STD Other Projects S124 getting an OM606 and maybe 722.6 in Ireland - lots of questions

S124 getting an OM606 and maybe 722.6 in Ireland - lots of questions

S124 getting an OM606 and maybe 722.6 in Ireland - lots of questions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

gn3dr
Naturally-aspirated

02-12-2018, 06:47 PM #1
Hi there
Long time owner of an OM606 engine here in Ireland to transplant into something. Initially I had sourced a 1979 Jaguar XJ12 that I bought for the OM606 but decided against ripping out the V12 so that’s staying petrol.
So last year I bought a 1986 S124 300TE. The M103 engine was dead (piston no. 5 seems to be missing when looking down the spark plug hole with a borescope! Rolleyes )

The OM606 came in a ’99 E300 and I bought the whole car as a donor so I have the 722.6 gearbox and all wiring and ancillaries. I still have this complete car in case I need further parts from it.

I’ve done some searching but am struggling to find a single source of all the info I need so I’m hoping with a few specific questions here I can save myself a lot of time and heartache.

What I want to end up with is a daily driver with decent power and economy so I decided to stick with the stock ECU and turbo for now. I got the ECU de-immobilised in the UK. Also influencing this choice is that I can’t afford a modified manual injection pump at the moment.

I was toying with converting to a manual gearbox and still haven’t 100% decided but I’m also thinking that the automatic is just more suited to the S124. It would have to be the 722.6 though if I keep the automatic. I did initially have plans to use the original W210 gearbox controller but reading a bit online it seems that this is a lot of hassle. So if I go auto I will probably be getting Ole’s controller once I can gather up the cash to purchase it.

So to the questions that I have that hopefully someone will be able to answer

1.      For the engine mounts I believe the M103 mounts are correct for mounting the OM606 engine straight in. The part numbers on these are R603 223 09 04 for the right one and R603 223 08 04. Is it as simple as just using these?

2.      Will the oil filter housing clear the bulkhead or does this have to be changed to a N/A OM606  W124 unit?

3.      What gearbox mount do people use typically?

4.      I believe that the prop shaft will have to be shorter that the stock 300TE one – is there any specific measurement of how much shorter that someone with experience of this might have or even a combination of off the shelf Mercedes parts that will work?

5.      I still have the donor E300 W210 – should I look at using the diff from that or will the 300TE unit be OK?

6.      I believe that the anti-roll bar will foul the OM606 sump. I could cut and weld the sump for clearance or look at the V8 sway bar (impossible to find one of them in Ireland though). Is there enough clearance inside the sump to do a cut and weld?)

7.      My ECU has the immobiliser removed with an emulator installed. I was under the impression that this will run the engine fine in Isolation and not go into limp mode if not connected to the W210 ECU’s such as gearbox, CAN etc. Is this correct? I read on another forum that it will go into limp without the signals form the Merc gearbox controller - lots of conflicting information around the web.

8.      Has anyone on here used the stock ECU + the Ole controller – if so how do you work with the TPS signal to engine ECU and Ole controller?

9.      Would you remove the EGR or not – I’m thinking yes. If so is it the wiring and diode mod that is easiest and works best?

10.   What are people’s thought’s on manual vs auto? What would you do? Getting a manual box in Ireland should not be too hard. The pedal box situation might be a bit of a pain though although there are a few manual W124's around.

11.   Given my car is an S124 it has the hydraulic rear suspension. Would I be better off getting a pump from an E300 estate (wagon) or try to use the pump from the M103 (if it will even fit?)

12.   Would you stick with using the original petrol fuel pump with a suitable pressure regulator to feed the OM606 injection pump or get a different pump? What pressure does the feed pump usually run at?

13.   For speedometer solutions I believe my options are integrate a W126 electronic speedo, or use a converter such as Dakota digital?

14.  I know I am going to have a bit of a tight squeeze with the downpipe due to the steering box and right hand drive. I believe it can be done though...or would I be better off making a new manifold.

Sorry for all the questions. I had been following on here for years back when ECU’s weren’t being immobilised very much and my original intention was to try use everything from the W210 – now though I would prefer to get the quickest solution to getting this car on the road while maintaining reliability and doing it for reasonable costs.

Appreciate any help you could give.
gn3dr
02-12-2018, 06:47 PM #1

Hi there
Long time owner of an OM606 engine here in Ireland to transplant into something. Initially I had sourced a 1979 Jaguar XJ12 that I bought for the OM606 but decided against ripping out the V12 so that’s staying petrol.
So last year I bought a 1986 S124 300TE. The M103 engine was dead (piston no. 5 seems to be missing when looking down the spark plug hole with a borescope! Rolleyes )

The OM606 came in a ’99 E300 and I bought the whole car as a donor so I have the 722.6 gearbox and all wiring and ancillaries. I still have this complete car in case I need further parts from it.

I’ve done some searching but am struggling to find a single source of all the info I need so I’m hoping with a few specific questions here I can save myself a lot of time and heartache.

What I want to end up with is a daily driver with decent power and economy so I decided to stick with the stock ECU and turbo for now. I got the ECU de-immobilised in the UK. Also influencing this choice is that I can’t afford a modified manual injection pump at the moment.

I was toying with converting to a manual gearbox and still haven’t 100% decided but I’m also thinking that the automatic is just more suited to the S124. It would have to be the 722.6 though if I keep the automatic. I did initially have plans to use the original W210 gearbox controller but reading a bit online it seems that this is a lot of hassle. So if I go auto I will probably be getting Ole’s controller once I can gather up the cash to purchase it.

So to the questions that I have that hopefully someone will be able to answer

1.      For the engine mounts I believe the M103 mounts are correct for mounting the OM606 engine straight in. The part numbers on these are R603 223 09 04 for the right one and R603 223 08 04. Is it as simple as just using these?

2.      Will the oil filter housing clear the bulkhead or does this have to be changed to a N/A OM606  W124 unit?

3.      What gearbox mount do people use typically?

4.      I believe that the prop shaft will have to be shorter that the stock 300TE one – is there any specific measurement of how much shorter that someone with experience of this might have or even a combination of off the shelf Mercedes parts that will work?

5.      I still have the donor E300 W210 – should I look at using the diff from that or will the 300TE unit be OK?

6.      I believe that the anti-roll bar will foul the OM606 sump. I could cut and weld the sump for clearance or look at the V8 sway bar (impossible to find one of them in Ireland though). Is there enough clearance inside the sump to do a cut and weld?)

7.      My ECU has the immobiliser removed with an emulator installed. I was under the impression that this will run the engine fine in Isolation and not go into limp mode if not connected to the W210 ECU’s such as gearbox, CAN etc. Is this correct? I read on another forum that it will go into limp without the signals form the Merc gearbox controller - lots of conflicting information around the web.

8.      Has anyone on here used the stock ECU + the Ole controller – if so how do you work with the TPS signal to engine ECU and Ole controller?

9.      Would you remove the EGR or not – I’m thinking yes. If so is it the wiring and diode mod that is easiest and works best?

10.   What are people’s thought’s on manual vs auto? What would you do? Getting a manual box in Ireland should not be too hard. The pedal box situation might be a bit of a pain though although there are a few manual W124's around.

11.   Given my car is an S124 it has the hydraulic rear suspension. Would I be better off getting a pump from an E300 estate (wagon) or try to use the pump from the M103 (if it will even fit?)

12.   Would you stick with using the original petrol fuel pump with a suitable pressure regulator to feed the OM606 injection pump or get a different pump? What pressure does the feed pump usually run at?

13.   For speedometer solutions I believe my options are integrate a W126 electronic speedo, or use a converter such as Dakota digital?

14.  I know I am going to have a bit of a tight squeeze with the downpipe due to the steering box and right hand drive. I believe it can be done though...or would I be better off making a new manifold.

Sorry for all the questions. I had been following on here for years back when ECU’s weren’t being immobilised very much and my original intention was to try use everything from the W210 – now though I would prefer to get the quickest solution to getting this car on the road while maintaining reliability and doing it for reasonable costs.

Appreciate any help you could give.

pryantcc
TA 0301

02-16-2018, 07:13 AM #2
Hi,
I can answer a couple of these.

4. I believe that the prop shaft will have to be shorter that the stock 300TE one – is there any specific measurement of how much shorter that someone with experience of this might have or even a combination of off the shelf Mercedes parts that will work?
Best thing to do here is to install the engine/box and then measure what you need.

5. I still have the donor E300 W210 – should I look at using the diff from that or will the 300TE unit be OK?
Original probably OK once you're staying with stock power. Do you know what the gear ratio is in your 300TE diff? the W210 is 2.8something, so if yours is a bigger number, you will be cruising at higher RPM than designed. It's down to personal preference if this bothers you or not.

7. My ECU has the immobiliser removed with an emulator installed. I was under the impression that this will run the engine fine in Isolation and not go into limp mode if not connected to the W210 ECU’s such as gearbox, CAN etc. Is this correct? I read on another forum that it will go into limp without the signals form the Merc gearbox controller - lots of conflicting information around the web.
My EDC 606 runs fine with an ECU that has the immobiliser emulater thing fitted. No other computers present. No limping.

8. Has anyone on here used the stock ECU + the Ole controller – if so how do you work with the TPS signal to engine ECU and Ole controller?
Talk to Ole, I think you can just split the TPS wire and send it to both his controller ant the ECU.

9. Would you remove the EGR or not – I’m thinking yes. If so is it the wiring and diode mod that is easiest and works best?
Yes. Some people say you don't need to do anything other than physically blank it off. If you run into trouble, I guess you can always install the resistor & diode too.

12. Would you stick with using the original petrol fuel pump with a suitable pressure regulator to feed the OM606 injection pump or get a different pump? What pressure does the feed pump usually run at?
Your 606 is designed to run without any electronic fuel pump. It has a mechanical pump built into it. So dump the petrol pump and pipe straight through to your engine. You'll only need additional fuel if you're going to add big power.

1992 W201 190D 2.0L and 1971 W108 280SE with OM606, electronic pump and 6 speed manual gearbox.
pryantcc
02-16-2018, 07:13 AM #2

Hi,
I can answer a couple of these.

4. I believe that the prop shaft will have to be shorter that the stock 300TE one – is there any specific measurement of how much shorter that someone with experience of this might have or even a combination of off the shelf Mercedes parts that will work?
Best thing to do here is to install the engine/box and then measure what you need.

5. I still have the donor E300 W210 – should I look at using the diff from that or will the 300TE unit be OK?
Original probably OK once you're staying with stock power. Do you know what the gear ratio is in your 300TE diff? the W210 is 2.8something, so if yours is a bigger number, you will be cruising at higher RPM than designed. It's down to personal preference if this bothers you or not.

7. My ECU has the immobiliser removed with an emulator installed. I was under the impression that this will run the engine fine in Isolation and not go into limp mode if not connected to the W210 ECU’s such as gearbox, CAN etc. Is this correct? I read on another forum that it will go into limp without the signals form the Merc gearbox controller - lots of conflicting information around the web.
My EDC 606 runs fine with an ECU that has the immobiliser emulater thing fitted. No other computers present. No limping.

8. Has anyone on here used the stock ECU + the Ole controller – if so how do you work with the TPS signal to engine ECU and Ole controller?
Talk to Ole, I think you can just split the TPS wire and send it to both his controller ant the ECU.

9. Would you remove the EGR or not – I’m thinking yes. If so is it the wiring and diode mod that is easiest and works best?
Yes. Some people say you don't need to do anything other than physically blank it off. If you run into trouble, I guess you can always install the resistor & diode too.

12. Would you stick with using the original petrol fuel pump with a suitable pressure regulator to feed the OM606 injection pump or get a different pump? What pressure does the feed pump usually run at?
Your 606 is designed to run without any electronic fuel pump. It has a mechanical pump built into it. So dump the petrol pump and pipe straight through to your engine. You'll only need additional fuel if you're going to add big power.

1992 W201 190D 2.0L and 1971 W108 280SE with OM606, electronic pump and 6 speed manual gearbox.

gn3dr
Naturally-aspirated

02-19-2018, 03:56 PM #3
Thanks for that. Sorry for the late response - I wasn't notified of your reply.

My project took a change of direction last week. I saw an 1995 S124 with some rust issues advertised here in Kerry for parts or restoration. It's a OM606 n/a manual. So I decided to buy it. That will provide me with a gearbox, prop, pedal box, speedo, and lots of little bits which will get me up and running quicker. And I'll have an N/A engine left over to maybe stick a turbo on and put into something else. Although I'm not generally a fan of automatics, I was making an exception for the 124 as it just seems to suit Mercedes cars. I have a cheap daily driver S210 E200 Kompressor at the moment and the 722.6 box really does work well. However this manual parts car coming up was like a sign :-) So manual I go.
Here a link to my project thread on backroads.ie http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthrea...24-Estate)

How is your W108 coming along? I was only re-reading your thread last night on boards.ie
I see a 190D in your sig now as well. Any mad plans for that?
This post was last modified: 02-19-2018, 03:57 PM by gn3dr.
gn3dr
02-19-2018, 03:56 PM #3

Thanks for that. Sorry for the late response - I wasn't notified of your reply.

My project took a change of direction last week. I saw an 1995 S124 with some rust issues advertised here in Kerry for parts or restoration. It's a OM606 n/a manual. So I decided to buy it. That will provide me with a gearbox, prop, pedal box, speedo, and lots of little bits which will get me up and running quicker. And I'll have an N/A engine left over to maybe stick a turbo on and put into something else. Although I'm not generally a fan of automatics, I was making an exception for the 124 as it just seems to suit Mercedes cars. I have a cheap daily driver S210 E200 Kompressor at the moment and the 722.6 box really does work well. However this manual parts car coming up was like a sign :-) So manual I go.
Here a link to my project thread on backroads.ie http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthrea...24-Estate)

How is your W108 coming along? I was only re-reading your thread last night on boards.ie
I see a 190D in your sig now as well. Any mad plans for that?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average