STD Tuning Engine Engine looses power some times

Engine looses power some times

Engine looses power some times

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kurt45
Naturally-aspirated

12-16-2017, 10:14 AM #1
My first post here...

I drive a GD290 (non turbo), but recently the original engine broke.
I decided the swap it with a turbo version, but could not find any mercedes engines.
Instead i found a ssangyong turbo enigine om662, witch fit right ind, as this engine has a mechanical pump.

Only misfit is, the engine has a ELR control for the idle.
It also has a vacuum control for the idle.

The engine runs well, but some times it loses power for a few seconds and then the power comes back.
If the engine dies during a period where it has lost power, it is were hard to start.

I think it has do with air in the fuelsystem, but all hoses and filters have been changed, all the way to the fuel tank. I still se some bubles in the first filter, but no bubles in the hoses for the fuel pump.

I am starting to suspect the ELR system to cause to problem, as last time the engine died, i put 12V shortly to the ELR unit, and the engine started right afterwards.

Is it possible to hook up the ELR system so it works as intended?

If it not is the ELR that causes the power loses, what is it then, any suggestions?

Photo of the fuel pump:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/njag1qqSUZTJxrW53
This post was last modified: 12-16-2017, 10:19 AM by Kurt45.
Kurt45
12-16-2017, 10:14 AM #1

My first post here...

I drive a GD290 (non turbo), but recently the original engine broke.
I decided the swap it with a turbo version, but could not find any mercedes engines.
Instead i found a ssangyong turbo enigine om662, witch fit right ind, as this engine has a mechanical pump.

Only misfit is, the engine has a ELR control for the idle.
It also has a vacuum control for the idle.

The engine runs well, but some times it loses power for a few seconds and then the power comes back.
If the engine dies during a period where it has lost power, it is were hard to start.

I think it has do with air in the fuelsystem, but all hoses and filters have been changed, all the way to the fuel tank. I still se some bubles in the first filter, but no bubles in the hoses for the fuel pump.

I am starting to suspect the ELR system to cause to problem, as last time the engine died, i put 12V shortly to the ELR unit, and the engine started right afterwards.

Is it possible to hook up the ELR system so it works as intended?

If it not is the ELR that causes the power loses, what is it then, any suggestions?

Photo of the fuel pump:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/njag1qqSUZTJxrW53

barrote
Superturbo

12-16-2017, 04:17 PM #2
Well , welcome...
Witchcraft my friend is very hard to solve...
I deal with all kind of pumps and one like that i never saw before. But anyway the ELR solenoid is not the problem, cause the thing u call ELR in the back of yor pump is the electronic idle increase. Without power does nothing and with around 1 to 7v increases idle for many needs the engine has. The thing on the side of the pump is most probably related to EGR control. And the other for rack position.

But u can always hook the fueling system u had in the previous engine as it will work in that despite the differences as a 662 is a 602...

The witchcraft thing, well fuel starvation shut dwn is easy to troubleshoot. Swap the prefilter in the filter body as that thing is
Is prone to air leaks.

Keep posting we might be able to help.
Regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
12-16-2017, 04:17 PM #2

Well , welcome...
Witchcraft my friend is very hard to solve...
I deal with all kind of pumps and one like that i never saw before. But anyway the ELR solenoid is not the problem, cause the thing u call ELR in the back of yor pump is the electronic idle increase. Without power does nothing and with around 1 to 7v increases idle for many needs the engine has. The thing on the side of the pump is most probably related to EGR control. And the other for rack position.

But u can always hook the fueling system u had in the previous engine as it will work in that despite the differences as a 662 is a 602...

The witchcraft thing, well fuel starvation shut dwn is easy to troubleshoot. Swap the prefilter in the filter body as that thing is
Is prone to air leaks.

Keep posting we might be able to help.
Regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Kurt45
Naturally-aspirated

12-16-2017, 08:02 PM #3
Thanks for the reply.

I already swapped the prefilter, and it didn't change anything. I'll try changing the metal filter, but it was all new, as i changed it when i swapped the engine.

For now I have no EGR system, as i couldn't make it fit, as I use an other intake manifold.
I swapped the rackpositioner for a vacuum type for the transmission.

I'm glad that the fuel starvation isn't caused by the ELR system. 
Could it be the ALDA system then?

I can't use the pump from my previous engine as it has no turbo.
Kurt45
12-16-2017, 08:02 PM #3

Thanks for the reply.

I already swapped the prefilter, and it didn't change anything. I'll try changing the metal filter, but it was all new, as i changed it when i swapped the engine.

For now I have no EGR system, as i couldn't make it fit, as I use an other intake manifold.
I swapped the rackpositioner for a vacuum type for the transmission.

I'm glad that the fuel starvation isn't caused by the ELR system. 
Could it be the ALDA system then?

I can't use the pump from my previous engine as it has no turbo.

barrote
Superturbo

12-17-2017, 05:29 AM #4
Hy,
2 things, ALDA/ADA device is a altitude compensation element, as when turbo is blowing there is altitude change inside the manifold. This compensation elements act by restricting fuel flow in the absence of high pressure. (Low altitude) It can restrict as much as 15% of what was previously set by the pump builder. Not enough to stall the engine. One thing is that ALDA/ADA are the same device one is meant for turbo thence high press compensation and the other for N/A engines and compensates altitude , one fit the same place as the other. They do the same job as the ALDA too compensates for altitude.

Second is, i dont know how much your engines differ in fueling , for that i need engine code and pumps PES number. But any 5 cyl pump can be used in any 5 cyl engine. Injection quantity can be modded as wish...

Anyway this is a STD forum i asume u want some kind of power increase. If so PM for details.

The rings pre filter are the problem.... not the filter.

FD,