STD Tuning Engine OM606 Diesel in oil?

OM606 Diesel in oil?

OM606 Diesel in oil?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mr.Emo
Nissan Patrol -> 606 conversion.

11-13-2017, 02:16 PM #1
Hello. 

I'm trying to revive a om606 engine. I've posted another post earlier about bad timing since I had to reinstall a pump without having basic timing. I think I ended up with putting the pump 180° wrong.

However the engine did not start and I cranked it for maybe 10-15 minutes overall thinking it was air in the system.

After putting the pump correctly the engine fired but was producing a lot of smoke.  We were thinking it might have been stuck piston rings since the engine had been standing still for 1-2 years with oil and coolant.

I have now taken the engine out of the car to do a teardown and changing some parts before I put it into the new car. But when I tapped the oil it just never stopped comming. The oil was very waterly like and was very thin. 

When everything was out I measured how much oil came out of the engine and it was almost 12 litres. And I think this is why the engine was smoking and breathing so much in the first place.

To rule out that there was water in the oil. I did a test mixing oil from the engine and clean diesel in a clear plastic bottle to see if they separated after a period of time. They didn't.

That makes me believe that there must be 3-4 litres of diesel in the oil. The om606 engine normally take 7.5 litres of oil?

And if this is the case how did it get there? 
Could it be stuck piston rings and the diesel passed the pistons when I was cranking the engine? 
The previous owner removed the old diesel pump due to some malfunction but I don't know the cause. Could the old pump have leaked internally? 

I can't really think of any other reasons to why there was so much oil in the engine. Maybe the previous owner just added more oil when the engine started running bad(alcoholic). But that doesn't explain why the oil was so thin and waterlike. 

Thanks for any answers!
This post was last modified: 11-13-2017, 11:54 PM by Mr.Emo.
Mr.Emo
11-13-2017, 02:16 PM #1

Hello. 

I'm trying to revive a om606 engine. I've posted another post earlier about bad timing since I had to reinstall a pump without having basic timing. I think I ended up with putting the pump 180° wrong.

However the engine did not start and I cranked it for maybe 10-15 minutes overall thinking it was air in the system.

After putting the pump correctly the engine fired but was producing a lot of smoke.  We were thinking it might have been stuck piston rings since the engine had been standing still for 1-2 years with oil and coolant.

I have now taken the engine out of the car to do a teardown and changing some parts before I put it into the new car. But when I tapped the oil it just never stopped comming. The oil was very waterly like and was very thin. 

When everything was out I measured how much oil came out of the engine and it was almost 12 litres. And I think this is why the engine was smoking and breathing so much in the first place.

To rule out that there was water in the oil. I did a test mixing oil from the engine and clean diesel in a clear plastic bottle to see if they separated after a period of time. They didn't.

That makes me believe that there must be 3-4 litres of diesel in the oil. The om606 engine normally take 7.5 litres of oil?

And if this is the case how did it get there? 
Could it be stuck piston rings and the diesel passed the pistons when I was cranking the engine? 
The previous owner removed the old diesel pump due to some malfunction but I don't know the cause. Could the old pump have leaked internally? 

I can't really think of any other reasons to why there was so much oil in the engine. Maybe the previous owner just added more oil when the engine started running bad(alcoholic). But that doesn't explain why the oil was so thin and waterlike. 

Thanks for any answers!

firen456
TA 0301

11-13-2017, 03:32 PM #2
Hi,

maybe the prepump is leaking diesel into the oil system. There is a lifter pushing the piston in it which is driven by the pump cam. It is sealed with a o-ring that could be leaky... Overhaul the prepump to except it...
firen456
11-13-2017, 03:32 PM #2

Hi,

maybe the prepump is leaking diesel into the oil system. There is a lifter pushing the piston in it which is driven by the pump cam. It is sealed with a o-ring that could be leaky... Overhaul the prepump to except it...

erx
w202 om606

11-13-2017, 05:21 PM #3
Hi, topic should be diesel in oil not diesel in fuel.  Smile

I belive there is no problem with piston rings and there is no way that 3-4 liters of fuel could go through rings to sump. With 15 minutes of cranking maybe few grams of fuel is injected to the engine.

If there is 3-4 liters of diesel fuel in oil then it should definitely smell like diesel. Probably there was internal fuel pump leak.
erx
11-13-2017, 05:21 PM #3

Hi, topic should be diesel in oil not diesel in fuel.  Smile

I belive there is no problem with piston rings and there is no way that 3-4 liters of fuel could go through rings to sump. With 15 minutes of cranking maybe few grams of fuel is injected to the engine.

If there is 3-4 liters of diesel fuel in oil then it should definitely smell like diesel. Probably there was internal fuel pump leak.

barrote
Superturbo

11-14-2017, 02:49 AM #4
And what do u want to do now... diesel in oil in diesels is a common failure...
MB engines usually need repair when compression is low due to ring failure, and or head gasket.
Besides that they are very strong compared to others.

Btw. Diesel usually bleeds into oil through high pressure system leak into oil system, that is somehow common in rotary pumps and highly uncommom in line pumps. But it may happen. It was over time....
Good luck

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
11-14-2017, 02:49 AM #4

And what do u want to do now... diesel in oil in diesels is a common failure...
MB engines usually need repair when compression is low due to ring failure, and or head gasket.
Besides that they are very strong compared to others.

Btw. Diesel usually bleeds into oil through high pressure system leak into oil system, that is somehow common in rotary pumps and highly uncommom in line pumps. But it may happen. It was over time....
Good luck

FD,