STD Tuning Engine Om606.91 vs. Om606.96(turbo).

Om606.91 vs. Om606.96(turbo).

Om606.91 vs. Om606.96(turbo).

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Evenglass
GT2256V

10-31-2017, 06:50 PM #1
I have a running 606.91x non turbo. I'd like to add a turbo. What are the differences? What can I change to upgrade it? It is worth it? I can get rods and pistons cheap from a 606.96x .
Evenglass
10-31-2017, 06:50 PM #1

I have a running 606.91x non turbo. I'd like to add a turbo. What are the differences? What can I change to upgrade it? It is worth it? I can get rods and pistons cheap from a 606.96x .

barrote
Superturbo

10-31-2017, 11:29 PM #2
Hy,
major concern is not pistons and rods, those are though enough to withstand the turbo. Of course there is some diferences in piston and rod... visible are rod wrist pin diameter and colour code. Turbo piston has a crown cooling chanel both have oil cooling.
And some other minor diff along the block and hardware.
Head assy is what is really diff. Expecialy the valve train!!!
Exaust valves and springs and cams differ. Not that u can't turbo it with success but at least the valve springs got to be upgraded.
If interested PM me for those parts.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
10-31-2017, 11:29 PM #2

Hy,
major concern is not pistons and rods, those are though enough to withstand the turbo. Of course there is some diferences in piston and rod... visible are rod wrist pin diameter and colour code. Turbo piston has a crown cooling chanel both have oil cooling.
Exaust valves and springs and cams differ. Not that u can't turbo it with success but at least the valve springs got to be upgraded.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Evenglass
GT2256V

11-06-2017, 09:58 AM #3
(10-31-2017, 11:29 PM)barrote Hy,
I will contact you for sure when I'm ready.
Evenglass
11-06-2017, 09:58 AM #3

(10-31-2017, 11:29 PM)barrote Hy,
I will contact you for sure when I'm ready.

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

11-07-2017, 06:09 AM #4
(10-31-2017, 06:50 PM)Evenglass I have a running 606.91x non turbo. I'd like to add a turbo. What are the differences? What can I change to upgrade it? It is worth it? I can get rods and pistons cheap from a 606.96x .

Have you considered supercharging rather than turbo? Sure, all the factory turbo parts are "bolt-on" but then you're left with an inferior version of a easy to find stock turbo motor.
If you plan to make a larger turbo fit with custom pipes for performance that's a fair amount of work and/or cost.
I think an Eaton M90 mounted on the passenger fender, single boost pipe* to NA intake crossover & an extra long belt with tensioner pulley would cost undef $300 total. Add an air:water intercooler in place of the boost pipe* for cooler charge. Easily under $500 total and boost on demand w/o lag.
Well, thats what I'd do anyhow...
CRD4x4
11-07-2017, 06:09 AM #4

(10-31-2017, 06:50 PM)Evenglass I have a running 606.91x non turbo. I'd like to add a turbo. What are the differences? What can I change to upgrade it? It is worth it? I can get rods and pistons cheap from a 606.96x .

Have you considered supercharging rather than turbo? Sure, all the factory turbo parts are "bolt-on" but then you're left with an inferior version of a easy to find stock turbo motor.
If you plan to make a larger turbo fit with custom pipes for performance that's a fair amount of work and/or cost.
I think an Eaton M90 mounted on the passenger fender, single boost pipe* to NA intake crossover & an extra long belt with tensioner pulley would cost undef $300 total. Add an air:water intercooler in place of the boost pipe* for cooler charge. Easily under $500 total and boost on demand w/o lag.
Well, thats what I'd do anyhow...

barrote
Superturbo

11-08-2017, 02:52 AM #5
That is something that i really would like to have feedback
...the M90 is laying around for some time...
But some considerations ... what pulley ratios should one start with? And about high idle ? Won't it pull too much HP ?
Do u know someone with one ?

FD,