STD Tuning Engine High power OM606 Harmonic Dampener

High power OM606 Harmonic Dampener

High power OM606 Harmonic Dampener

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

whipplem104
Holset

10-05-2017, 12:46 PM #1
I wanted to update everyone that we have had this dampener on now for quite a while and have been beating on this engine pretty hard and I just checked the ignition timing and it is still spot on against the dampener. Which means it has not moved. Before with the stock dampener I think we made a half dozen highway pulls and about 8-9 dyno pulls and two drag strip runs and it moved 10-15 degrees. 

If anyone is interested in one PM me. I have pictures on the build thread. THey are SFI cert as well. We used a stud and nut to mount which I can supply as well.
whipplem104
10-05-2017, 12:46 PM #1

I wanted to update everyone that we have had this dampener on now for quite a while and have been beating on this engine pretty hard and I just checked the ignition timing and it is still spot on against the dampener. Which means it has not moved. Before with the stock dampener I think we made a half dozen highway pulls and about 8-9 dyno pulls and two drag strip runs and it moved 10-15 degrees. 

If anyone is interested in one PM me. I have pictures on the build thread. THey are SFI cert as well. We used a stud and nut to mount which I can supply as well.

barrote
Superturbo

10-05-2017, 01:38 PM #2
Question!
When u noticed the harmonic dampener had turned those 10/15 degrees , how many degrees did the crank sprocket moved? If it didn't, how did u prevent it from moving?
Regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
10-05-2017, 01:38 PM #2

Question!
When u noticed the harmonic dampener had turned those 10/15 degrees , how many degrees did the crank sprocket moved? If it didn't, how did u prevent it from moving?
Regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

whipplem104
Holset

10-05-2017, 01:58 PM #3
THe crank sprocket did not move. They have separate keys for location. THe dampener would have had to spin that as well but it did not.
THere is no need to fix the sprocket though. The dampener moves of its own inertia from the increase in crank harmonics that are not being dampened. THe new dampener actually cancels out those harmonics better and therefore it does not want to spin.
I hope this answers your questions.
whipplem104
10-05-2017, 01:58 PM #3

THe crank sprocket did not move. They have separate keys for location. THe dampener would have had to spin that as well but it did not.
THere is no need to fix the sprocket though. The dampener moves of its own inertia from the increase in crank harmonics that are not being dampened. THe new dampener actually cancels out those harmonics better and therefore it does not want to spin.
I hope this answers your questions.

barrote
Superturbo

10-06-2017, 03:43 AM #4
Yes it does and it does not...
Thing is your explanation does make sense! My builds are dedicated to 5 cyl engines so far, (I mean highly moded ) and i haven't had those issues in a 5 cyl, but my engines are for street driving, so diff targuets and speeds.
Although i had modified some 6 cyl , only once one harmonic damper didn't seem right , the time marks did not match, but it was a G wagon and after some talking with the owner i forgot about it and i belive somebody did remove the damper and didn't fit it in the right place.
My question was more related to the sprocket, cause in the 5 cylinder engines the woodrof key was not meant to secure, but to install, so if it wants to turn it will turn and probably turn the sprocket with it. Wich is not good at all.
Thanks.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
10-06-2017, 03:43 AM #4

Yes it does and it does not...
Thing is your explanation does make sense! My builds are dedicated to 5 cyl engines so far, (I mean highly moded ) and i haven't had those issues in a 5 cyl, but my engines are for street driving, so diff targuets and speeds.
Although i had modified some 6 cyl , only once one harmonic damper didn't seem right , the time marks did not match, but it was a G wagon and after some talking with the owner i forgot about it and i belive somebody did remove the damper and didn't fit it in the right place.
My question was more related to the sprocket, cause in the 5 cylinder engines the woodrof key was not meant to secure, but to install, so if it wants to turn it will turn and probably turn the sprocket with it. Wich is not good at all.
Thanks.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

10-06-2017, 06:33 AM #5
Who makes this dampener?
CRD4x4
10-06-2017, 06:33 AM #5

Who makes this dampener?

whipplem104
Holset

10-06-2017, 08:05 AM #6
I had it designed and manufactured by BHJ. Really great to work with.
whipplem104
10-06-2017, 08:05 AM #6

I had it designed and manufactured by BHJ. Really great to work with.

Mr.Emo
Nissan Patrol -> 606 conversion.

10-06-2017, 08:19 AM #7
Pictures? Price?
Mr.Emo
10-06-2017, 08:19 AM #7

Pictures? Price?

whipplem104
Holset

10-06-2017, 09:04 AM #8
Like I said I for some reason cannot get pictures to load here anymore. Please take a look at Sound German Automotive Facebook page for pictures and pricing.
whipplem104
10-06-2017, 09:04 AM #8

Like I said I for some reason cannot get pictures to load here anymore. Please take a look at Sound German Automotive Facebook page for pictures and pricing.

whipplem104
Holset

10-06-2017, 09:07 AM #9
(10-06-2017, 03:43 AM)barrote Yes it does and it does not...
Thanks.

THe woodrof key is always just for alignment. It has nothing to do with holding the parts in position. It is the clamping force on the crank snout that holds them in place. Ideally you would even drill the crank out even further to get the threads positioned behind the crank sprocket so that as you tighten the bolt that it is compressing the crank snout rather than pulling on it through the sprocket and pulley.
whipplem104
10-06-2017, 09:07 AM #9

(10-06-2017, 03:43 AM)barrote Yes it does and it does not...
Thanks.

THe woodrof key is always just for alignment. It has nothing to do with holding the parts in position. It is the clamping force on the crank snout that holds them in place. Ideally you would even drill the crank out even further to get the threads positioned behind the crank sprocket so that as you tighten the bolt that it is compressing the crank snout rather than pulling on it through the sprocket and pulley.

barrote
Superturbo

10-09-2017, 05:27 AM #10
I guess we´re lucky then, at the moment we aren´t experiencing those problems in the engines we mod, never know about the future, good to know there´s some solution for the problema.
thanks.

FD,