STD Tuning Engine om617 won t start

om617 won t start

om617 won t start

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cstolaircraft
K26-2

09-25-2017, 09:53 PM #1
So I have a om617 turbo in a Toyota pickup. I originally had some problems with it over heating which was fixed by moving the oil coolers away from the radiator. During that oil cooler move one of the lines blew on a test drive roasting the rob bearings everything else looked good so I put new bearings in the bottom and put it back together. I now have a starting issue I requires ether to start unless really hot. ip time with timing tool at 14 atdc cam timed right glow plugs good compression 300 or greater on 1-4 cyl 5 not tested because of need to remove oil filter housing. Once it starts it runs great will chirp a 33 going from 1st to 2sec gear. I have even tried a extra ip pump.

Any ideas?
Cstolaircraft
09-25-2017, 09:53 PM #1

So I have a om617 turbo in a Toyota pickup. I originally had some problems with it over heating which was fixed by moving the oil coolers away from the radiator. During that oil cooler move one of the lines blew on a test drive roasting the rob bearings everything else looked good so I put new bearings in the bottom and put it back together. I now have a starting issue I requires ether to start unless really hot. ip time with timing tool at 14 atdc cam timed right glow plugs good compression 300 or greater on 1-4 cyl 5 not tested because of need to remove oil filter housing. Once it starts it runs great will chirp a 33 going from 1st to 2sec gear. I have even tried a extra ip pump.

Any ideas?

R-3350
Dreaming of compounds

09-25-2017, 11:13 PM #2
had a customer come in with a car with severely leaking oil cooler lines ended up running it out of oil and it smoked the cam in the pump (ran it out again later after fixing it cause he didn't want to pay for lines and it sawed the block in half when it threw a rod). try removing the lines off the pump and briefly crank it to see if fuel is coming out of all the DV's. i might also look at the injectors and see how they are.
R-3350
09-25-2017, 11:13 PM #2

had a customer come in with a car with severely leaking oil cooler lines ended up running it out of oil and it smoked the cam in the pump (ran it out again later after fixing it cause he didn't want to pay for lines and it sawed the block in half when it threw a rod). try removing the lines off the pump and briefly crank it to see if fuel is coming out of all the DV's. i might also look at the injectors and see how they are.

Cstolaircraft
K26-2

09-26-2017, 01:02 AM #3
Well I found the problem....... the connection on the relay for the glow plugs was bad.... I checked the relay and the plugs... didn t check the wire going to the plugs..... oops.
Cstolaircraft
09-26-2017, 01:02 AM #3

Well I found the problem....... the connection on the relay for the glow plugs was bad.... I checked the relay and the plugs... didn t check the wire going to the plugs..... oops.

gregman_1
Naturally-aspirated

09-30-2017, 07:33 PM #4
(09-26-2017, 01:02 AM)Cstolaircraft Well I found the problem....... the connection on the relay for the glow plugs was bad.... I checked the relay and the plugs... didn t check the wire going to the plugs..... oops.

That's interesting. My OM617 starts just fine without the glow plugs working. It's a little rough for the first 10 seconds or so when cold but it will do it. When it's warm it cranks right up. My glow plugs don't work at all (bad timer).
gregman_1
09-30-2017, 07:33 PM #4

(09-26-2017, 01:02 AM)Cstolaircraft Well I found the problem....... the connection on the relay for the glow plugs was bad.... I checked the relay and the plugs... didn t check the wire going to the plugs..... oops.

That's interesting. My OM617 starts just fine without the glow plugs working. It's a little rough for the first 10 seconds or so when cold but it will do it. When it's warm it cranks right up. My glow plugs don't work at all (bad timer).

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average