STD Tuning Engine thermal reflective coatings instead of oil squirters?

thermal reflective coatings instead of oil squirters?

thermal reflective coatings instead of oil squirters?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

biggriz86
Naturally-aspirated

08-07-2008, 03:03 AM #1
So as ive been looking around on this site, and a few others, researching as much as i can about these old diesels, the issue of turbocharging N/A engines keeps coming up. One of the issues that is almost always brought up is the lack of oil squirters on N/A engines and the danger of damaging the pistons because of the lack of this piston cooling feature. I was wondering, what if you avoided heating the piston in the first place by applying a thermal reflective coating? the same coating could also be applied to the cylinder head on the combustion chamber to avoid cracking the head. and the same coating inside the exhaust port would further limit heat transfer into the head, avoiding the big crack, and contributing to turbo efficiency by maintaining exhaust gas temp and therefore velocity.

anyone thought about, or better yet, tried it?
biggriz86
08-07-2008, 03:03 AM #1

So as ive been looking around on this site, and a few others, researching as much as i can about these old diesels, the issue of turbocharging N/A engines keeps coming up. One of the issues that is almost always brought up is the lack of oil squirters on N/A engines and the danger of damaging the pistons because of the lack of this piston cooling feature. I was wondering, what if you avoided heating the piston in the first place by applying a thermal reflective coating? the same coating could also be applied to the cylinder head on the combustion chamber to avoid cracking the head. and the same coating inside the exhaust port would further limit heat transfer into the head, avoiding the big crack, and contributing to turbo efficiency by maintaining exhaust gas temp and therefore velocity.

anyone thought about, or better yet, tried it?

ForcedInduction
Banned

08-07-2008, 08:07 AM #2
For what it would cost to do that, you could get an entire used turbo engine and not have to worry about the lack of piston squirters.

Any engine can get ceramic coating, its only a matter of getting it done. The Finns have been doing it and many other things to their superturbo engines for years but they also put upwards of $10,000 into their engines to get 400hp+ reliably.

They really have a lot they can teach us, pity Finnish is such a difficult language to learn or get translated.
ForcedInduction
08-07-2008, 08:07 AM #2

For what it would cost to do that, you could get an entire used turbo engine and not have to worry about the lack of piston squirters.

Any engine can get ceramic coating, its only a matter of getting it done. The Finns have been doing it and many other things to their superturbo engines for years but they also put upwards of $10,000 into their engines to get 400hp+ reliably.

They really have a lot they can teach us, pity Finnish is such a difficult language to learn or get translated.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average