STD Tuning Engine OM606 Air Filtration

OM606 Air Filtration

OM606 Air Filtration

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-14-2017, 01:25 PM #1
I installed a filterminder latching vacuum gauge at the clean side of the factory air box and found 22in of H2O after only moderate driving with stock settings.  The EGR mixer has been hollowed out which might affect measured boost a little when the flow rate is high.  The testing was made with a brand new Mann filter.  Actually, the result was so bad that I tried two different filters made in two different countries (Turkey/Germany).  Same result. 

That is a lot of suction for the turbo to overcome.  I guess it is possible that the turbo is over-boosting and moving more air than it is supposed to.  The ECU ought to flag that though.

Did anyone else measure the actual filter restriction?  What are people using for air filtration?
AlanMcR
06-14-2017, 01:25 PM #1

I installed a filterminder latching vacuum gauge at the clean side of the factory air box and found 22in of H2O after only moderate driving with stock settings.  The EGR mixer has been hollowed out which might affect measured boost a little when the flow rate is high.  The testing was made with a brand new Mann filter.  Actually, the result was so bad that I tried two different filters made in two different countries (Turkey/Germany).  Same result. 

That is a lot of suction for the turbo to overcome.  I guess it is possible that the turbo is over-boosting and moving more air than it is supposed to.  The ECU ought to flag that though.

Did anyone else measure the actual filter restriction?  What are people using for air filtration?

barrote
Superturbo

06-14-2017, 04:38 PM #2
Nothing or china crap performance screens...
This for street driving hehe.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
06-14-2017, 04:38 PM #2

Nothing or china crap performance screens...
This for street driving hehe.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

raysorenson
Superturbo

06-15-2017, 10:10 PM #3
GTFO. What chassis?
raysorenson
06-15-2017, 10:10 PM #3

GTFO. What chassis?

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

06-16-2017, 08:47 AM #4
I'd imagine that the G would have some special military style air filter housing available that's waterproof and can be used with a snorkel. Something similar to what's on hummer h1? Then you could buy a pallet of surpluss filters to last a lifetime for pennies on the dollar. Just a thought.
CRD4x4
06-16-2017, 08:47 AM #4

I'd imagine that the G would have some special military style air filter housing available that's waterproof and can be used with a snorkel. Something similar to what's on hummer h1? Then you could buy a pallet of surpluss filters to last a lifetime for pennies on the dollar. Just a thought.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-17-2017, 06:02 PM #5
The the OM606 filter box on the G is identical to the E300 air filter box. The air intake is rather unfortunately low and MB compensated for that by beefing up the filter with a steel backing plate. That prevents the filter from blowing out if it swallows water. The water sharply raises the air filter resistance and that effectively waterboards the air intake, stopping the engine. If anything, the G air filter moves less air.
AlanMcR
06-17-2017, 06:02 PM #5

The the OM606 filter box on the G is identical to the E300 air filter box. The air intake is rather unfortunately low and MB compensated for that by beefing up the filter with a steel backing plate. That prevents the filter from blowing out if it swallows water. The water sharply raises the air filter resistance and that effectively waterboards the air intake, stopping the engine. If anything, the G air filter moves less air.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-17-2017, 06:03 PM #6
The the OM606 filter box on the G is identical to the E300 air filter box. The air intake is rather unfortunately low and MB compensated for that by beefing up the filter with a steel backing plate. That prevents the filter from blowing out if the intake swallows water. The water sharply raises the air filter resistance and that effectively waterboards the air intake, stopping the engine. If anything, the G air filter moves less air.
AlanMcR
06-17-2017, 06:03 PM #6

The the OM606 filter box on the G is identical to the E300 air filter box. The air intake is rather unfortunately low and MB compensated for that by beefing up the filter with a steel backing plate. That prevents the filter from blowing out if the intake swallows water. The water sharply raises the air filter resistance and that effectively waterboards the air intake, stopping the engine. If anything, the G air filter moves less air.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

06-19-2017, 10:13 AM #7
It might not hurt to look at the big round paper filters. I forget the #, but there is one that fits nicely over 3" pipe. It wouldn't be too hard to plumb it in and slap together a housing from a mini keg.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
06-19-2017, 10:13 AM #7

It might not hurt to look at the big round paper filters. I forget the #, but there is one that fits nicely over 3" pipe. It wouldn't be too hard to plumb it in and slap together a housing from a mini keg.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-19-2017, 12:11 PM #8
There are lots of online calculators for engine airflow.  Donaldson publishes a nice document on how to estimate air flow: http://india.donaldson.com/en/engine/sup...065857.pdf

This calculator (http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/calcboost.html) seems interesting for those trying to figure out boost levels.  The calculator is intended for turbo gas motors, but changing the air/fuel ratio to something like 16:1 and a V.E of 1.5+ should give turbo diesel relevant numbers.

Using that and the factory performance numbers I get ~320CFM.  Other calculators come up with 450CFM.  The corresponding filters are huge in comparison to the factory filter set. An efficient, but moderately restrictive filter (8"H2O at 348CFM) is 14" x 17" x 7".
This post was last modified: 06-19-2017, 12:16 PM by AlanMcR.
AlanMcR
06-19-2017, 12:11 PM #8

There are lots of online calculators for engine airflow.  Donaldson publishes a nice document on how to estimate air flow: http://india.donaldson.com/en/engine/sup...065857.pdf

This calculator (http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/calcboost.html) seems interesting for those trying to figure out boost levels.  The calculator is intended for turbo gas motors, but changing the air/fuel ratio to something like 16:1 and a V.E of 1.5+ should give turbo diesel relevant numbers.

Using that and the factory performance numbers I get ~320CFM.  Other calculators come up with 450CFM.  The corresponding filters are huge in comparison to the factory filter set. An efficient, but moderately restrictive filter (8"H2O at 348CFM) is 14" x 17" x 7".

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

06-19-2017, 03:16 PM #9
Perhaps a cylindrical style unimog air cleaner housing could but stuffed under the hood or bolted to the outside front fender? That'd keep it purely MBZ and add a large capacity filter.
CRD4x4
06-19-2017, 03:16 PM #9

Perhaps a cylindrical style unimog air cleaner housing could but stuffed under the hood or bolted to the outside front fender? That'd keep it purely MBZ and add a large capacity filter.

atypicalguy
Holset

06-24-2017, 06:14 AM #10
(06-19-2017, 12:11 PM)AlanMcR There are lots of online calculators for engine airflow.  Donaldson publishes a nice document on how to estimate air flow: http://india.donaldson.com/en/engine/sup...065857.pdf

Max stock fuel is about 53cc per 1000 shots.
At 5000 rpm, that os 2500 shots, or 132.5 cc/cyl/min

Times 6 cyl is 795 cc/min

795 cc/min x 0.832 g/cc diesel fuel is 661g fuel/min

661 x 21 afr is 13,890 g air

13890 ÷ .001225g/cc air is 11,338,971 cc air

This is 11,338 L/min

Divide by 28 L/ cu ft is about 400 cu ft/min at 5000 rpm.
atypicalguy
06-24-2017, 06:14 AM #10

(06-19-2017, 12:11 PM)AlanMcR There are lots of online calculators for engine airflow.  Donaldson publishes a nice document on how to estimate air flow: http://india.donaldson.com/en/engine/sup...065857.pdf

Max stock fuel is about 53cc per 1000 shots.
At 5000 rpm, that os 2500 shots, or 132.5 cc/cyl/min

Times 6 cyl is 795 cc/min

795 cc/min x 0.832 g/cc diesel fuel is 661g fuel/min

661 x 21 afr is 13,890 g air

13890 ÷ .001225g/cc air is 11,338,971 cc air

This is 11,338 L/min

Divide by 28 L/ cu ft is about 400 cu ft/min at 5000 rpm.

atypicalguy
Holset

06-24-2017, 06:40 AM #11
(06-14-2017, 01:25 PM)AlanMcR I installed a filterminder latching vacuum gauge at the clean side of the factory air box and found 22in of H2O after only moderate driving with stock settings.  The EGR mixer has been hollowed out which might affect measured boost a little when the flow rate is high.  The testing was made with a brand new Mann filter.  Actually, the result was so bad that I tried two different filters made in two different countries (Turkey/Germany).  Same result. 

This one might be a nice compromise between performance and power. It comes with a clampable 3" inlet. I use one on a cummins 5.9 210hp. Should max out at 8" or so:

https://catalog.donaldson.com/productDet...uId=s10151
atypicalguy
06-24-2017, 06:40 AM #11

(06-14-2017, 01:25 PM)AlanMcR I installed a filterminder latching vacuum gauge at the clean side of the factory air box and found 22in of H2O after only moderate driving with stock settings.  The EGR mixer has been hollowed out which might affect measured boost a little when the flow rate is high.  The testing was made with a brand new Mann filter.  Actually, the result was so bad that I tried two different filters made in two different countries (Turkey/Germany).  Same result. 

This one might be a nice compromise between performance and power. It comes with a clampable 3" inlet. I use one on a cummins 5.9 210hp. Should max out at 8" or so:

https://catalog.donaldson.com/productDet...uId=s10151

atypicalguy
Holset

06-24-2017, 06:44 AM #12

More filter restriction means the turbo compressor has to operate at a higher pressure ratio to provide the same manifold pressure. That can take the turbo compressor out of its map, sort of like driving at high altitude. But just to be clear, it isnt ever going to make the turbo "move more air than it is supposed to".
atypicalguy
06-24-2017, 06:44 AM #12

More filter restriction means the turbo compressor has to operate at a higher pressure ratio to provide the same manifold pressure. That can take the turbo compressor out of its map, sort of like driving at high altitude. But just to be clear, it isnt ever going to make the turbo "move more air than it is supposed to".

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-24-2017, 04:44 PM #13
(06-24-2017, 06:44 AM)atypicalguy More filter restriction means the turbo compressor has to operate at a higher pressure ratio to provide the same manifold pressure. That can take the turbo compressor out of its map, sort of like driving at high altitude. But just to be clear, it isnt ever going to make the turbo "move more air than it is supposed to".

True, I should have said "working harder than otherwise needed". In any case, the air inlet of the K14 is quite small and lowering the air pressure in front of it can't help.
AlanMcR
06-24-2017, 04:44 PM #13

(06-24-2017, 06:44 AM)atypicalguy More filter restriction means the turbo compressor has to operate at a higher pressure ratio to provide the same manifold pressure. That can take the turbo compressor out of its map, sort of like driving at high altitude. But just to be clear, it isnt ever going to make the turbo "move more air than it is supposed to".

True, I should have said "working harder than otherwise needed". In any case, the air inlet of the K14 is quite small and lowering the air pressure in front of it can't help.

atypicalguy
Holset

06-25-2017, 02:16 PM #14
(06-24-2017, 04:44 PM)AlanMcR

True, I should have said "working harder than otherwise needed".  In any case, the air inlet of the K14 is quite small and lowering the air pressure in front of it can't help.

Yes the turbo is working harder to provide the same boost. I am not impressed at all by the k14. Even a 200wg would be better.
atypicalguy
06-25-2017, 02:16 PM #14

(06-24-2017, 04:44 PM)AlanMcR

True, I should have said "working harder than otherwise needed".  In any case, the air inlet of the K14 is quite small and lowering the air pressure in front of it can't help.

Yes the turbo is working harder to provide the same boost. I am not impressed at all by the k14. Even a 200wg would be better.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-25-2017, 07:39 PM #15
(06-25-2017, 02:16 PM)atypicalguy ... I am not impressed at all by the k14. Even a 200wg would be better...

It does seem like there should be several turbos that would be better choices than what the factory installed. I've never seen a consensus pick on what to replace it with. The one-of-a-kind flange doesn't help at all.

Assuming that an adapter is needed, what should the K14 be replaced with for use with stock or mildly tuned output?
AlanMcR
06-25-2017, 07:39 PM #15

(06-25-2017, 02:16 PM)atypicalguy ... I am not impressed at all by the k14. Even a 200wg would be better...

It does seem like there should be several turbos that would be better choices than what the factory installed. I've never seen a consensus pick on what to replace it with. The one-of-a-kind flange doesn't help at all.

Assuming that an adapter is needed, what should the K14 be replaced with for use with stock or mildly tuned output?

atypicalguy
Holset

08-07-2017, 11:48 PM #16
(06-25-2017, 07:39 PM)AlanMcR

It does seem like there should be several turbos that would be better choices than what the factory installed.  I've never seen a consensus pick on what to replace it with.  The one-of-a-kind flange doesn't help at all.  

Tdo5L-16g small was suggested to me here by alcaid for -200hp 606 fwiw, 10cm housing
This post was last modified: 08-07-2017, 11:50 PM by atypicalguy.
atypicalguy
08-07-2017, 11:48 PM #16

(06-25-2017, 07:39 PM)AlanMcR

It does seem like there should be several turbos that would be better choices than what the factory installed.  I've never seen a consensus pick on what to replace it with.  The one-of-a-kind flange doesn't help at all.  

Tdo5L-16g small was suggested to me here by alcaid for -200hp 606 fwiw, 10cm housing

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average