STD Tuning Engine Considering a Twin GT2256V setup on OM606

Considering a Twin GT2256V setup on OM606

Considering a Twin GT2256V setup on OM606

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

JoeB
TA 0301

06-07-2017, 01:00 AM #1
As we get closer to the actual build of the 606 for Project  GelandeRover, and after messing around with some superpumps, HX35's and w116's among other things, some consideration was given to using the w163's GT2256V  on the 606 destined for the RRC, but instead of using one turbo, why not use two?

Seems pretty obvious really, because the stock 606 rear housing is a choker.  I'm sure it could be machined, new turbine etc... But there may be something in the twin setup worth exploring, and I do like the ability to use factory stock parts when looking for performance increases.

To be honest, I really don't need the added complexity of doubling everything up on one side of the engine bay in the Range Rovers engine bay - it's pretty cramped as it is, but nonetheless, this twin setup might have some advantages - the key thought behind using two, was the turbine housing seems more suitable for 1.5 litre displacement and in theory at least should not have as much lag as a big single.

With the design intent of the application being a broad spead of power and torque - as much as possible, and a conservative redline of 5.5-6Krpm (let's face it, it's not going to spend an eternity there while hauling 2.5T+ of 4x4)  it would seem the factory OM612 turbo sizing is quite good.

The aim is not to use huge boost figures, or 170cc of fuel at max rack travel.  The design contraints are fairly conservative -  quick spool, medium boost performance - say 2.5 bar, low EGT's and low stress. 
The engine is going into a 4x4, with 32" (235/85R16) tyres, 3.54 diffs and will have an altered LT230 transfer case with crawler gears down the track. For now though, it's a 1.2 ratio (for those who understand landroverspeak) 

One other area which has been given much consideration was using the mercedes gearbox versus the landrover.  I have a ZF4hp22/BWTC already in the car, and a spare R380/LT230 plus another LT230 which will be built for a divorced application, should I decide to use the 717.404 or a 722.6

the "easy" way out is naturally use an adaptor setup to mount the 606 to a LR box - be it the R380 or ZF auto. That allows the trans and transfer case to remain in situ and helps to keep it simple, but the longevity of the R380 and the ZF box behind a torquey 606 is not likely to be sufficient for my reliability requirements. So it'll probably end up being the 722.6 and a divorced LT230.

For those familiar with gearing changes etc, the 722.6 and the LT actually are not much different from the ZF and BWTC, with the added bonus of being much more reliable and proven behind a 606.

Back to the turbo setup though.  I haven't seen many twin setups, certainly very few on diesels, more common on m104's though.  I wonder if this is simply down to cost / maintenance, or if there are just too many issues to work around.

any ideas / feedback / experiences would be appreciated.  We have time to get this right before the engine goes anywhere near the car, so it's crucial to make this a reliable setup. As I said, we're not chasing huge horsepower, just a stout combination with good response and pickup, low lag, and reasonable fuel consumption.  350bhp would be 'nice'

cheers
This post was last modified: 06-07-2017, 01:03 AM by JoeB.
JoeB
06-07-2017, 01:00 AM #1

As we get closer to the actual build of the 606 for Project  GelandeRover, and after messing around with some superpumps, HX35's and w116's among other things, some consideration was given to using the w163's GT2256V  on the 606 destined for the RRC, but instead of using one turbo, why not use two?

Seems pretty obvious really, because the stock 606 rear housing is a choker.  I'm sure it could be machined, new turbine etc... But there may be something in the twin setup worth exploring, and I do like the ability to use factory stock parts when looking for performance increases.

To be honest, I really don't need the added complexity of doubling everything up on one side of the engine bay in the Range Rovers engine bay - it's pretty cramped as it is, but nonetheless, this twin setup might have some advantages - the key thought behind using two, was the turbine housing seems more suitable for 1.5 litre displacement and in theory at least should not have as much lag as a big single.

With the design intent of the application being a broad spead of power and torque - as much as possible, and a conservative redline of 5.5-6Krpm (let's face it, it's not going to spend an eternity there while hauling 2.5T+ of 4x4)  it would seem the factory OM612 turbo sizing is quite good.

The aim is not to use huge boost figures, or 170cc of fuel at max rack travel.  The design contraints are fairly conservative -  quick spool, medium boost performance - say 2.5 bar, low EGT's and low stress. 
The engine is going into a 4x4, with 32" (235/85R16) tyres, 3.54 diffs and will have an altered LT230 transfer case with crawler gears down the track. For now though, it's a 1.2 ratio (for those who understand landroverspeak) 

One other area which has been given much consideration was using the mercedes gearbox versus the landrover.  I have a ZF4hp22/BWTC already in the car, and a spare R380/LT230 plus another LT230 which will be built for a divorced application, should I decide to use the 717.404 or a 722.6

the "easy" way out is naturally use an adaptor setup to mount the 606 to a LR box - be it the R380 or ZF auto. That allows the trans and transfer case to remain in situ and helps to keep it simple, but the longevity of the R380 and the ZF box behind a torquey 606 is not likely to be sufficient for my reliability requirements. So it'll probably end up being the 722.6 and a divorced LT230.

For those familiar with gearing changes etc, the 722.6 and the LT actually are not much different from the ZF and BWTC, with the added bonus of being much more reliable and proven behind a 606.

Back to the turbo setup though.  I haven't seen many twin setups, certainly very few on diesels, more common on m104's though.  I wonder if this is simply down to cost / maintenance, or if there are just too many issues to work around.

any ideas / feedback / experiences would be appreciated.  We have time to get this right before the engine goes anywhere near the car, so it's crucial to make this a reliable setup. As I said, we're not chasing huge horsepower, just a stout combination with good response and pickup, low lag, and reasonable fuel consumption.  350bhp would be 'nice'

cheers

starynovy
Holset

06-07-2017, 06:32 AM #2
2,5bar with gt22v? Haha..no it will not last a week.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex: 525tds 130kW, C250TD 160kW, E320CDI 200kW, ML400CDI 230kW, A6 R5TDI 130kW
Now: Q7 V8TDI 240kW, 320d 150kW, 335d 210kW
starynovy
06-07-2017, 06:32 AM #2

2,5bar with gt22v? Haha..no it will not last a week.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

06-07-2017, 01:52 PM #3
A couple of vnt 17/22 would be awesome and quick spooling. A couple of GTB2056V would also be awesome and also quick spooling. As soon as I figure out my F150 tranny problem, that's my plan too.
This post was last modified: 06-07-2017, 01:57 PM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
06-07-2017, 01:52 PM #3

A couple of vnt 17/22 would be awesome and quick spooling. A couple of GTB2056V would also be awesome and also quick spooling. As soon as I figure out my F150 tranny problem, that's my plan too.

Tobulus
GT2256V

06-07-2017, 04:25 PM #4
I have a GR2359V on a 605. with closed vanes this turbo pushes 0.5 bar at 2000rpm in Neutral without load!

But its quite some work to control it. But definately doable.
Tobulus
06-07-2017, 04:25 PM #4

I have a GR2359V on a 605. with closed vanes this turbo pushes 0.5 bar at 2000rpm in Neutral without load!

But its quite some work to control it. But definately doable.

Turbo
Holset

06-07-2017, 06:00 PM #5
(06-07-2017, 01:52 PM)50harleyrider A couple of vnt 17/22 would be awesome and quick spooling. A couple of GTB2056V would also be awesome and also quick spooling. As soon as I figure out my F150 tranny problem, that's my plan too.

like starnovy said before comes to the GTB2056v too, they will not last long at pr 3 you start to leave the compressor map at that stage and is quite short range at that pressure ratio, I ones by accident charge 3,4bars with one of the GTB2056vl and it did hold but not the engine, no om606, but since exhaust in to VNT carriage is stupid dum build in my opinion, talk about pressure losses.

I could have 1bar boost at idle but that does not mean flow is good, when the vnt is close to close turbine efficiency is very poor so it need a lot of drive pressure and that really hurt volumetric efficiency, if you add two of these it get even worse, I ones did a long time ago on a om606, though it would really needed a second turbo in series to come to full advantage in that kind of build.... I guess two GTD1752VRK would be a better choice for drive ability but small turbo normally had bad isenentropic efficiency on turbine, and turbine is special on that turbo properly for the worse though efficiency in gtb2056vl compressor i mazing good if used right
This post was last modified: 06-07-2017, 06:02 PM by Turbo.
Turbo
06-07-2017, 06:00 PM #5

(06-07-2017, 01:52 PM)50harleyrider A couple of vnt 17/22 would be awesome and quick spooling. A couple of GTB2056V would also be awesome and also quick spooling. As soon as I figure out my F150 tranny problem, that's my plan too.

like starnovy said before comes to the GTB2056v too, they will not last long at pr 3 you start to leave the compressor map at that stage and is quite short range at that pressure ratio, I ones by accident charge 3,4bars with one of the GTB2056vl and it did hold but not the engine, no om606, but since exhaust in to VNT carriage is stupid dum build in my opinion, talk about pressure losses.

I could have 1bar boost at idle but that does not mean flow is good, when the vnt is close to close turbine efficiency is very poor so it need a lot of drive pressure and that really hurt volumetric efficiency, if you add two of these it get even worse, I ones did a long time ago on a om606, though it would really needed a second turbo in series to come to full advantage in that kind of build.... I guess two GTD1752VRK would be a better choice for drive ability but small turbo normally had bad isenentropic efficiency on turbine, and turbine is special on that turbo properly for the worse though efficiency in gtb2056vl compressor i mazing good if used right

starynovy
Holset

06-08-2017, 07:59 AM #6
Had 2260V on 525tds controled by PID regulator, good low end torque but top end sucked.. they are too smal for prechamber engine.

The thing is, twin VNT engines were a fashion long time ago when there were no better options. Good example is Alpina 530d biturbo which mounted two 1544V for 180kW, since then they never used technology like this simply because there is no need. Todays GTD VNT turbos can outperform these old gen biturbos easily. If you insist on biturbo I would go with two top WG turbos, for example GTD17 used on 3.0BiTDI they will get you just to 400PS with perfect spool.

One last note.. if it is not obvious from my saying I will say again.. dump the idea of mounitg 20 year old GT V turbos, I know they are cheap but they suck dick today. Big Grin Just second gen GTB1756V (OM629) can give you in twin over 300kW and that is considerably smaller turbo than mentioned GT2256V which will lag on 1,5L engine considerably.

starynovy
06-08-2017, 07:59 AM #6

Had 2260V on 525tds controled by PID regulator, good low end torque but top end sucked.. they are too smal for prechamber engine.

The thing is, twin VNT engines were a fashion long time ago when there were no better options. Good example is Alpina 530d biturbo which mounted two 1544V for 180kW, since then they never used technology like this simply because there is no need. Todays GTD VNT turbos can outperform these old gen biturbos easily. If you insist on biturbo I would go with two top WG turbos, for example GTD17 used on 3.0BiTDI they will get you just to 400PS with perfect spool.

One last note.. if it is not obvious from my saying I will say again.. dump the idea of mounitg 20 year old GT V turbos, I know they are cheap but they suck dick today. Big Grin Just second gen GTB1756V (OM629) can give you in twin over 300kW and that is considerably smaller turbo than mentioned GT2256V which will lag on 1,5L engine considerably.

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

06-08-2017, 02:22 PM #7
Ignore all the naysayers! The turbos you mentioned are plentiful and inexpensive and that's exactly why you should use them. Experiment with twin variable turbos and enjoy the experience! That's what I'll be doing down the road. Keep the updates coming!
CRD4x4
06-08-2017, 02:22 PM #7

Ignore all the naysayers! The turbos you mentioned are plentiful and inexpensive and that's exactly why you should use them. Experiment with twin variable turbos and enjoy the experience! That's what I'll be doing down the road. Keep the updates coming!

barrote
Superturbo

06-08-2017, 04:28 PM #8
Fella starynovy is not beeing polite, wich in this forum is not common....apart.....
But not all he said is nonsense, actually IDI engines produce too much exaust in high idle and with too litle inertia in low idle rendering a GTV series turbo less efective than a modern WG .
Too small for high speed and too big for low idle, they were meant for DI engines wich suffer less with low idle back pressure (drive pressure) and in high idle they ingest as much as 60% exaust due to  EGR system.
Another fact is that the model 22 is too big for 1.5 liter it will lag. But a 17 will not lag that much and is seldom availave cause they were sold thousands in the vw/audi TDI engines.
And i'm fond of gtv crap... 
Wich u good luck with the project.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
06-08-2017, 04:28 PM #8

Fella starynovy is not beeing polite, wich in this forum is not common....apart.....
But not all he said is nonsense, actually IDI engines produce too much exaust in high idle and with too litle inertia in low idle rendering a GTV series turbo less efective than a modern WG .
Too small for high speed and too big for low idle, they were meant for DI engines wich suffer less with low idle back pressure (drive pressure) and in high idle they ingest as much as 60% exaust due to  EGR system.
Another fact is that the model 22 is too big for 1.5 liter it will lag. But a 17 will not lag that much and is seldom availave cause they were sold thousands in the vw/audi TDI engines.
And i'm fond of gtv crap... 
Wich u good luck with the project.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Turbo
Holset

06-09-2017, 03:32 PM #9
Sorry Barrote, but can you please explain more I can not understand why a IDI not can have a VNT turbo as I understand it from you
what do you mean with do much exhaust on high idle? There are
two VNT22 to big? it is not determine how you want the turbo to work? ok a IDI have bigger range since normally it rev higher then a DI so it need wider compressor map, that what you mean?

if someone wants some cheep GTB2056vl I have some lying around and collect dust, I think even one is just 750km
Turbo
06-09-2017, 03:32 PM #9

Sorry Barrote, but can you please explain more I can not understand why a IDI not can have a VNT turbo as I understand it from you
what do you mean with do much exhaust on high idle? There are
two VNT22 to big? it is not determine how you want the turbo to work? ok a IDI have bigger range since normally it rev higher then a DI so it need wider compressor map, that what you mean?

if someone wants some cheep GTB2056vl I have some lying around and collect dust, I think even one is just 750km

barrote
Superturbo

06-10-2017, 04:41 AM #10
IDI can be fitted with any turbo....
I stated VNT/VGT tech start to show up with CR engines, if i'm not mistaken MB was launch OEM for the GTV series, it might well not be complete true, but remember MB is also about trucks.
The needs/abilities of the very high direct injection engine are a lot diff from our IDI engines. One thing is the drive pressure for turbo, it does not afect as much as in a IDI, the other is the combustion speed, this process hapens very fast and the engine seems to rev faster and deliver much more tq in low to mid range.
This turbos were meant to control exaust ingestion in a diff way, cause after year 2000 euro4 rules stay that nox got to be reduced then averybody decide by full EGR systems even the trucks.
I have been using a gtv23 since i turboed my 605.910 and some 50k ago , something i did not expect happen never the rods bent or pistons melted, neither the turbo quit with a lot of pushing 2.5 bar and lately was updated with a 64mm compressor and is still roling.
When i stated vgt is too big or too small i had 2 things in mind that i learned with my experiences over the years:
1 is that the vnt crap need gas to wake, the size of the turbine determines were in the rpm range it will wake like any other. Setting the vanes give us room to play a litle with the load in the turbine/boost level / wake rpm, no matter how u control it .
2 once the turbine is producing power we can alter the a/r by opening the vanes in function of many needs like egp/boost control/ engine brake ... whatever but the housing and turbine is smaller than a camparable wg turbo so chokes pretty pretty fast. In OEM aplication the egp can be reduced by opening the EGR. In our aplications since we dont like egr systems we have to balance a way of bleeding that gas cause they will not cross the turbine . I usually use the Egr valve with some mod to balance that. Others may have theyr one system but as far as a have seen is still the cheapest and easyer solution.

And u know better than i that the 2.7 OM612 uses a gtv22 and comparing by this don't u think it will take some time to wake in 1.5 liter 3 cylinder half 606?
That was the discussion i belive. But other arrangements can be done to use 2 gtv 22 with success in the 606. Nevertheless can't be in 3 plus 3 arrangement.
Regards

FD,