STD Tuning Engine OM602 IP/turbo upgrade

OM602 IP/turbo upgrade

OM602 IP/turbo upgrade

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bummer-Bob
K26-2

05-23-2017, 11:43 AM #1
Couple things:

Currently working on a '92 300D 2.5, with an OM602. Been looking at replacing DV seals and springs, and maybe the lift pump, but I figured I might as well price a replacement pump with upgraded nozzles for comparison - turns out it's not too much, but it of course leads to more questions.

I'm looking at upgrading my stock 5,5mm elements to 6,0mm. It's not a huge difference, only about 10%, but I'll be happy if it translates to a 10% performance increase. I'm basically looking for the reliability of a fresh pump and any upgrade will be a bonus. But will this work with a stock engine? I don't want to get into installing an intercooler, monitoring EGTs, or replacing the clutch or transmission.

My second question is about the turbo - should I upgrade, or do I have to? I'm looking at rebuilding my T25, and have the option of converting to T28 components. I don't really know what the difference is. I gather my max boost won't change, since I'll be converting to a pressure-activated wastegate, and anything over 15PSI or so will be wasted. But will it spool up faster or otherwise perform better than the T25 at equal boost pressures?

Thanks for any opinions/advice.
This post was last modified: 05-23-2017, 11:46 AM by Bummer-Bob.
Bummer-Bob
05-23-2017, 11:43 AM #1

Couple things:

Currently working on a '92 300D 2.5, with an OM602. Been looking at replacing DV seals and springs, and maybe the lift pump, but I figured I might as well price a replacement pump with upgraded nozzles for comparison - turns out it's not too much, but it of course leads to more questions.

I'm looking at upgrading my stock 5,5mm elements to 6,0mm. It's not a huge difference, only about 10%, but I'll be happy if it translates to a 10% performance increase. I'm basically looking for the reliability of a fresh pump and any upgrade will be a bonus. But will this work with a stock engine? I don't want to get into installing an intercooler, monitoring EGTs, or replacing the clutch or transmission.

My second question is about the turbo - should I upgrade, or do I have to? I'm looking at rebuilding my T25, and have the option of converting to T28 components. I don't really know what the difference is. I gather my max boost won't change, since I'll be converting to a pressure-activated wastegate, and anything over 15PSI or so will be wasted. But will it spool up faster or otherwise perform better than the T25 at equal boost pressures?

Thanks for any opinions/advice.

Bigpanda16
K26-2

05-23-2017, 03:33 PM #2
6mm elements would help, but aren't neccessary unless you've turned up your pump.
They will shorten the duration of the fueling event by being bigger and that will help with fuel injected late causing high and quick rising Egt's.
You should contact dieselmeken in Sweden and price compare having a 6mm pump setup here in the states vs a 7.5mm one by him.
Switching to a boost actuator for your turbo would be a no brainer, ditch the egr at the same time and you will be greatly simplifying your vacuum system
If you want to upgrade the compressor wheel and housing to a bigger a/r (t28 or more...) it wouldn't be a bad thing but isn't neccessary until you have a hot pump.
You should still spool the same if your hot side doesn't change.
If you're planning on doing and modifications to the amount of fuel, an egt gauge is a smart choice, especially if you're taking the turbo off at any point.
My 190Dt has merely 1.2 turns out on the full load screw and the Egt's skyrocket to 550*C and more and I have 2.5" mandrel bent free-flowing exhaust.
I've replaced my delivery valve seals and crush washers and also every o-ring inside the lift pump with viton for good measure although I had no indication they were bad.

Basically unless you have money to burn, or want to get into having increased fuel quantities it would cheaper to leave the factory pump installed.
Same for the turbo, unless either one is showing signs of being faulty or worn beyond repair, why change it...
That's just my few cents on the matter of course

78 300D, 87 190D, 94 E320, 95 E300D
Bigpanda16
05-23-2017, 03:33 PM #2

6mm elements would help, but aren't neccessary unless you've turned up your pump.
They will shorten the duration of the fueling event by being bigger and that will help with fuel injected late causing high and quick rising Egt's.
You should contact dieselmeken in Sweden and price compare having a 6mm pump setup here in the states vs a 7.5mm one by him.
Switching to a boost actuator for your turbo would be a no brainer, ditch the egr at the same time and you will be greatly simplifying your vacuum system
If you want to upgrade the compressor wheel and housing to a bigger a/r (t28 or more...) it wouldn't be a bad thing but isn't neccessary until you have a hot pump.
If you're planning on doing and modifications to the amount of fuel, an egt gauge is a smart choice, especially if you're taking the turbo off at any point.
My 190Dt has merely 1.2 turns out on the full load screw and the Egt's skyrocket to 550*C and more and I have 2.5" mandrel bent free-flowing exhaust.
I've replaced my delivery valve seals and crush washers and also every o-ring inside the lift pump with viton for good measure although I had no indication they were bad.

Basically unless you have money to burn, or want to get into having increased fuel quantities it would cheaper to leave the factory pump installed.
Same for the turbo, unless either one is showing signs of being faulty or worn beyond repair, why change it...

78 300D, 87 190D, 94 E320, 95 E300D

Bummer-Bob
K26-2

05-23-2017, 03:51 PM #3
(05-23-2017, 03:33 PM)Bigpanda16 6mm elements would help, but aren't neccessary unless you've turned up your pump.

Thanks for the info.

The 6mm elements would be in a pump set up by Dieselmeken (i.e., not just dropping in larger elements).

I am having some nailing not solved by injector nozzle replacement, so I'm looking at DV o-ring, crush washer, & spring replacement. I am concerned about the possibility of worn or pitted DV's, which of course would increase project cost. I also suspect lower-than-ideal fuel pressure, so I'm looking at replacing the bypass valve spring and possibly the lift pump - and I just sort of got to the point of, why not change the whole pump with a (slightly) upgraded one?

At the same time I am pulling the turbo for the wastegate conversion and EGR delete, and to have it rebuilt due to an oil leak (and just for good measure), so I figure if I'm going to upgrade the IP I might as well upgrade the turbo.

I guess an EGT gauge would be cake compared to everything else I have planned, but at the same time I don't want to bother if it's not needed.
Bummer-Bob
05-23-2017, 03:51 PM #3

(05-23-2017, 03:33 PM)Bigpanda16 6mm elements would help, but aren't neccessary unless you've turned up your pump.

Thanks for the info.

The 6mm elements would be in a pump set up by Dieselmeken (i.e., not just dropping in larger elements).

I am having some nailing not solved by injector nozzle replacement, so I'm looking at DV o-ring, crush washer, & spring replacement. I am concerned about the possibility of worn or pitted DV's, which of course would increase project cost. I also suspect lower-than-ideal fuel pressure, so I'm looking at replacing the bypass valve spring and possibly the lift pump - and I just sort of got to the point of, why not change the whole pump with a (slightly) upgraded one?

At the same time I am pulling the turbo for the wastegate conversion and EGR delete, and to have it rebuilt due to an oil leak (and just for good measure), so I figure if I'm going to upgrade the IP I might as well upgrade the turbo.

I guess an EGT gauge would be cake compared to everything else I have planned, but at the same time I don't want to bother if it's not needed.

barrote
Superturbo

05-25-2017, 02:18 AM #4
Hy,
Sorry to highjack mr big panda but not all the info u stated is completly correct.
A 602 will as any engine benefit from a upgraded element swap. Expecially if they are bosch 6 mm. (554's) cause this element will enable the pump to pump out at least 70/80cc without major changes in the governor.
And with stock governor will enable 50/60cc when boost rises. This amounts will not claim any engine. 550c° egt is normal and most often that is due to lack of boost.
Any turbo is better than T series. To leave it close to stock recomend gt25 (stock 605)at 1.5 max boost. 
With this small mod it can give 150PS.
The rest i agree and is factual info. Usually spending money in a 6 mil why not buy a 7.5 at 30% more!!!!
Regards and good builds.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
05-25-2017, 02:18 AM #4

Hy,
Sorry to highjack mr big panda but not all the info u stated is completly correct.
A 602 will as any engine benefit from a upgraded element swap. Expecially if they are bosch 6 mm. (554's) cause this element will enable the pump to pump out at least 70/80cc without major changes in the governor.
And with stock governor will enable 50/60cc when boost rises. This amounts will not claim any engine. 550c° egt is normal and most often that is due to lack of boost.
Any turbo is better than T series. To leave it close to stock recomend gt25 (stock 605)at 1.5 max boost. 
With this small mod it can give 150PS.
The rest i agree and is factual info. Usually spending money in a 6 mil why not buy a 7.5 at 30% more!!!!
Regards and good builds.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Bummer-Bob
K26-2

05-25-2017, 12:04 PM #5
(05-25-2017, 02:18 AM)barrote The rest i agree and is factual info. Usually spending money in a 6 mil why not buy a 7.5 at 30% more!!!!
Regards and good builds.

I thought the 7,5mm elements were more for race builds? This would be for a daily driver, just like for a little more oomph without stressing the engine or drivetrain. If I did the pump with 7,5mm elements, wouldn't I need to add an intercooler and upgrade the transmission?
Bummer-Bob
05-25-2017, 12:04 PM #5

(05-25-2017, 02:18 AM)barrote The rest i agree and is factual info. Usually spending money in a 6 mil why not buy a 7.5 at 30% more!!!!
Regards and good builds.

I thought the 7,5mm elements were more for race builds? This would be for a daily driver, just like for a little more oomph without stressing the engine or drivetrain. If I did the pump with 7,5mm elements, wouldn't I need to add an intercooler and upgrade the transmission?

barrote
Superturbo

05-25-2017, 12:16 PM #6
Ho boy , u got a lot of Reading in front of u...
not necessarly , the trans and clutch and cooler....
the thing is, if u want the elemento swap to be done by professionals , so that the pump work as it should in the end, it will cost Money , is not something u can do with your boys in an afternoon.
considering that plus the elemento cost, sometimes is better to go for the big cake, cause big cakes can be sliced in normal chunks.
if u were somewhere in europe i would do that for u at a resonably cheap price, but in the states is expensive to ship but if u want pm.
but keep in mind that even a race car can be driven by the wife, if not is not a real race car ....
regards

FD,