STD Tuning Engine Holset crap with ball bearings

Holset crap with ball bearings

Holset crap with ball bearings

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

barrote
Superturbo

04-27-2017, 10:38 PM #1
Hello fine people,
Come to the conclusion that this holset crap HX35W is a very fine turbo in my project, but it takes a lot to come alive(3/4 sec) i wonder if it can be fitted with a ball bearing system?
questions have anyone went that road?
where can i find the ball bearing kit needed?

The idea is to have it with a billet wheel lightened up shaft and turbine , and the ball bearing Wink

regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-27-2017, 10:38 PM #1

Hello fine people,
Come to the conclusion that this holset crap HX35W is a very fine turbo in my project, but it takes a lot to come alive(3/4 sec) i wonder if it can be fitted with a ball bearing system?
questions have anyone went that road?
where can i find the ball bearing kit needed?

The idea is to have it with a billet wheel lightened up shaft and turbine , and the ball bearing Wink

regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Turbo
Holset

04-28-2017, 06:26 AM #2
garret has some ball berings turbo as you know if holset has I am not sure of but this firm clam they do upgrades
http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/services/turbo-upgrades/
Turbo
04-28-2017, 06:26 AM #2

garret has some ball berings turbo as you know if holset has I am not sure of but this firm clam they do upgrades

hooblah
Holset

04-28-2017, 06:49 AM #3
Might be worth swapping in a he351.
hooblah
04-28-2017, 06:49 AM #3

Might be worth swapping in a he351.

barrote
Superturbo

04-28-2017, 07:10 AM #4
What is a he351? That crap is not common where i live....except in trucks i mean heavy and slow engines.
I wonder if i could upgrade that with a ball bearing journal , that thing would be super fast to spool...
I think...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-28-2017, 07:10 AM #4

What is a he351? That crap is not common where i live....except in trucks i mean heavy and slow engines.
I wonder if i could upgrade that with a ball bearing journal , that thing would be super fast to spool...
I think...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

hooblah
Holset

04-28-2017, 11:21 AM #5
He351 is the next gen, equivalent to a hx35 but with improved performance.
hooblah
04-28-2017, 11:21 AM #5

He351 is the next gen, equivalent to a hx35 but with improved performance.

Turbo
Holset

04-28-2017, 12:02 PM #6
I call them today
and I will say it is a no go
Turbo
04-28-2017, 12:02 PM #6

I call them today
and I will say it is a no go

barrote
Superturbo

04-28-2017, 12:22 PM #7
No go why , they don't sell the bearings? Whats the problem off installing such a bearing ?? At least for me the problem is to lay my hands on the cartdrige rollers...
After some cutting, it should be possible. Unless the bearing does not hold ...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-28-2017, 12:22 PM #7

No go why , they don't sell the bearings? Whats the problem off installing such a bearing ?? At least for me the problem is to lay my hands on the cartdrige rollers...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

awsrock
300SDL / HX30 / 90cc

04-28-2017, 12:40 PM #8
Not ball bearing, but if you end up scrapping the HX35, the BW s200s are cheap and have good turbines, and choice of compressor sizes, 46-56 mm
awsrock
04-28-2017, 12:40 PM #8

Not ball bearing, but if you end up scrapping the HX35, the BW s200s are cheap and have good turbines, and choice of compressor sizes, 46-56 mm

Turbo
Holset

04-28-2017, 01:24 PM #9
(04-28-2017, 12:22 PM)barrote No go why , they don't sell the bearings? Whats the problem off installing such a bearing ?? At least for me the problem is to lay my hands on the cartdrige rollers...

they said most problem was the middle section was not mad for it and they made most for old turbos before GT, there are many different size in ball bearing cartridges, I saw garret show them some years ago, most irritating regarding big frame VNT with ball bearing turbos is that they do exist but tracking them down is hard but gets more and more common...
Turbo
04-28-2017, 01:24 PM #9

(04-28-2017, 12:22 PM)barrote No go why , they don't sell the bearings? Whats the problem off installing such a bearing ?? At least for me the problem is to lay my hands on the cartdrige rollers...

they said most problem was the middle section was not mad for it and they made most for old turbos before GT, there are many different size in ball bearing cartridges, I saw garret show them some years ago, most irritating regarding big frame VNT with ball bearing turbos is that they do exist but tracking them down is hard but gets more and more common...

barrote
Superturbo

04-29-2017, 02:57 AM #10
Yep, garret only sell VNT to OEM.
Volvo trucks and scania use those but those turbo's can't work in our engines... too big they need a massive amount of exaust to wake.
Nevertheless, fitting a ball bearing cartdrige in a gt23V series can be done. The core has enough space to cut a 20mm bushing at least...
The holsets have even more space available...
My problem now is buying the cartdrige... if it holds is another matter!!!
Do u happen to know where i can buy this things? Even if they are chinese or india made....

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-29-2017, 02:57 AM #10

Yep, garret only sell VNT to OEM.
Volvo trucks and scania use those but those turbo's can't work in our engines... too big they need a massive amount of exaust to wake.
Nevertheless, fitting a ball bearing cartdrige in a gt23V series can be done. The core has enough space to cut a 20mm bushing at least...
Do u happen to know where i can buy this things? Even if they are chinese or india made....

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

04-29-2017, 11:30 AM #11
(04-29-2017, 02:57 AM)barrote Yep, garret only sell VNT to OEM.

If you're willing to jump through hoops you can buy literally anything on alibaba

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
04-29-2017, 11:30 AM #11

(04-29-2017, 02:57 AM)barrote Yep, garret only sell VNT to OEM.

If you're willing to jump through hoops you can buy literally anything on alibaba

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

barrote
Superturbo

04-29-2017, 12:08 PM #12
italian or german made would be better but... in the absence ...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-29-2017, 12:08 PM #12

italian or german made would be better but... in the absence ...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

04-29-2017, 12:16 PM #13
Buy generic 150k rpm bearings and machine the CHRA either end, then figure out how the seal fits and machine the CHRA to fit that.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
04-29-2017, 12:16 PM #13

Buy generic 150k rpm bearings and machine the CHRA either end, then figure out how the seal fits and machine the CHRA to fit that.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

baldur
Fast

04-29-2017, 01:07 PM #14
In my opinion ball bearings are best left to racing turbos because I don't see one lasting several hundred thousand km like a journal bearing turbo will do if kept in safe operating conditions.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
04-29-2017, 01:07 PM #14

In my opinion ball bearings are best left to racing turbos because I don't see one lasting several hundred thousand km like a journal bearing turbo will do if kept in safe operating conditions.

Baldur Gislason

Turbo
Holset

04-29-2017, 04:37 PM #15
well in -"MAN D26 Two Stage development, heavy duty
commercial engines optimized with respect on
low fuel consumption and emissions"

it say -"The most obvious difference is the lifetime target of 1.500.000 km for the
whole system. In Euro VI the emission stability for 700.000 km became
part of the legal requirements."

garrett have ball bearing in some truck turbocharger, and start to show it in 2014 just look at there home page, ball bearing cartridge from small to reasonably gig turbos like GT50, and the state ofthe art turbo that is in production now, we speak 64% respective 63% stage efficiency of low and high stage, that is at least for me very impressive

Even some stage turbo charging on car come in ball bearing version now
Turbo
04-29-2017, 04:37 PM #15

well in -"MAN D26 Two Stage development, heavy duty
commercial engines optimized with respect on
low fuel consumption and emissions"

it say -"The most obvious difference is the lifetime target of 1.500.000 km for the
whole system. In Euro VI the emission stability for 700.000 km became
part of the legal requirements."

garrett have ball bearing in some truck turbocharger, and start to show it in 2014 just look at there home page, ball bearing cartridge from small to reasonably gig turbos like GT50, and the state ofthe art turbo that is in production now, we speak 64% respective 63% stage efficiency of low and high stage, that is at least for me very impressive

Even some stage turbo charging on car come in ball bearing version now

R-3350
Dreaming of compounds

04-30-2017, 03:11 PM #16
i just did some looking and it seems the only real issue with swapping a ball bearing into the chra of a holset is the holsets tend to run much bigger shaft sizes than garretts or other oem bb turbos. the HX35 main shaft is around 11mm while a gt35 is closer to 8mm. finding a bearing that will take the rpm of a turbo is difficult your best bet may be to machine the chra and shaft to fit a replacement bearing from a garrett unit rebuild kit.
R-3350
04-30-2017, 03:11 PM #16

i just did some looking and it seems the only real issue with swapping a ball bearing into the chra of a holset is the holsets tend to run much bigger shaft sizes than garretts or other oem bb turbos. the HX35 main shaft is around 11mm while a gt35 is closer to 8mm. finding a bearing that will take the rpm of a turbo is difficult your best bet may be to machine the chra and shaft to fit a replacement bearing from a garrett unit rebuild kit.

barrote
Superturbo

05-01-2017, 12:39 AM #17
Yep i see your point . Machining a turbine shaft is never a easy task but it can be done.
Using a 8mm rapair kit from garret is very good option... but question remains where to buy it....

FD,