STD Tuning Engine Resonance valve on mechanical OM606?

Resonance valve on mechanical OM606?

Resonance valve on mechanical OM606?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mike89011
Naturally-aspirated

04-21-2017, 06:32 PM #1
So here is a question I don't think has ever been addressed before!

For my OM606 with mechanical superpump, I'm using the OM606NA intake manifold in order to more easily use the NA mechanical throttle linkage, with ability to then also easily graft the turbo to the OM606NA cross-over intake pipe.

I have noted however that the NA intake manifold plenum has a resonance valve, which on the stock OM606NA is controlled by an electric valve, itself controlled by the ECU, that regulates the amount of vacuum sent to the resonance flap actuator, to change the "effective" length of the intake runners for better performance.

Has anyone ever tried to make this resonance valve functional on a purely mechanical OM606?

It doesn't have to be anything crazy complex, but just devising a way, perhaps with turbo boost, to actuate the flap in rough correlation with RPM?
mike89011
04-21-2017, 06:32 PM #1

So here is a question I don't think has ever been addressed before!

For my OM606 with mechanical superpump, I'm using the OM606NA intake manifold in order to more easily use the NA mechanical throttle linkage, with ability to then also easily graft the turbo to the OM606NA cross-over intake pipe.

I have noted however that the NA intake manifold plenum has a resonance valve, which on the stock OM606NA is controlled by an electric valve, itself controlled by the ECU, that regulates the amount of vacuum sent to the resonance flap actuator, to change the "effective" length of the intake runners for better performance.

Has anyone ever tried to make this resonance valve functional on a purely mechanical OM606?

It doesn't have to be anything crazy complex, but just devising a way, perhaps with turbo boost, to actuate the flap in rough correlation with RPM?

BoostedW124
TA 0301

04-22-2017, 10:00 PM #2
I would just remove it as i did in my 606na. Car felt more responsive and "cleaner" unless it was my imagination. Less turbulence? Really alot going on for nothing IMO. What are you looking to gain from this? I mean i understand it changing the effective length in theory sounds good but my experience is that'it's benefits are negligible maybe even the entire idea is frivolous. The na intake is really great for certain setups i used one for a simple non intercooled setup with a "clocked" turbo on mine.

1998 w210 e300 TD: egr delete, muffler delete, amg 18s, I love this car!
1995 w124 e300 diesel: bolted on junkyard w210 turbo.. yes you can "easily" boost your om606na! RIP
1991 w201: putting the om606 na to turbo into this. Not enough hours in the day!
BoostedW124
04-22-2017, 10:00 PM #2

I would just remove it as i did in my 606na. Car felt more responsive and "cleaner" unless it was my imagination. Less turbulence? Really alot going on for nothing IMO. What are you looking to gain from this? I mean i understand it changing the effective length in theory sounds good but my experience is that'it's benefits are negligible maybe even the entire idea is frivolous. The na intake is really great for certain setups i used one for a simple non intercooled setup with a "clocked" turbo on mine.

1998 w210 e300 TD: egr delete, muffler delete, amg 18s, I love this car!
1995 w124 e300 diesel: bolted on junkyard w210 turbo.. yes you can "easily" boost your om606na! RIP
1991 w201: putting the om606 na to turbo into this. Not enough hours in the day!

Sultzi
GT2256V

04-23-2017, 03:50 AM #3
Or great for water to air intercooling, like I have in mine 606 setup Wink
Sultzi
04-23-2017, 03:50 AM #3

Or great for water to air intercooling, like I have in mine 606 setup Wink

barrote
Superturbo

04-23-2017, 04:05 AM #4
Hy ,
I dont know if its my imagination, or memory tricking imagination , i belive i read about it somewhere, that  the flap got nothing to do with runner lenght to promote cylinder filling , but with noise due to ressonance in the intake.
If i remembre correctly the ressonance noise in certain part thr conditions was not acceptable by MB, being the 606 W124 the state of confort at the time, the 606N/A roars very high compared with the TD version wich is not available in the W124.
I had one W124 with 605N/A and it did roar a lot in part THR conditions, when it was almost new. it also have a flap , but in this case was to aid the EGR ingestion, cold start and so on.
After it become a STD and now it roars 10 times as much and wisles and nails and all that things u can imagine in a tractor engine....
Its only my opinion , but if u intend to turbo the engine, the runner lenght or size or aspect does not matter much as the intake pressure rises above atmospheric pressure. ok but u can set the engine with unloaded idle, (WG open until Xrpm) in this case it does really matter, cause if the runner is not long enough the engine will loose stamina in low thr and idle.
Once i installed a superpump in  one 606 TD for a person in a w460, and the engine had modded intake plenum, well it just worked out too bad, very small power at idle and low rev´s , to aid on that the fella had the engine loaded in idle(GT22VNT turbo with a press actutor) terrible power, terrible. But he is happy with the result what to do then. taking this as exemple compared with other 606 superpump conversions i did...
This post was last modified: 04-23-2017, 04:16 AM by barrote.

FD,