STD Tuning Engine om617 turbo low on power

om617 turbo low on power

om617 turbo low on power

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cstolaircraft
K26-2

04-11-2017, 03:02 AM #1
I have swapped a om617 into a Toyota pickup I rebuilt the top end on a low mileage block and took a pump and turbo off a running and driving 300+K block. now in the Toyota I have no power ( think pulling small hills in 3rd running 4K+ rpms, the v6 with 0 compression on one cylinder pulled the same hill in 4th). I timed the engine by placing the crank at 24btdc lining the marks on the IP up properly then sliding the pump in to match the marks on the block. I have a small amount smoke off idea which goes away with any turbo spool. I have tried 2 alda and even removed the alda with no changes. I now have a timing tool and plan to check timing. Any other ideas? engine idles great
Cstolaircraft
04-11-2017, 03:02 AM #1

I have swapped a om617 into a Toyota pickup I rebuilt the top end on a low mileage block and took a pump and turbo off a running and driving 300+K block. now in the Toyota I have no power ( think pulling small hills in 3rd running 4K+ rpms, the v6 with 0 compression on one cylinder pulled the same hill in 4th). I timed the engine by placing the crank at 24btdc lining the marks on the IP up properly then sliding the pump in to match the marks on the block. I have a small amount smoke off idea which goes away with any turbo spool. I have tried 2 alda and even removed the alda with no changes. I now have a timing tool and plan to check timing. Any other ideas? engine idles great

barrote
Superturbo

04-11-2017, 05:48 AM #2
Well, if the engine is in good shape, compression, valves and so on... the 617 need valve lash adjustment and valve time adjustment. That may impact in some 20% power.
The pump out of time in a stock engine does not afect much, expecially in the 617. I belive u have a cronicle throtle linkage problem. The thr must touch the limiters in those pumps otherwise can't give wot.
The other issue is pump priming, usually the lift pump must provide 500mb to the main gallery otherwise elements dont fill correctly leaving the engine powerless.
If pump is M type check return banjo bolt , filters and
Lift pump valves (the liftpump operates by action of the spring not the rod) and thr linkage.
If pump is MW the banjo bolt in the return is 800mb the rest is same. The ALDA device u remove it to avoid misshaps when power problem is fixed u can install it.
Otherwise pm me for a M with 7.5mil elements.
Regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-11-2017, 05:48 AM #2

Well, if the engine is in good shape, compression, valves and so on... the 617 need valve lash adjustment and valve time adjustment. That may impact in some 20% power.
The pump out of time in a stock engine does not afect much, expecially in the 617. I belive u have a cronicle throtle linkage problem. The thr must touch the limiters in those pumps otherwise can't give wot.
The other issue is pump priming, usually the lift pump must provide 500mb to the main gallery otherwise elements dont fill correctly leaving the engine powerless.
Lift pump valves (the liftpump operates by action of the spring not the rod) and thr linkage.
If pump is MW the banjo bolt in the return is 800mb the rest is same. The ALDA device u remove it to avoid misshaps when power problem is fixed u can install it.
Regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Cstolaircraft
K26-2

04-11-2017, 08:43 AM #3
(04-11-2017, 05:48 AM)barrote Well, if the engine is in good shape, compression, valves and so on... the 617 need valve lash adjustment and valve time adjustment. That may impact in some 20% power.
Regards
I aadjusted the valves and put a new chain on and all the marks line up perfect on the cam. I Will check the linkages to make sure they are hitting the stops. I know the lift pump hand primer is leaking I have an extra ip and lift pump may be I should pill the lift pump off it and try it.
Cstolaircraft
04-11-2017, 08:43 AM #3

(04-11-2017, 05:48 AM)barrote Well, if the engine is in good shape, compression, valves and so on... the 617 need valve lash adjustment and valve time adjustment. That may impact in some 20% power.
Regards
I aadjusted the valves and put a new chain on and all the marks line up perfect on the cam. I Will check the linkages to make sure they are hitting the stops. I know the lift pump hand primer is leaking I have an extra ip and lift pump may be I should pill the lift pump off it and try it.

Cstolaircraft
K26-2

04-11-2017, 08:44 AM #4
I don't think I mentioned this but I do see air in the injector return lines
Cstolaircraft
04-11-2017, 08:44 AM #4

I don't think I mentioned this but I do see air in the injector return lines

barrote
Superturbo

04-12-2017, 02:46 PM #5
Hum that is odd, those injectors shouldn't have much of return . Usually they do not leak in the return.
That should not be power related.
Btw the valve time is checked by valve lift and degrees. Not the marks aligned....

FD,