STD Other Projects Om617 need help

Om617 need help

Om617 need help

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

OiOiHooligan
Unregistered

03-24-2017, 12:56 PM #1
Picked up a 1981 300td with an om617 and a 4 speed manual. I'm ripping it out and putting it in a project car of mine. Question is, what don't I need? I've taken off power steering pump, SLS pump, air conditioner, etc. I've heard of people just capping off the vacuum pump. Not too sure if that's ok or not. I do not know much about these. Any help will be appreciated. I want to take off as much as I can, and still run it. Going into 1930 model a. Thanks
OiOiHooligan
03-24-2017, 12:56 PM #1

Picked up a 1981 300td with an om617 and a 4 speed manual. I'm ripping it out and putting it in a project car of mine. Question is, what don't I need? I've taken off power steering pump, SLS pump, air conditioner, etc. I've heard of people just capping off the vacuum pump. Not too sure if that's ok or not. I do not know much about these. Any help will be appreciated. I want to take off as much as I can, and still run it. Going into 1930 model a. Thanks

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

03-24-2017, 07:58 PM #2
Does the Model A have manual brakes? If so, just gut or cap the vacuum pump. You can slap the housing on a mill and cut it down a bit (watch out for the depth-the injection pump sticks into it a bit.

If there's no heater you can cut down & smooth out the water pump housing (Or trade me for mine)

FYI-The fuel filter base fits where the power steering used to be.

You only need the following:
Oil cooler has to stay
Power to the starter
Fuel to the injection pump
Alternator(if you want it)

You can use the on-engine shutoff handle, or cap the vacuum pod and setup a pull cable on the linkage.

If you want to clean up the engine more:
-Remote fuel filter
-Remote oil filter & cooler

I'll dig up the photos of mine

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
03-24-2017, 07:58 PM #2

Does the Model A have manual brakes? If so, just gut or cap the vacuum pump. You can slap the housing on a mill and cut it down a bit (watch out for the depth-the injection pump sticks into it a bit.

If there's no heater you can cut down & smooth out the water pump housing (Or trade me for mine)

FYI-The fuel filter base fits where the power steering used to be.

You only need the following:
Oil cooler has to stay
Power to the starter
Fuel to the injection pump
Alternator(if you want it)

You can use the on-engine shutoff handle, or cap the vacuum pod and setup a pull cable on the linkage.

If you want to clean up the engine more:
-Remote fuel filter
-Remote oil filter & cooler

I'll dig up the photos of mine

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average