STD Tuning Engine Glow plug miracle!

Glow plug miracle!

Glow plug miracle!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

BoostedW124
TA 0301

03-21-2017, 09:58 PM #1
Just got the courage to tackle all 6 dead glow plugs in my w210 om606. 5 came out nicee last 1 stuck and broke. I watched DPUKs epic removal technique and few other similar instructions. Most difficult part was trying to drill the threads completely workout destroying them too much. Drilled and tapped 5/16 rod into plug, tried puller mmethod with threaded rod but that was too weak and snapped, then fabricated a hammer similar to DPUKs video except not enough space, his was much larger designed for use outside the vehicle. At this point I had no other ideas and not rready to remove head,  so I put the car together with the 5 new plugs and figured good enough 
for now. Got coffee and boosted up highway ramp. I guess I was close to removal because as soon as I hit boost I heard a POP and immediately knew what happened. The boost pressure was enough force to push the plug out. I limped the car home,  took off intake manifold and inspected I damaged threads slightly from drilling but apparently enough to keep the GP secure. Reamed, anti seized and snugged it up. Perfect! How could could I could I be so fortunate. Man, what a daunting and delicate task however boy do I feel accomplished. Has anyone else had any glow plug passes or fails? Feels like a right of passage doing this job... by the skin of my teeth!
BoostedW124
03-21-2017, 09:58 PM #1

Just got the courage to tackle all 6 dead glow plugs in my w210 om606. 5 came out nicee last 1 stuck and broke. I watched DPUKs epic removal technique and few other similar instructions. Most difficult part was trying to drill the threads completely workout destroying them too much. Drilled and tapped 5/16 rod into plug, tried puller mmethod with threaded rod but that was too weak and snapped, then fabricated a hammer similar to DPUKs video except not enough space, his was much larger designed for use outside the vehicle. At this point I had no other ideas and not rready to remove head,  so I put the car together with the 5 new plugs and figured good enough 
for now. Got coffee and boosted up highway ramp. I guess I was close to removal because as soon as I hit boost I heard a POP and immediately knew what happened. The boost pressure was enough force to push the plug out. I limped the car home,  took off intake manifold and inspected I damaged threads slightly from drilling but apparently enough to keep the GP secure. Reamed, anti seized and snugged it up. Perfect! How could could I could I be so fortunate. Man, what a daunting and delicate task however boy do I feel accomplished. Has anyone else had any glow plug passes or fails? Feels like a right of passage doing this job... by the skin of my teeth!

ak47is1337
GTA2056V

03-21-2017, 11:11 PM #2
FEEL BLESSED. I bought a 99 from chicago and the previous owner LITERALLY JB WELDED THEM ALL IN. great excuse to get another head, have it machined, ported and polished with upgraded valve springs from F-TUNE!
ak47is1337
03-21-2017, 11:11 PM #2

FEEL BLESSED. I bought a 99 from chicago and the previous owner LITERALLY JB WELDED THEM ALL IN. great excuse to get another head, have it machined, ported and polished with upgraded valve springs from F-TUNE!

barrote
Superturbo

03-22-2017, 02:44 AM #3
Everybody had the same assle every now and then....
I removed many, when engine is ouside car takes 5 to 10 min, when is in the car it might take longuer . Maybe and entire morning.
The trick is not to brake the GP. If does not move dont force it. Brake using a plyer the cathode. Use 10.25mm drill bit cut about a 15mm down in the head about the size of the threads. Remove the thread part og glow plug. Inside u have the the cathode tip and the remaining. Drill M7 threads and hammer it out. Same way as pre cups.
Along the way use carbon remover if u have if not wd40.
There is other tricks like when they move a litle. Heating and cooling cycles ... twist one side and the other eventuallu will get out.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
03-22-2017, 02:44 AM #3

Everybody had the same assle every now and then....
I removed many, when engine is ouside car takes 5 to 10 min, when is in the car it might take longuer . Maybe and entire morning.
The trick is not to brake the GP. If does not move dont force it. Brake using a plyer the cathode. Use 10.25mm drill bit cut about a 15mm down in the head about the size of the threads. Remove the thread part og glow plug. Inside u have the the cathode tip and the remaining. Drill M7 threads and hammer it out. Same way as pre cups.
Along the way use carbon remover if u have if not wd40.
There is other tricks like when they move a litle. Heating and cooling cycles ... twist one side and the other eventuallu will get out.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

starynovy
Holset

03-22-2017, 04:33 AM #4
Hah Lucky you. i have gp tip stuck in customer CDI head, drove for 1300km lot of hammering on gas pedal to no avail.Big Grin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex: 525tds 130kW, C250TD 160kW, E320CDI 200kW, ML400CDI 230kW, A6 R5TDI 130kW
Now: Q7 V8TDI 240kW, 320d 150kW, 335d 210kW
starynovy
03-22-2017, 04:33 AM #4

Hah Lucky you. i have gp tip stuck in customer CDI head, drove for 1300km lot of hammering on gas pedal to no avail.Big Grin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex: 525tds 130kW, C250TD 160kW, E320CDI 200kW, ML400CDI 230kW, A6 R5TDI 130kW
Now: Q7 V8TDI 240kW, 320d 150kW, 335d 210kW

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

03-22-2017, 11:02 AM #5
Go buy a lottery ticket!

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
03-22-2017, 11:02 AM #5

Go buy a lottery ticket!

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

maxypriest
Holset

03-22-2017, 11:50 AM #6
I bought an old w210 for £500, it was a proper stinker inside however mechanically spot on and all 6 GP’s just unscrewed beautifully.

The block and head were like new with all the paint in perfect condition – looking closely I found a metal plate riveted to the block that said in German something like ‘Genuine Mercedes Replacement engine’. For £500!

I went out and bought some lotto tickets.

W124 om606 HX40 finished and it's a beauty 450bhp/456ft-lbs
maxypriest
03-22-2017, 11:50 AM #6

I bought an old w210 for £500, it was a proper stinker inside however mechanically spot on and all 6 GP’s just unscrewed beautifully.

The block and head were like new with all the paint in perfect condition – looking closely I found a metal plate riveted to the block that said in German something like ‘Genuine Mercedes Replacement engine’. For £500!

I went out and bought some lotto tickets.

W124 om606 HX40 finished and it's a beauty 450bhp/456ft-lbs

Mallinman
GT2256V

03-22-2017, 04:12 PM #7
I had to remove all 5 of mine. 4 snapped off. I watched the dpuk video on YouTube 2. It was daunting drilling out the threads. Really didn't want to nacker them up. Built a homemade slide hammer using a sledgehammer head. My engine was on a stand tho. It was real satisfying tho hearing it fire up first turn after.

Mitsubishi L200 manual om605  
7.5mm Bosch 044 fed pump 
Borgwarner S200 
Mallinman
03-22-2017, 04:12 PM #7

I had to remove all 5 of mine. 4 snapped off. I watched the dpuk video on YouTube 2. It was daunting drilling out the threads. Really didn't want to nacker them up. Built a homemade slide hammer using a sledgehammer head. My engine was on a stand tho. It was real satisfying tho hearing it fire up first turn after.

Mitsubishi L200 manual om605  
7.5mm Bosch 044 fed pump 
Borgwarner S200 

charlysays
GTA2056V

03-28-2017, 10:00 AM #8
(03-22-2017, 04:12 PM)Mallinman I had to remove all 5 of mine. 4 snapped off. I watched the dpuk video on YouTube 2. It was daunting drilling out the threads. Really didn't want to nacker them up. Built a homemade slide hammer using a sledgehammer head. My engine was on a stand tho. It was real satisfying tho hearing it fire up first turn after.

I've never failed to get all the glow plugs out intact on several OM605 turbo but I am very patient. You would be surprised how many seized glow plugs will actually come out in one bit if you get the engine really hot and gently try to unscrew it. Even soaking with diesel etc a night before helps a bit. Usually you can get them to move a bit before reaching breaking point and by doing this you start to break up the packed in carbon. 1/8 turn out, 1/8 turn back in and slowly the plug starts to unscrew a little more each time, which breaks the carbon up more and also allows more room for the carbon as you start to get it out thread by thread. Lukes got his method sorted there so maybe it's more convenient for him, but for a DIY mechanic it's worth a go doing it the slow way.
charlysays
03-28-2017, 10:00 AM #8

(03-22-2017, 04:12 PM)Mallinman I had to remove all 5 of mine. 4 snapped off. I watched the dpuk video on YouTube 2. It was daunting drilling out the threads. Really didn't want to nacker them up. Built a homemade slide hammer using a sledgehammer head. My engine was on a stand tho. It was real satisfying tho hearing it fire up first turn after.

I've never failed to get all the glow plugs out intact on several OM605 turbo but I am very patient. You would be surprised how many seized glow plugs will actually come out in one bit if you get the engine really hot and gently try to unscrew it. Even soaking with diesel etc a night before helps a bit. Usually you can get them to move a bit before reaching breaking point and by doing this you start to break up the packed in carbon. 1/8 turn out, 1/8 turn back in and slowly the plug starts to unscrew a little more each time, which breaks the carbon up more and also allows more room for the carbon as you start to get it out thread by thread. Lukes got his method sorted there so maybe it's more convenient for him, but for a DIY mechanic it's worth a go doing it the slow way.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average