W220 320cdi Challenge!! Refuse to start

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ducos
HX35

03-09-2017, 01:15 PM #1
Confused  challenge!!

I think i have actually lost the fight with my w220 320cdi
I HATE LOSING Sad

"When it starts it runs totally fine, you can force it by one squirt of start spray"

Rebuilt hp pump by myself(checked with star, better pressure than mercedes spec)
__Star at dealer cannot find any error__
New bosch feed pump
New filter and gasket
New plastic lines including gaskets.
Bought refurbished injectors, didnt work so i did them myself afterwards(missing parts inside, fine now)
New rail sensors
New cam and crank sensor
Starts sometimes. Warmstart(if u read "info" in command) it will almoat never start)
I think i have done everything, and bought most of new parts at dealer. (Discount, not so bad price)

This is all i remember now. I dont get it. I hate cdi now i think. Idi or nothing :-(

Picture from inside injector i bought refurbished...
This post was last modified: 03-09-2017, 01:22 PM by Ducos.
Attached Files
Image(s)

W201 2.5 turbo, restored, stock, aut. -89 
W220 320cdi
Mazda RX-7 FD man. -92

Ducos
03-09-2017, 01:15 PM #1

Confused  challenge!!

I think i have actually lost the fight with my w220 320cdi
I HATE LOSING Sad

"When it starts it runs totally fine, you can force it by one squirt of start spray"

Rebuilt hp pump by myself(checked with star, better pressure than mercedes spec)
__Star at dealer cannot find any error__
New bosch feed pump
New filter and gasket
New plastic lines including gaskets.
Bought refurbished injectors, didnt work so i did them myself afterwards(missing parts inside, fine now)
New rail sensors
New cam and crank sensor
Starts sometimes. Warmstart(if u read "info" in command) it will almoat never start)
I think i have done everything, and bought most of new parts at dealer. (Discount, not so bad price)

This is all i remember now. I dont get it. I hate cdi now i think. Idi or nothing :-(

Picture from inside injector i bought refurbished...

Attached Files
Image(s)

W220 320cdi
Mazda RX-7 FD man. -92

barrote
Superturbo

03-09-2017, 02:00 PM #2
Watch parameters online if get it to run , look at pressures and temps ... but u need the OBD reader interface for that.
u might just have small snag in the wires.... some hardware runing bad .....simple thing like one bad conection give´s u that shitty problems.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
03-09-2017, 02:00 PM #2

Watch parameters online if get it to run , look at pressures and temps ... but u need the OBD reader interface for that.
u might just have small snag in the wires.... some hardware runing bad .....simple thing like one bad conection give´s u that shitty problems.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Ducos
HX35

03-09-2017, 02:13 PM #3
(03-09-2017, 02:00 PM)barrote Watch parameters online if get it to run , look at pressures and temps ... but u need the OBD reader interface for that.

thx for reply, i have friends at mercedes dealer here, we ran the STAR 3 whole nights. all temps and pressure is normal... 

Any tips for what to look for in bad boxes or wires? something standard? :->

W220 320cdi
Mazda RX-7 FD man. -92

Ducos
03-09-2017, 02:13 PM #3

(03-09-2017, 02:00 PM)barrote Watch parameters online if get it to run , look at pressures and temps ... but u need the OBD reader interface for that.

thx for reply, i have friends at mercedes dealer here, we ran the STAR 3 whole nights. all temps and pressure is normal... 

Any tips for what to look for in bad boxes or wires? something standard? :->

W220 320cdi
Mazda RX-7 FD man. -92

whipplem104
Holset

03-09-2017, 09:09 PM #4
If it starts off of starter fluid sprayed in the intake then it is not getting enough fuel pressure to start. A rediculously small internal leak in the injectors to the return line will cause this. You need to put the little measuring bottles on the injector return lines and crank. There is a specific amount they are allowed to leak. Also if the feed pressure at the high pressure pump is not high enough they will never start. So check the feed pressure from the gas tank electric pump to the high pressure pump. Just remember that about a 1mm hole or less will leak enough fuel pressure that it will never attempt to fire an injector.
whipplem104
03-09-2017, 09:09 PM #4

If it starts off of starter fluid sprayed in the intake then it is not getting enough fuel pressure to start. A rediculously small internal leak in the injectors to the return line will cause this. You need to put the little measuring bottles on the injector return lines and crank. There is a specific amount they are allowed to leak. Also if the feed pressure at the high pressure pump is not high enough they will never start. So check the feed pressure from the gas tank electric pump to the high pressure pump. Just remember that about a 1mm hole or less will leak enough fuel pressure that it will never attempt to fire an injector.

barrote
Superturbo

03-10-2017, 02:33 AM #5
CDI is just dificult to troubleshoot.
It might well be injection hardware related, since u done some major changes...
Sorry cant help much. Any case is a case.
Wires and leaks are common problems . So as any other hardware.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
03-10-2017, 02:33 AM #5

CDI is just dificult to troubleshoot.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Ducos
HX35

03-10-2017, 04:30 AM #6
(03-09-2017, 09:09 PM)whipplem104 If it starts off of starter fluid sprayed in the intake then it is not getting enough fuel pressure to start. A rediculously small internal leak in the injectors to the return line will cause this. You need to put the little measuring bottles on the injector return lines and crank. There is a specific amount they are allowed to leak. Also if the feed pressure at the high pressure pump is not high enough they will never start. So check the feed pressure from the gas tank electric pump to the high pressure pump. Just remember that about a 1mm hole or less will leak enough fuel pressure that it will never attempt to fire an injector.

Hi and thanks. Have several mercedes STAR dignostics at dealer.  All pressures are good/fine.
The injector leak off test is also fine.

From my knowledge this is a CDI2. So it is mechanical lift pump at front, over the high pressure pump. This one is new bosch. I keep scratching my head and cant understand anything....

W220 320cdi
Mazda RX-7 FD man. -92

Ducos
03-10-2017, 04:30 AM #6

(03-09-2017, 09:09 PM)whipplem104 If it starts off of starter fluid sprayed in the intake then it is not getting enough fuel pressure to start. A rediculously small internal leak in the injectors to the return line will cause this. You need to put the little measuring bottles on the injector return lines and crank. There is a specific amount they are allowed to leak. Also if the feed pressure at the high pressure pump is not high enough they will never start. So check the feed pressure from the gas tank electric pump to the high pressure pump. Just remember that about a 1mm hole or less will leak enough fuel pressure that it will never attempt to fire an injector.

Hi and thanks. Have several mercedes STAR dignostics at dealer.  All pressures are good/fine.
The injector leak off test is also fine.

From my knowledge this is a CDI2. So it is mechanical lift pump at front, over the high pressure pump. This one is new bosch. I keep scratching my head and cant understand anything....

W220 320cdi
Mazda RX-7 FD man. -92

Ducos
HX35

03-10-2017, 04:54 AM #7
(03-10-2017, 02:33 AM)barrote CDI is just dificult to troubleshoot.

Thanks.. I think it is sad actually. W220 is a really good car with 320cdi. But this is not good enough i think.. i will keep trying, i cant lose to a damn car haha

W220 320cdi
Mazda RX-7 FD man. -92

Ducos
03-10-2017, 04:54 AM #7

(03-10-2017, 02:33 AM)barrote CDI is just dificult to troubleshoot.

Thanks.. I think it is sad actually. W220 is a really good car with 320cdi. But this is not good enough i think.. i will keep trying, i cant lose to a damn car haha

W220 320cdi
Mazda RX-7 FD man. -92

barrote
Superturbo

03-10-2017, 07:19 AM #8
nan nan nan ,
Once i was chatting with a friend about a PSA engine that had a intermitent failure, or it didn´t start or it stalled, sometimes run fine the others failed and so on. Basically we found out that a cable from one injector was defective, that was causing the failure to run properly, fixed . Was doing the same then i was watching carefully the ECU parameters online and Idle rail pressure was too high, strange went in the car and thr it and it did not move. Later on we discovered the rail press valve defective.
The interesting was that the ECU reported no failure , except when the engine stalled in driving. Then we understood that when the rail press valve was not doing his job correctly the engine did not start due to lack of pressure to injectors.

I´m not saying u have same problema... one thing we know is: does your injectors injecting? remove one line install one spiting in atmosphere. check the conections one by one.
If engine is 613, there is one fuel line below the main HP pump that may be eaten by the belt. in this case the system does not bleed....

back basics, go after fuel at injector tip, then come backwards, u´ll find the problema.

good luck brother

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
03-10-2017, 07:19 AM #8

nan nan nan ,
Once i was chatting with a friend about a PSA engine that had a intermitent failure, or it didn´t start or it stalled, sometimes run fine the others failed and so on. Basically we found out that a cable from one injector was defective, that was causing the failure to run properly, fixed . Was doing the same then i was watching carefully the ECU parameters online and Idle rail pressure was too high, strange went in the car and thr it and it did not move. Later on we discovered the rail press valve defective.
The interesting was that the ECU reported no failure , except when the engine stalled in driving. Then we understood that when the rail press valve was not doing his job correctly the engine did not start due to lack of pressure to injectors.

I´m not saying u have same problema... one thing we know is: does your injectors injecting? remove one line install one spiting in atmosphere. check the conections one by one.
If engine is 613, there is one fuel line below the main HP pump that may be eaten by the belt. in this case the system does not bleed....

back basics, go after fuel at injector tip, then come backwards, u´ll find the problema.

good luck brother

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Ducos
HX35

03-10-2017, 11:22 AM #9
(03-10-2017, 07:19 AM)barrote nan nan nan ,

good luck brother
Thx bro! I watched some russian assemble some injectors and i think i wanna go try again today!
All the plastic lines are new from MB. (Auch, expensive)

The pressure valve is noted.  It has a brand new sealing kit. But ill keep it in mind.
Will have a go again!

W220 320cdi
Mazda RX-7 FD man. -92

Ducos
03-10-2017, 11:22 AM #9

(03-10-2017, 07:19 AM)barrote nan nan nan ,

good luck brother
Thx bro! I watched some russian assemble some injectors and i think i wanna go try again today!
All the plastic lines are new from MB. (Auch, expensive)

The pressure valve is noted.  It has a brand new sealing kit. But ill keep it in mind.
Will have a go again!

W220 320cdi
Mazda RX-7 FD man. -92

Ducos
HX35

03-10-2017, 03:04 PM #10
did leakoff test once more, redid 1 injector and now all 6 are equal. very little leaks back...

will not fkn start !! im so pissed at this engine haha :-D

does anyone know what the button/valve on the plastic line is? its located at the rail. low pressure plastic lines

next will be to find a fuel pressure sensor to borrow for test....

W220 320cdi
Mazda RX-7 FD man. -92

Ducos
03-10-2017, 03:04 PM #10

did leakoff test once more, redid 1 injector and now all 6 are equal. very little leaks back...

will not fkn start !! im so pissed at this engine haha :-D

does anyone know what the button/valve on the plastic line is? its located at the rail. low pressure plastic lines

next will be to find a fuel pressure sensor to borrow for test....

W220 320cdi
Mazda RX-7 FD man. -92

barrote
Superturbo

03-11-2017, 01:33 AM #11
Listen...
That or is lack of fuel injection or electrics.
Electrics are less prone to failure and harder to detect.
U got to search where is the fuel. If the fuel is getting out the injector, then is time for searching electrics!
By this rational thinking u'll find the problem. 
Good luck

FD,