STD Tuning Engine om603 rod bearings

om603 rod bearings

om603 rod bearings

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

winequip_td
K26-2

10-12-2009, 09:03 PM #1
I was recently installing new connecting rod bearings in a 603.960 engine when i went to install them i realized that the locking tab holes on the rod side are bigger than the ones in the rod cap. So the bearing halve fits into the rod side but not the caps because the tabs are to wide for the cap. I have been told by multiple engine builders to file down the sides of the tabs until they fit into the caps. What i want to know is if this is an acceptable practise or not. By the way these are oem mercedes glyco bearings for the 603 but I have been told that there have been a revision since these, (maybe thats why i got them so cheep). One of thr revisions that i could visually see is the new bearings upper halves have a hole drilled in them presumably for oiling the wrist pin that the old ones did not have. I did contact the person who sold them to me and he assures me they are correct. What i want to know is should i file down the sides of the tabs on the lower halves to make them fit and will that extra oil hole make a difference.

thanks for all the Help

Nathan
This post was last modified: 10-18-2009, 04:26 PM by winequip_td.
winequip_td
10-12-2009, 09:03 PM #1

I was recently installing new connecting rod bearings in a 603.960 engine when i went to install them i realized that the locking tab holes on the rod side are bigger than the ones in the rod cap. So the bearing halve fits into the rod side but not the caps because the tabs are to wide for the cap. I have been told by multiple engine builders to file down the sides of the tabs until they fit into the caps. What i want to know is if this is an acceptable practise or not. By the way these are oem mercedes glyco bearings for the 603 but I have been told that there have been a revision since these, (maybe thats why i got them so cheep). One of thr revisions that i could visually see is the new bearings upper halves have a hole drilled in them presumably for oiling the wrist pin that the old ones did not have. I did contact the person who sold them to me and he assures me they are correct. What i want to know is should i file down the sides of the tabs on the lower halves to make them fit and will that extra oil hole make a difference.

thanks for all the Help

Nathan

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-12-2009, 09:38 PM #2
I wouldn't have a any reservations of grinding down the tabs. As long as you don't remove too much material from the tabs and the bearing halves line up, and most importantly that you are in spec with the oil clearance. Then it should be fine.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
10-12-2009, 09:38 PM #2

I wouldn't have a any reservations of grinding down the tabs. As long as you don't remove too much material from the tabs and the bearing halves line up, and most importantly that you are in spec with the oil clearance. Then it should be fine.

Einar
GT2256V

10-13-2009, 03:28 AM #3
The bearing-caps is different for upper and lower, they only fit the correct place.
If you look at them you should see a differens in meterials and the size of the tabs, if you can`t see this you should go to the shop where you bought the bearings and get the correct ones.

I got bearings from a local motor-shop, and their fit was like original.

I did this on this car/engine, so it should be the same :-)
VIN WDB1241931F184501
Model 300 TD TURBODIESEL
Chassis 1241931F184501
Engine 603960 12 033220
Einar
10-13-2009, 03:28 AM #3

The bearing-caps is different for upper and lower, they only fit the correct place.
If you look at them you should see a differens in meterials and the size of the tabs, if you can`t see this you should go to the shop where you bought the bearings and get the correct ones.

I got bearings from a local motor-shop, and their fit was like original.

I did this on this car/engine, so it should be the same :-)
VIN WDB1241931F184501
Model 300 TD TURBODIESEL
Chassis 1241931F184501
Engine 603960 12 033220

winequip_td
K26-2

10-13-2009, 12:05 PM #4
I realize the tab size is different between the cap and the rod but on the new bearings the tabs are the same size on both sides. I did file and install them and the oil clearance is within spec. The amount of material i took off was about .5mm on both sides of the tab for the bearing halve that goes into the cap the uppers fit in with no modification. What about the oil hole in the uppers should they be ok with them? I have talked to the shop that sold them to me ans they assure me they are correct. The box says the engine code on it, what i was told was that these are an old version and there has been a revision since these but they did need some sort of modification but he didnt know what it was. also there is definetly no disernabel difference between the upper and lower material. Is it possible that the bearings are different between the turbo and non turbo engines? my engine is a turbo but the box does not specify weather they are turbo or not.
I did a bit of research and the bearings i installed look like the 84-85 190d bearings(attached picture first) and the ones i took out look like the other ones (attached picture second)
thanks For all the help Nathan
This post was last modified: 10-13-2009, 12:34 PM by winequip_td.
Attached Files
Image(s)

winequip_td
10-13-2009, 12:05 PM #4

I realize the tab size is different between the cap and the rod but on the new bearings the tabs are the same size on both sides. I did file and install them and the oil clearance is within spec. The amount of material i took off was about .5mm on both sides of the tab for the bearing halve that goes into the cap the uppers fit in with no modification. What about the oil hole in the uppers should they be ok with them? I have talked to the shop that sold them to me ans they assure me they are correct. The box says the engine code on it, what i was told was that these are an old version and there has been a revision since these but they did need some sort of modification but he didnt know what it was. also there is definetly no disernabel difference between the upper and lower material. Is it possible that the bearings are different between the turbo and non turbo engines? my engine is a turbo but the box does not specify weather they are turbo or not.
I did a bit of research and the bearings i installed look like the 84-85 190d bearings(attached picture first) and the ones i took out look like the other ones (attached picture second)
thanks For all the help Nathan

Attached Files
Image(s)

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-13-2009, 01:07 PM #5
(10-13-2009, 12:05 PM)winequip_td ... Is it possible that the bearings are different between the turbo and non turbo engines? my ..

FWIW, This place sells the bearings with the oil passage hole for the turbo motors.

http://www.mercedes230partsstore.com/pro...Turbo.html

But I would imagine the wrist pin getting oil from the oil jets on the block. The N/A motor would get it's oil through the rod.

Unless there is a specific bearing material difference, I don't think the hole will pose a problem.

This post was last modified: 10-13-2009, 01:09 PM by DeliveryValve.

DeliveryValve
10-13-2009, 01:07 PM #5

(10-13-2009, 12:05 PM)winequip_td ... Is it possible that the bearings are different between the turbo and non turbo engines? my ..

FWIW, This place sells the bearings with the oil passage hole for the turbo motors.

http://www.mercedes230partsstore.com/pro...Turbo.html

But I would imagine the wrist pin getting oil from the oil jets on the block. The N/A motor would get it's oil through the rod.

Unless there is a specific bearing material difference, I don't think the hole will pose a problem.

E300TSC
Turbo-Supercharged

10-13-2009, 02:06 PM #6
Beyond the little hole at the small end of the rod, I've never seen any engine where the wrist pin is oiled "through" the rod such is through a passage up the rod. I have been known to be wrong though...
E300TSC
10-13-2009, 02:06 PM #6

Beyond the little hole at the small end of the rod, I've never seen any engine where the wrist pin is oiled "through" the rod such is through a passage up the rod. I have been known to be wrong though...

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-13-2009, 02:26 PM #7
(10-13-2009, 02:06 PM)E300TSC Beyond the little hole at the small end of the rod, I've never seen any engine where the wrist pin is oiled "through" the rod such is through a passage up the rod. I have been known to be wrong though...

Auto Manufactures do make them for a Full force-feed lubrication system.

There are different versions.

Oil passage up through the rod.

Or oil jets on the side of the rod.

This post was last modified: 10-13-2009, 02:27 PM by DeliveryValve.

DeliveryValve
10-13-2009, 02:26 PM #7

(10-13-2009, 02:06 PM)E300TSC Beyond the little hole at the small end of the rod, I've never seen any engine where the wrist pin is oiled "through" the rod such is through a passage up the rod. I have been known to be wrong though...

Auto Manufactures do make them for a Full force-feed lubrication system.

There are different versions.

Oil passage up through the rod.

Or oil jets on the side of the rod.

E300TSC
Turbo-Supercharged

10-13-2009, 03:06 PM #8
Interesting... I've never seen anything but the passive "hole in the end" setup that just gets oil splashed into it.
E300TSC
10-13-2009, 03:06 PM #8

Interesting... I've never seen anything but the passive "hole in the end" setup that just gets oil splashed into it.

winequip_td
K26-2

10-15-2009, 08:01 AM #9
my biggest concern is having a rod bearing spin on me, do you think that removing that bit of material will affect the locking ability of the tab. I am planning on having this engine produce 350-400 hp so i dont want any issues.

thanks Nathan
winequip_td
10-15-2009, 08:01 AM #9

my biggest concern is having a rod bearing spin on me, do you think that removing that bit of material will affect the locking ability of the tab. I am planning on having this engine produce 350-400 hp so i dont want any issues.

thanks Nathan

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-15-2009, 10:42 AM #10
(10-15-2009, 08:01 AM)winequip_td my biggest concern is having a rod bearing spin on me, do you think that removing that bit of material will affect the locking ability of the tab. I am planning on having this engine produce 350-400 hp so i dont want any issues.

thanks Nathan

The tabs on a bearing are not really "locking" tabs, they do little in locking the bearings down. The tabs are really positioning tabs that allow the bearing to be in a correct position on the saddle. What really locks the bearing halves in place is the bearing's circumference are manufactured a bit longer than the bearing saddle circumference. When the two halves are torqued down with the caps, you get a crush. This outward force holds the bearings in place. Sort of like a press fit.

So I think you should be OK. But maybe someone else can offer their opinion on this. This whole ordeal is not typical of a bearing install in regards of it's initial fit and appearance.

This post was last modified: 10-15-2009, 10:43 AM by DeliveryValve.

DeliveryValve
10-15-2009, 10:42 AM #10

(10-15-2009, 08:01 AM)winequip_td my biggest concern is having a rod bearing spin on me, do you think that removing that bit of material will affect the locking ability of the tab. I am planning on having this engine produce 350-400 hp so i dont want any issues.

thanks Nathan

The tabs on a bearing are not really "locking" tabs, they do little in locking the bearings down. The tabs are really positioning tabs that allow the bearing to be in a correct position on the saddle. What really locks the bearing halves in place is the bearing's circumference are manufactured a bit longer than the bearing saddle circumference. When the two halves are torqued down with the caps, you get a crush. This outward force holds the bearings in place. Sort of like a press fit.

So I think you should be OK. But maybe someone else can offer their opinion on this. This whole ordeal is not typical of a bearing install in regards of it's initial fit and appearance.

winequip_td
K26-2

10-16-2009, 11:49 PM #11
also when you installed your bearings did you reuse the rod bolts? and what did you torque them to?
thanks Nathan
winequip_td
10-16-2009, 11:49 PM #11

also when you installed your bearings did you reuse the rod bolts? and what did you torque them to?
thanks Nathan

hannes_s
K26-2

07-23-2012, 02:38 AM #12
I am planning to use OM601 rod bearings in my OM606 N/A. Is it OK, if I buy three sets of OM601 bearings, throw away the ones wich have holes drilled in (for piston pin lubrication that OM606 engines dont have) and use only the ones with no hole (wich should be used lower). The reason is that OM601 three rod bearing sets cost ~26€ and OM606 rod bearing set costs 162€.
hannes_s
07-23-2012, 02:38 AM #12

I am planning to use OM601 rod bearings in my OM606 N/A. Is it OK, if I buy three sets of OM601 bearings, throw away the ones wich have holes drilled in (for piston pin lubrication that OM606 engines dont have) and use only the ones with no hole (wich should be used lower). The reason is that OM601 three rod bearing sets cost ~26€ and OM606 rod bearing set costs 162€.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average