STD Maintenance General Smokes like freight train.....help!!

Smokes like freight train.....help!!

Smokes like freight train.....help!!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

flymehomenow
Unregistered

10-12-2009, 02:24 PM #1
I own a 1983SD with verified 127K on meter. Bought over a year ago from original owner. Old fellow that obviously didn't drive it a lot and was deferring some of the more pricey maintenance items. When I first bought it, it had been gone through by indy retired from MB shop where he started working in 1979. Gray haired indy with tons of knowledge on diesels, problem is he lives near Des Moines, Iowa and I live near Indianapolis, IN. Valves adjusted by indy at 122,800 miles along with new fuel filters. IP was drip timed along with new timing chain & guides. Indy replaced oil pan gasket and transmission filter, new fluid in transmission and rear end. Oil & filter changed. Indy claimed that the internal engine was a clean as a brand new car.

As preventive measures I have replaced: vacuum pump, oil cooler lines, water pump, belts, hoses, new Bilstein HD shocks, motor mounts and motor shocks and bushings, new air filter, rubber turbo waste gate hose, oil breather hose, oil & filter change, upgraded to H4 lights, window tinting & wiper blades. Everything on this car works exactly as it is supposed to work and having lived most of its life in TX and NC, PO claimed that it has seen snow only twice in its life and garaged since new. Paint is still shiney and only a couple of passenger door dings on it. Stock to the bone.

Car ran good but was sluggish, but never any smoke. This spring I let the fuel tank run down to 1/4 tank so that I could start process of going through fuel system to make sure there was no problems. Filled up with D2 and came home and car was running great. Still warm, wife drove off for an errand 10 miles away. Car was off for about an hour. Came home with car and complained that it was making lots of noise, extremely sluggish, and smoking heavily. Car still starts on first revolution when started. I was perplexed.

What I have done since this condition arose. Have performed two diesel purges, replacing both fuel filters each time. Used two cans of diesel purge each time. Have run two tank fulls of B20 with little or no dis-colorization of clear in-line filter. Replaced both filters again thinking that fuel had been compromised. Installed new injectors/heat shields complete with new nozzles; Monarch at 135 bar torgued to 60 lbs/sq in. Replaced with new over boost switch, new turbo intake rubber seals, cleaned banjo bolt and lines going to ALDA. Stuck finger in turbo and turbo seems to turn freely with no slop or wallow in the bearing. Stock turbo and as far I can see this is an unmolested intake. Still smokes at idle and even heavier under acceleration. I believe that these systems are cause by over fueling or not enough air. Removed and plugged EGR valve. Car runs stronger than ever, good initial acceleration and great highway acceleration. Still smokes like crazy. Decided to adjust the still virgin ALDA. No change in smoke problem and ALDA was returned to original setting as this is where it runs best with best shifting and throttle response characteristics. All throttle linkages have been checked to make sure that throttle hits stop point on IP. Still smoking.

What do I do now? I have exhausted every avenue that I know. Have read on other Forums that I need to block the ARV? I don't know where or what this is. I assume they mean the Air Recirculation Valve but I don't know where or what this is. Please help me as I am bummed out that I cannot fix this excessive smoke situation. The car does seem to shake quite a bit when cold but does lessen after warmed up. Do we have an IP delivery valve problem? Air getting into "screw on" filter housing? White plastic gizmo attached to IP, fire wall side of ALDA? Vacuum leak somewhere? Clear in-line filter shows no signs of air bubbles, and updated model of Bosch primer pump shows no visible leaks. Help in Indianapolis as I really want to get this car operating without excessive smoke.
flymehomenow
10-12-2009, 02:24 PM #1

I own a 1983SD with verified 127K on meter. Bought over a year ago from original owner. Old fellow that obviously didn't drive it a lot and was deferring some of the more pricey maintenance items. When I first bought it, it had been gone through by indy retired from MB shop where he started working in 1979. Gray haired indy with tons of knowledge on diesels, problem is he lives near Des Moines, Iowa and I live near Indianapolis, IN. Valves adjusted by indy at 122,800 miles along with new fuel filters. IP was drip timed along with new timing chain & guides. Indy replaced oil pan gasket and transmission filter, new fluid in transmission and rear end. Oil & filter changed. Indy claimed that the internal engine was a clean as a brand new car.

As preventive measures I have replaced: vacuum pump, oil cooler lines, water pump, belts, hoses, new Bilstein HD shocks, motor mounts and motor shocks and bushings, new air filter, rubber turbo waste gate hose, oil breather hose, oil & filter change, upgraded to H4 lights, window tinting & wiper blades. Everything on this car works exactly as it is supposed to work and having lived most of its life in TX and NC, PO claimed that it has seen snow only twice in its life and garaged since new. Paint is still shiney and only a couple of passenger door dings on it. Stock to the bone.

Car ran good but was sluggish, but never any smoke. This spring I let the fuel tank run down to 1/4 tank so that I could start process of going through fuel system to make sure there was no problems. Filled up with D2 and came home and car was running great. Still warm, wife drove off for an errand 10 miles away. Car was off for about an hour. Came home with car and complained that it was making lots of noise, extremely sluggish, and smoking heavily. Car still starts on first revolution when started. I was perplexed.

What I have done since this condition arose. Have performed two diesel purges, replacing both fuel filters each time. Used two cans of diesel purge each time. Have run two tank fulls of B20 with little or no dis-colorization of clear in-line filter. Replaced both filters again thinking that fuel had been compromised. Installed new injectors/heat shields complete with new nozzles; Monarch at 135 bar torgued to 60 lbs/sq in. Replaced with new over boost switch, new turbo intake rubber seals, cleaned banjo bolt and lines going to ALDA. Stuck finger in turbo and turbo seems to turn freely with no slop or wallow in the bearing. Stock turbo and as far I can see this is an unmolested intake. Still smokes at idle and even heavier under acceleration. I believe that these systems are cause by over fueling or not enough air. Removed and plugged EGR valve. Car runs stronger than ever, good initial acceleration and great highway acceleration. Still smokes like crazy. Decided to adjust the still virgin ALDA. No change in smoke problem and ALDA was returned to original setting as this is where it runs best with best shifting and throttle response characteristics. All throttle linkages have been checked to make sure that throttle hits stop point on IP. Still smoking.

What do I do now? I have exhausted every avenue that I know. Have read on other Forums that I need to block the ARV? I don't know where or what this is. I assume they mean the Air Recirculation Valve but I don't know where or what this is. Please help me as I am bummed out that I cannot fix this excessive smoke situation. The car does seem to shake quite a bit when cold but does lessen after warmed up. Do we have an IP delivery valve problem? Air getting into "screw on" filter housing? White plastic gizmo attached to IP, fire wall side of ALDA? Vacuum leak somewhere? Clear in-line filter shows no signs of air bubbles, and updated model of Bosch primer pump shows no visible leaks. Help in Indianapolis as I really want to get this car operating without excessive smoke.

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

11-03-2009, 11:29 PM #2
I would respond to this if you're still around. ... but not just for the hell of it.
totaldisaster
11-03-2009, 11:29 PM #2

I would respond to this if you're still around. ... but not just for the hell of it.

flymehomenow
Unregistered

11-04-2009, 01:10 PM #3
Well I had hoped that I didn't give all of this information to be ignored. I am looking at getting some help for this problem and don't want to throw a bunch of money or spend any more time pissing up a rope in trying to find why this 300SD went from not smoking to smoking. Yes, I would very much appreciate any input from any member who can chime in on this one and help me down the right path. Thanks.
flymehomenow
11-04-2009, 01:10 PM #3

Well I had hoped that I didn't give all of this information to be ignored. I am looking at getting some help for this problem and don't want to throw a bunch of money or spend any more time pissing up a rope in trying to find why this 300SD went from not smoking to smoking. Yes, I would very much appreciate any input from any member who can chime in on this one and help me down the right path. Thanks.

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

11-04-2009, 04:07 PM #4
Before we start casting suspicions, let's find out exactly what is coming out of your tailpipe.

Do you know what healthy diezl exhaust should smell like? What about burning crankcase oil and coolant?

If you don't know what oil looks and smells like burning, put some on a piece of newspaper and light it up, give it a whiff etc..

There isn't much explanation for unburnt fuel at idle unless the engine is being starved of air or an injector is all FUBAR. Sounds like you took care of both of those and already fiddled w/ Alda - forget this for now.

For coolant, put a cold piece of metal at the end of the tailpipe to see if any moisture condenses on it. Or put your hand there if you know the difference, or just smell it and look for drops before the exhaust gets too hot.

get back to us when you think you are sure what is burning / what the smoke is made of.
totaldisaster
11-04-2009, 04:07 PM #4

Before we start casting suspicions, let's find out exactly what is coming out of your tailpipe.

Do you know what healthy diezl exhaust should smell like? What about burning crankcase oil and coolant?

If you don't know what oil looks and smells like burning, put some on a piece of newspaper and light it up, give it a whiff etc..

There isn't much explanation for unburnt fuel at idle unless the engine is being starved of air or an injector is all FUBAR. Sounds like you took care of both of those and already fiddled w/ Alda - forget this for now.

For coolant, put a cold piece of metal at the end of the tailpipe to see if any moisture condenses on it. Or put your hand there if you know the difference, or just smell it and look for drops before the exhaust gets too hot.

get back to us when you think you are sure what is burning / what the smoke is made of.

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

11-10-2009, 04:11 AM #5
one week... no update?
totaldisaster
11-10-2009, 04:11 AM #5

one week... no update?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average