STD Tuning Engine w210 om606 potential race car

w210 om606 potential race car

w210 om606 potential race car

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

buzzboy
K26-2

12-29-2016, 02:31 PM #1
I'm on the team Idle Clatter Racing. We're the idiots who campaign this lovely w116.120 in The 24 Hours of Lemons
We want to go faster. This girl has about 10 races on her and we're finally good enough drivers that speed is limiting us. We sit about 3500lbs race weight and have a bone stock engine. We've been discussing potential engine swaps into Planet Express and no matter what we do we're looking in the three digit price range. The thing is, we can get a w210 for the same price and at that point do we want to deal with the swap or start pre-swapped and with a more modern, lighter chassis that can fit bigger wheels/tires. The choice was easy. So we're talking about doing a w210 e300 Turbodiesel racecar. I know nothing about the om606 having spent the last 3.5 years working on an om617 and putting all my effort into it. 

Will we have any trouble running the car stock? We'd talked about doing a mech pump for simplicity but unless we go custom we'd be down on power, yes?

Are the stock transmissions in these strong like the one in our w116? I would assume it's got a big factory trans cooler like our w116 and if it didn't we'd be adding one before racing.

How would the kill switch work? It was easy on the mech pump, using a normally open solenoid. Would killing the power to a certain wire shut down the engine? Which one?

If anybody sees any other flaws in our plan, please let me know.
This post was last modified: 12-29-2016, 02:41 PM by buzzboy.
buzzboy
12-29-2016, 02:31 PM #1

I'm on the team Idle Clatter Racing. We're the idiots who campaign this lovely w116.120 in The 24 Hours of Lemons
We want to go faster. This girl has about 10 races on her and we're finally good enough drivers that speed is limiting us. We sit about 3500lbs race weight and have a bone stock engine. We've been discussing potential engine swaps into Planet Express and no matter what we do we're looking in the three digit price range. The thing is, we can get a w210 for the same price and at that point do we want to deal with the swap or start pre-swapped and with a more modern, lighter chassis that can fit bigger wheels/tires. The choice was easy. So we're talking about doing a w210 e300 Turbodiesel racecar. I know nothing about the om606 having spent the last 3.5 years working on an om617 and putting all my effort into it. 

Will we have any trouble running the car stock? We'd talked about doing a mech pump for simplicity but unless we go custom we'd be down on power, yes?

Are the stock transmissions in these strong like the one in our w116? I would assume it's got a big factory trans cooler like our w116 and if it didn't we'd be adding one before racing.

How would the kill switch work? It was easy on the mech pump, using a normally open solenoid. Would killing the power to a certain wire shut down the engine? Which one?

If anybody sees any other flaws in our plan, please let me know.

barrote
Superturbo

12-29-2016, 04:04 PM #2
gwd wire!!!

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
12-29-2016, 04:04 PM #2

gwd wire!!!

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

buzzboy
K26-2

12-30-2016, 08:42 AM #3
I have no idea what that means, especially without context
buzzboy
12-30-2016, 08:42 AM #3

I have no idea what that means, especially without context

Petar
7.5mm M pump

12-30-2016, 09:36 AM #4
He probably meant ground wire. Cutting power to the ECU will shut off the engine. In my opinion a W210 will be a better racecar than a W116, the handling is much better. It is also more aerodynamic. You can use the electronic pump and tune it for more power. Also you must use the electronic pump if you want the stock transmission controler to work. If you mechanical you'll need a standalone trans controller ($$$)
Petar
12-30-2016, 09:36 AM #4

He probably meant ground wire. Cutting power to the ECU will shut off the engine. In my opinion a W210 will be a better racecar than a W116, the handling is much better. It is also more aerodynamic. You can use the electronic pump and tune it for more power. Also you must use the electronic pump if you want the stock transmission controler to work. If you mechanical you'll need a standalone trans controller ($$$)

seanyt
is300d He351ve

12-30-2016, 12:42 PM #5
if you cut the signal from the crank sensor the engine will shut off or cut power to ecu it will shut off.
i make standalone ecus all the time using the stock ecu and a custom map so its very possible and easily done.

these engine are easy to swap and have running with minimal sensors needed also.
seanyt
12-30-2016, 12:42 PM #5

if you cut the signal from the crank sensor the engine will shut off or cut power to ecu it will shut off.
i make standalone ecus all the time using the stock ecu and a custom map so its very possible and easily done.

these engine are easy to swap and have running with minimal sensors needed also.

barrote
Superturbo

12-30-2016, 02:29 PM #6
GWD wire , the brown wire Wink is also comonly refered as earth wire .... without it the pump electroactuator comes to of position right away , that what u want "The kill switch "
happy new year.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
12-30-2016, 02:29 PM #6

GWD wire , the brown wire Wink is also comonly refered as earth wire .... without it the pump electroactuator comes to of position right away , that what u want "The kill switch "
happy new year.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

seanyt
is300d He351ve

12-30-2016, 02:42 PM #7
i would suggest cutting power to pin 47 if i was to be specific there is a diagram on another post, this is the power wire the ignition triggers from the switch, the others powers are triggered from relays and these can also be disconnected
shutting off everything.
The Brown wire is shared with all the other ecu items some being solenoids, i would not suggest just disconnecting this each time to shut off, the fuel pump itself is also a solenoid so even though there are circuits to limit back emf removing ground will not help this
and may damage the ecu internally.
seanyt
12-30-2016, 02:42 PM #7

i would suggest cutting power to pin 47 if i was to be specific there is a diagram on another post, this is the power wire the ignition triggers from the switch, the others powers are triggered from relays and these can also be disconnected
shutting off everything.
The Brown wire is shared with all the other ecu items some being solenoids, i would not suggest just disconnecting this each time to shut off, the fuel pump itself is also a solenoid so even though there are circuits to limit back emf removing ground will not help this
and may damage the ecu internally.

barrote
Superturbo

12-30-2016, 04:26 PM #8
The fella want´s to install a "kill switch" same as "dead man switch".

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
12-30-2016, 04:26 PM #8

The fella want´s to install a "kill switch" same as "dead man switch".

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

seanyt
is300d He351ve

12-30-2016, 04:42 PM #9
there are 3 +12v wires to the ecu, im suggesting using pin 47 as your kill switch.
I understand what he wants, but my recommendation is not to use GND or brown wires to shutdown the engine as it will damage the ecu, for reasons i have explained.

Or you can kill all +12v from the battery as this is how its usually done, dont use gnd wires to cut power.
seanyt
12-30-2016, 04:42 PM #9

there are 3 +12v wires to the ecu, im suggesting using pin 47 as your kill switch.
I understand what he wants, but my recommendation is not to use GND or brown wires to shutdown the engine as it will damage the ecu, for reasons i have explained.

Or you can kill all +12v from the battery as this is how its usually done, dont use gnd wires to cut power.

barrote
Superturbo

12-30-2016, 04:54 PM #10
mr seanit ,
what kind of damage can happen if u cut gwd to the rack solenoid? maybe u right but i can´t see which damage can happen !!!
besides maybe one have to reinitiate the system to start again... apart from that i can´t see where is the problem.
as u said there are many ways to conect the kill switch , but cutting power to the control system wont go throug the racing inspection...
if i understood right ...

BTW , hws is the min voltage issue?

regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
12-30-2016, 04:54 PM #10

mr seanit ,
what kind of damage can happen if u cut gwd to the rack solenoid? maybe u right but i can´t see which damage can happen !!!
besides maybe one have to reinitiate the system to start again... apart from that i can´t see where is the problem.
as u said there are many ways to conect the kill switch , but cutting power to the control system wont go throug the racing inspection...
if i understood right ...

BTW , hws is the min voltage issue?

regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

seanyt
is300d He351ve

12-30-2016, 05:08 PM #11
my point is when a solenoid is energised and you cut the power usually a diode limits emf back to the ecu as the solenoid moves back to its original position it creates voltage and not 12 or 30v like a spike of 100v, if you remove the gnd wire while solenoids de-energise you only allow this spike to reverse back through all the circuits circuits .

If you cut the power from the battery +v like usually done, the spike in voltage travels back through gnd to the battery and the battery can handle this momentary spike where smd electronics are susceptible to these. So for the sack of saving any of the electronic systems being used from the w210 put the kill switch between the battery +v.

Rack voltage tests will be pursued after the new year when i have time to test it out, i cant imagine it will gain 4-5mm but maybe an extra 1-2mm if it works.
seanyt
12-30-2016, 05:08 PM #11

my point is when a solenoid is energised and you cut the power usually a diode limits emf back to the ecu as the solenoid moves back to its original position it creates voltage and not 12 or 30v like a spike of 100v, if you remove the gnd wire while solenoids de-energise you only allow this spike to reverse back through all the circuits circuits .

If you cut the power from the battery +v like usually done, the spike in voltage travels back through gnd to the battery and the battery can handle this momentary spike where smd electronics are susceptible to these. So for the sack of saving any of the electronic systems being used from the w210 put the kill switch between the battery +v.

Rack voltage tests will be pursued after the new year when i have time to test it out, i cant imagine it will gain 4-5mm but maybe an extra 1-2mm if it works.

barrote
Superturbo

12-30-2016, 05:14 PM #12
white flag brother...

FD,