STD Tuning Drivetrain New TCU coming out.

New TCU coming out.

New TCU coming out.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

whipplem104
Holset

05-22-2016, 11:33 AM #1
Just wanted to update that the newest generation tcu is coming out from PCS. I have been using them for almost a year. Testing and tuning. 
This next system is going to be a bit more complicated tuning wise but the outcome is really good. We have a torque based system now. So based on a torque map we target shift time and then from torque and desired shift time we target pressures. The result is a really solid multistage pressure strategy for each shift. We also have completely separate upshift and downshift tuning. There is also inertia tuning. And much more. 
For the more standard setups the tunes I am developing are working very well with minor adjustments from car to car. But in the more extreme cases of transmission setup and power curves it will require a pretty custom setup. 
I am planning on having base tunes with very limited access to the tuning for certain applications and then various levels for different price structures and support.
whipplem104
05-22-2016, 11:33 AM #1

Just wanted to update that the newest generation tcu is coming out from PCS. I have been using them for almost a year. Testing and tuning. 
This next system is going to be a bit more complicated tuning wise but the outcome is really good. We have a torque based system now. So based on a torque map we target shift time and then from torque and desired shift time we target pressures. The result is a really solid multistage pressure strategy for each shift. We also have completely separate upshift and downshift tuning. There is also inertia tuning. And much more. 
For the more standard setups the tunes I am developing are working very well with minor adjustments from car to car. But in the more extreme cases of transmission setup and power curves it will require a pretty custom setup. 
I am planning on having base tunes with very limited access to the tuning for certain applications and then various levels for different price structures and support.

whipplem104
Holset

11-30-2016, 12:00 PM #2
So great results with the TCM-2800 for the 722.6. I have about 10 in the field and support has been pretty straight forward. I am really happy with it and the tuning is just fantastic. Just an fyi to those out there that it is available and the same price structure as the tcm-2000 was. Just a whole lot better.
whipplem104
11-30-2016, 12:00 PM #2

So great results with the TCM-2800 for the 722.6. I have about 10 in the field and support has been pretty straight forward. I am really happy with it and the tuning is just fantastic. Just an fyi to those out there that it is available and the same price structure as the tcm-2000 was. Just a whole lot better.

JoeB
TA 0301

02-12-2017, 05:01 AM #3
(11-30-2016, 12:00 PM)whipplem104 So great results with the TCM-2800 for the 722.6. I have about 10 in the field and support has been pretty straight forward. I am really happy with it and the tuning is just fantastic. Just an fyi to those out there that it is available and the same price structure as the tcm-2000 was. Just a whole lot better.

Will this be able to hold a single gear or does it have a selectable mode (gear-lock) to prevent the transmission upshift (similar to 722.3 gelandewagen low gears) ? I ask this strictly out of a useability perspective for a 4x4 / 6x6 in lowrange or with lower underdriven transfer case gears (where descents requiring extreme engine braking without brake pedal application in non-traction control vehicles is concerned) The idea is the same as holding gear in a manual trans and using engine braking.

TIA.
JoeB
02-12-2017, 05:01 AM #3

(11-30-2016, 12:00 PM)whipplem104 So great results with the TCM-2800 for the 722.6. I have about 10 in the field and support has been pretty straight forward. I am really happy with it and the tuning is just fantastic. Just an fyi to those out there that it is available and the same price structure as the tcm-2000 was. Just a whole lot better.

Will this be able to hold a single gear or does it have a selectable mode (gear-lock) to prevent the transmission upshift (similar to 722.3 gelandewagen low gears) ? I ask this strictly out of a useability perspective for a 4x4 / 6x6 in lowrange or with lower underdriven transfer case gears (where descents requiring extreme engine braking without brake pedal application in non-traction control vehicles is concerned) The idea is the same as holding gear in a manual trans and using engine braking.

TIA.

whipplem104
Holset

02-13-2017, 09:35 AM #4
We have manual mode so you can select whatever gear you want. It has programmable automatic shift points as well for manual mode. So you can set up high and low shift points to override or set them to hold no matter what. You can also on the fly select another calibration so if you wanted to have a shift table just for hill decent you could have that. THere is also a skew input for shifts so if you wanted you could do it this way.
whipplem104
02-13-2017, 09:35 AM #4

We have manual mode so you can select whatever gear you want. It has programmable automatic shift points as well for manual mode. So you can set up high and low shift points to override or set them to hold no matter what. You can also on the fly select another calibration so if you wanted to have a shift table just for hill decent you could have that. THere is also a skew input for shifts so if you wanted you could do it this way.

the D
K26-2

02-13-2017, 11:36 AM #5

Do you have any clients, or know of anyone, that are using the TCM-2800 to control a 722.9? Even cooler; do you know of anyone who has adapted the TCM-2800 to work with the 722.9 MCT, or if that's possible yet?
the D
02-13-2017, 11:36 AM #5

Do you have any clients, or know of anyone, that are using the TCM-2800 to control a 722.9? Even cooler; do you know of anyone who has adapted the TCM-2800 to work with the 722.9 MCT, or if that's possible yet?

whipplem104
Holset

02-13-2017, 02:22 PM #6
No the 722.9 is a 7 speed and we do not have that capability. Also it is a mechatronic transmission. The tcu is integrated into the transmission. So it would require a new printed circtuit board and connector to replace the factory tcu. Normally as with the GM 6l-- transmissions we use a tcu to transmit the required data to the factory tcu so it works but you need tuning access to that tcu to adjust shift points etc.
But we are not controlling the transmission the original tcu is. We are just supplying a tq model of the engine TPS, etc.
Honestly it is never going to happen. THere is Drive authorization to contend with the fact you cannot buy replacement tcus and the cost and demand. With MCT you would have to have a perfect ecu match with tq, vehicle weight ratio or be able to tune for it.
If you want more gears than 5 then there are better options. But honestly I would not waste the time. Use what bolts to your engine and can easily be controlled.
whipplem104
02-13-2017, 02:22 PM #6

No the 722.9 is a 7 speed and we do not have that capability. Also it is a mechatronic transmission. The tcu is integrated into the transmission. So it would require a new printed circtuit board and connector to replace the factory tcu. Normally as with the GM 6l-- transmissions we use a tcu to transmit the required data to the factory tcu so it works but you need tuning access to that tcu to adjust shift points etc.
But we are not controlling the transmission the original tcu is. We are just supplying a tq model of the engine TPS, etc.
Honestly it is never going to happen. THere is Drive authorization to contend with the fact you cannot buy replacement tcus and the cost and demand. With MCT you would have to have a perfect ecu match with tq, vehicle weight ratio or be able to tune for it.
If you want more gears than 5 then there are better options. But honestly I would not waste the time. Use what bolts to your engine and can easily be controlled.

the D
K26-2

02-17-2017, 09:46 AM #7
Whipple, you're crushing my dreams
the D
02-17-2017, 09:46 AM #7

Whipple, you're crushing my dreams

whipplem104
Holset

02-17-2017, 05:24 PM #8
Really it is nothing to dream about. It really is not a upgrade in anything other than cost. The only real benefits are fuel economy and on low tq engines or narrow power band engines. Just cause it is newer and has more gears does not make it better. 1st gear is all but useless unless you have no power or a really low rear end ratio. When the slk55 came out with it in it from the 722.6 the year before. I was test driving one and it could not shift from 1st to 2nd fast enough. It was like granny low almost. Fine if you were daily driving for fuel efficiency but almost needed to lock out 1st to launch the car. That was with 360-380 hp n/a engine with probably what 2.80 gears or lower.
You start making any real power and there simply is not enough time to target and start and complete a shift in the time it takes to run the rpms up and you just bounce off the limiter. We have this problem with the 722.6 as well with high power and high ratio rear ends and high stall converters. You have to do the math on it all to make it work correctly.
whipplem104
02-17-2017, 05:24 PM #8

Really it is nothing to dream about. It really is not a upgrade in anything other than cost. The only real benefits are fuel economy and on low tq engines or narrow power band engines. Just cause it is newer and has more gears does not make it better. 1st gear is all but useless unless you have no power or a really low rear end ratio. When the slk55 came out with it in it from the 722.6 the year before. I was test driving one and it could not shift from 1st to 2nd fast enough. It was like granny low almost. Fine if you were daily driving for fuel efficiency but almost needed to lock out 1st to launch the car. That was with 360-380 hp n/a engine with probably what 2.80 gears or lower.
You start making any real power and there simply is not enough time to target and start and complete a shift in the time it takes to run the rpms up and you just bounce off the limiter. We have this problem with the 722.6 as well with high power and high ratio rear ends and high stall converters. You have to do the math on it all to make it work correctly.

the D
K26-2

02-17-2017, 08:00 PM #9
Yeah, I know a bunch of gears with a high torque engine isn't ideal but it would be pretty sweet, especially to have the wet clutch setup.

Is the tcm setup capable of replicating or bettering the performance of Speedshift R from the SLR?
the D
02-17-2017, 08:00 PM #9

Yeah, I know a bunch of gears with a high torque engine isn't ideal but it would be pretty sweet, especially to have the wet clutch setup.

Is the tcm setup capable of replicating or bettering the performance of Speedshift R from the SLR?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average