STD Tuning Engine Calling all experts

Calling all experts

Calling all experts

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mantahead
Holset

09-08-2016, 04:23 PM #1
hi,

i have a problem where the car splutters under load and puts out light grey smoke, it is far more noticeable when i run the turbo and supercharger together.
once the rear wheels break traction, she clears herself and is as sweet as a nut.

pump timing is correct, egts are normal, this is the second engine that has done this with the same setup, so that should rule out injectors.

All thoughts welcome.

here is a video that shows it at the start and then again at 58 seconds

https://youtu.be/FFIfP5Y68z0
This post was last modified: 09-08-2016, 04:39 PM by mantahead.
mantahead
09-08-2016, 04:23 PM #1

hi,

i have a problem where the car splutters under load and puts out light grey smoke, it is far more noticeable when i run the turbo and supercharger together.
once the rear wheels break traction, she clears herself and is as sweet as a nut.

pump timing is correct, egts are normal, this is the second engine that has done this with the same setup, so that should rule out injectors.

All thoughts welcome.

here is a video that shows it at the start and then again at 58 seconds

https://youtu.be/FFIfP5Y68z0

hooblah
Holset

09-08-2016, 04:53 PM #2
Main pulley hasn't sheared the key and spun has it?
hooblah
09-08-2016, 04:53 PM #2

Main pulley hasn't sheared the key and spun has it?

mantahead
Holset

09-08-2016, 05:02 PM #3
hi,
crank pulley?
i have extra key in it and on first engine as well.
mantahead
09-08-2016, 05:02 PM #3

hi,
crank pulley?
i have extra key in it and on first engine as well.

R-3350
Dreaming of compounds

09-08-2016, 08:23 PM #4
the two things that come to mind are valve sealing and pre-chambers.
i hear what your talking about not quite sure exactly what it could be it sounds familiar though. i have had some aviation engines apart that had similar things at part load. turned out to be poor sealing on the exhaust valves from carbon buildup maybe when you have some maintenance time try a leak down test. another idea might be to look at your pre-chambers i have heard of various strange symptoms from them. if you do a leak down test and its leaking from the valves try staking them. you might have carbon build up between the seat and valve. the easiest way to get rid of it without pulling the engine apart is to feed compressed air into the cylinder like your doing a leak down test then with the valve cover off smack the valve rockers with a rubber mallet near the valve stem. or in an ohc engine use a stiff wooden dowel to hit the buckets. it makes a dramatic noise but its great at cleaning the seats and valves. its what we do in aviation to clean problematic cylinders so we don't have to overhaul an engine ( a full overhaul on large engines can run over 15000$)
R-3350
09-08-2016, 08:23 PM #4

the two things that come to mind are valve sealing and pre-chambers.
i hear what your talking about not quite sure exactly what it could be it sounds familiar though. i have had some aviation engines apart that had similar things at part load. turned out to be poor sealing on the exhaust valves from carbon buildup maybe when you have some maintenance time try a leak down test. another idea might be to look at your pre-chambers i have heard of various strange symptoms from them. if you do a leak down test and its leaking from the valves try staking them. you might have carbon build up between the seat and valve. the easiest way to get rid of it without pulling the engine apart is to feed compressed air into the cylinder like your doing a leak down test then with the valve cover off smack the valve rockers with a rubber mallet near the valve stem. or in an ohc engine use a stiff wooden dowel to hit the buckets. it makes a dramatic noise but its great at cleaning the seats and valves. its what we do in aviation to clean problematic cylinders so we don't have to overhaul an engine ( a full overhaul on large engines can run over 15000$)

TurboTim
Holset

09-08-2016, 09:52 PM #5
Could the turbo be stalling out from trying to do too high of a pressure ratio at too low of air flow. I could see this happening because you have a supercharger and it's actually possible to boost at low rpm. Can you underdrive the supercharger and see if it goes away?

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com
TurboTim
09-08-2016, 09:52 PM #5

Could the turbo be stalling out from trying to do too high of a pressure ratio at too low of air flow. I could see this happening because you have a supercharger and it's actually possible to boost at low rpm. Can you underdrive the supercharger and see if it goes away?

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com

mantahead
Holset

09-09-2016, 02:51 AM #6
hi,

aha, i wan't to put the question out before i commented, we are thinking the same thing,

my theory is that the shear amount of volume of air at low rpm has no where to go and can't get past the turbo wheel, and then that dirty air is getting back past the exhaust valves and into the cylinder, there is then no oxygen to burn the fuel.
the two wastegates on the exhaust manifold are set at 2.1 bar.
i fitted another wastegate on the supercharger set at 1 bar inlet manifold pressure.
these engines are known to have weak springs.

i have changed the supercharger drive ratio from 2.66 to 1.77 over crank,
i still have the same problem.
when the wheels are spinning she is clear, when the tyres are gripping the road she is not.

Also engine is still overheating.
This post was last modified: 09-09-2016, 02:53 AM by mantahead.
mantahead
09-09-2016, 02:51 AM #6

hi,

aha, i wan't to put the question out before i commented, we are thinking the same thing,

my theory is that the shear amount of volume of air at low rpm has no where to go and can't get past the turbo wheel, and then that dirty air is getting back past the exhaust valves and into the cylinder, there is then no oxygen to burn the fuel.
the two wastegates on the exhaust manifold are set at 2.1 bar.
i fitted another wastegate on the supercharger set at 1 bar inlet manifold pressure.
these engines are known to have weak springs.

i have changed the supercharger drive ratio from 2.66 to 1.77 over crank,
i still have the same problem.
when the wheels are spinning she is clear, when the tyres are gripping the road she is not.

Also engine is still overheating.

F.R.A.S
Holset

09-09-2016, 03:02 AM #7
Sounds like a valve spring problem to me.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
09-09-2016, 03:02 AM #7

Sounds like a valve spring problem to me.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

barrote
Superturbo

09-09-2016, 08:08 AM #8
Well , my engine does the same, or did the same, folowing that , or at the same time don´t u have nailing sounds acopanied by random cylinder failures , like it was in 3 or 4 cylinder?
if thats the case easy "springs" week springs . or said in other way too high EGP , the valve lifters compensate for a small opening and the engines cylinders leak, causing low compression temp/press , folowed by grey white smoke.
Since u have that Compressor screaming around probably u can´t hear the nailing.

FD,