STD Tuning Engine Do I OM629? - (can I use a standalone controller (dsl1?)) and other options...

Do I OM629? - (can I use a standalone controller (dsl1?)) and other options...

Do I OM629? - (can I use a standalone controller (dsl1?)) and other options...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

JoeB
TA 0301

08-05-2016, 09:48 PM #1
Well project RRC is being tossed around and I'm now in a position where I really have to bite the bullet.

It's like this:

Either I put the m117.968 ece  and 722.313  in, and live with the limitations of a petrol 4x4, OR

I get cracking on sourcing a 605a/606a / 722.6  or an OM612 / 642 / 647/ 648 / 629 etc.

People keep telling me about the unreliable CDI engines, and noone has proof to back it up.

There are a lot of these things around overseas, and only really the OM606a is the one that is 'talked' about here locally, and to an extent on most forums.

I wonder why people discount the 603? is it simply because it is single cam? or are those cracked head issues really such a common occurrence?

I'd love to replace the POS buick 215ci / Rover 3.9L alloy V8 in my RRC, along with the ZF 4HP22 and the BW transfer case, with something more familiar (i.e. mercedes) and reliable (i.e. mercedes) and stronger (i.e. mercedes) and a V8 sound, so....

Has anyone here actually got real world experience with the OM629? Surely it has to be a torque monster...

There are other reasons...

1. fuel economy
2. Torque
3. boost (noise)
4. reliability (?)
5. longevity - i.e. simple routine maintenance doesn't require frequent additional mechanical parts, unlike the Rover engines.

Sure a 605 or 606 with a good boost setup would be adequate.  availability of a 605 or 606 in australia is like needle in the haystack.

I could get an om612 out of an ML real easy. People keep telling me that the CDI is problematic on these engines, and black death is high, the block is weak etc etc etc ad infinitum.

I don't know who or what to actually believe.

So with all this hanging in the air, why not just get the OM629 if I have to ship somethign from OS, why not just go for the big MFer?

I mean, I have the m117 here and a twinscrew. it's here, it could cost nothing for the mechanical chunk - BUT, it's petrol. Offroading in Oz is pretty much a diesel-only segment. Huge distances to cover, fuel availability is scarce, high cost in remote locations, and especially in the remote areas, petrol is not-existent due to some BS govt regulation to keep it away from indigenous population (chroming). 

So the petrol issue is against me.  

Space-wise, the v6 or v8 cdi makes sense.  the 605 would be almost the same as the rover's 300tdi or the td5 engine.  a 606 would make me happy, as I'm an M104 dohc lover as well.

So looking for experienced opinion on the CDi engines from the Euro guys, who obviously have greater access to this stuff, than we do here.

any advice appreciated - TIA.
This post was last modified: 08-06-2016, 02:18 AM by JoeB.
JoeB
08-05-2016, 09:48 PM #1

Well project RRC is being tossed around and I'm now in a position where I really have to bite the bullet.

It's like this:

Either I put the m117.968 ece  and 722.313  in, and live with the limitations of a petrol 4x4, OR

I get cracking on sourcing a 605a/606a / 722.6  or an OM612 / 642 / 647/ 648 / 629 etc.

People keep telling me about the unreliable CDI engines, and noone has proof to back it up.

There are a lot of these things around overseas, and only really the OM606a is the one that is 'talked' about here locally, and to an extent on most forums.

I wonder why people discount the 603? is it simply because it is single cam? or are those cracked head issues really such a common occurrence?

I'd love to replace the POS buick 215ci / Rover 3.9L alloy V8 in my RRC, along with the ZF 4HP22 and the BW transfer case, with something more familiar (i.e. mercedes) and reliable (i.e. mercedes) and stronger (i.e. mercedes) and a V8 sound, so....

Has anyone here actually got real world experience with the OM629? Surely it has to be a torque monster...

There are other reasons...

1. fuel economy
2. Torque
3. boost (noise)
4. reliability (?)
5. longevity - i.e. simple routine maintenance doesn't require frequent additional mechanical parts, unlike the Rover engines.

Sure a 605 or 606 with a good boost setup would be adequate.  availability of a 605 or 606 in australia is like needle in the haystack.

I could get an om612 out of an ML real easy. People keep telling me that the CDI is problematic on these engines, and black death is high, the block is weak etc etc etc ad infinitum.

I don't know who or what to actually believe.

So with all this hanging in the air, why not just get the OM629 if I have to ship somethign from OS, why not just go for the big MFer?

I mean, I have the m117 here and a twinscrew. it's here, it could cost nothing for the mechanical chunk - BUT, it's petrol. Offroading in Oz is pretty much a diesel-only segment. Huge distances to cover, fuel availability is scarce, high cost in remote locations, and especially in the remote areas, petrol is not-existent due to some BS govt regulation to keep it away from indigenous population (chroming). 

So the petrol issue is against me.  

Space-wise, the v6 or v8 cdi makes sense.  the 605 would be almost the same as the rover's 300tdi or the td5 engine.  a 606 would make me happy, as I'm an M104 dohc lover as well.

So looking for experienced opinion on the CDi engines from the Euro guys, who obviously have greater access to this stuff, than we do here.

any advice appreciated - TIA.

starynovy
Holset

08-06-2016, 05:31 AM #2
Well you can not control common-rail diesel with simple stuff like DSL-1 controller or whatever that is, it just puts out voltage to drive pumps rack, nothing to precisely drive CR injectors. On this matter there is thread under yours, standalone CR controllers starts at some 2500€++. Regarding reliablity of CDI engines, well black some have OM648 in their car.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex: 525tds 130kW, C250TD 160kW, E320CDI 200kW, ML400CDI 230kW, A6 R5TDI 130kW
Now: Q7 V8TDI 240kW, 320d 150kW, 335d 210kW
starynovy
08-06-2016, 05:31 AM #2

Well you can not control common-rail diesel with simple stuff like DSL-1 controller or whatever that is, it just puts out voltage to drive pumps rack, nothing to precisely drive CR injectors. On this matter there is thread under yours, standalone CR controllers starts at some 2500€++. Regarding reliablity of CDI engines, well black some have OM648 in their car.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex: 525tds 130kW, C250TD 160kW, E320CDI 200kW, ML400CDI 230kW, A6 R5TDI 130kW
Now: Q7 V8TDI 240kW, 320d 150kW, 335d 210kW

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average