STD Tuning Drivetrain SRT8 torque converter

SRT8 torque converter

SRT8 torque converter

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

07-07-2016, 07:06 AM #1
Does anyone know if there would be any benefit to using an SRT8 (425hp\420lbft) converter in a stock '98 E300TD?

Would the clutches in the diesel auto box be overworked?
CRD4x4
07-07-2016, 07:06 AM #1

Does anyone know if there would be any benefit to using an SRT8 (425hp\420lbft) converter in a stock '98 E300TD?

Would the clutches in the diesel auto box be overworked?

whipplem104
Holset

07-07-2016, 10:46 AM #2
wont fit and that is not how torque converters work.
Converters have relatively the same torque ratio based on slip. What changes is the stall or amount of slip from converter to converter. This is also a function of engine power, resistance, etc. The only thing that putting a different converter in will change would be your stall speed. A large increase in stall will bring you up into a power band in the engine that will of course be transfered to the the transmission. So say at a stop light and you power brake your car. Your engine with a 1500 rpm stall converter is spinning at 1500 rpm. It produces lets say 100lb/ft of tq. You are making around 200lb/ft of torque into the transmission. Now increase your stall to 3000 rpm. And your engine can make 200lb/ft of torque. You are now making 400lb/ft into the transmission. This effect goes away very quickly as you start to move. And you near a 1:1 ration of input and output torque.
whipplem104
07-07-2016, 10:46 AM #2

wont fit and that is not how torque converters work.
Converters have relatively the same torque ratio based on slip. What changes is the stall or amount of slip from converter to converter. This is also a function of engine power, resistance, etc. The only thing that putting a different converter in will change would be your stall speed. A large increase in stall will bring you up into a power band in the engine that will of course be transfered to the the transmission. So say at a stop light and you power brake your car. Your engine with a 1500 rpm stall converter is spinning at 1500 rpm. It produces lets say 100lb/ft of tq. You are making around 200lb/ft of torque into the transmission. Now increase your stall to 3000 rpm. And your engine can make 200lb/ft of torque. You are now making 400lb/ft into the transmission. This effect goes away very quickly as you start to move. And you near a 1:1 ration of input and output torque.

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

07-08-2016, 07:10 AM #3
(07-07-2016, 10:46 AM)whipplem104 wont fit and that is not how torque converters work.

Ok, so it won't fit and it may cause excess stress on the transmission? That's what I was asking.

How doesn't it fit? It's from the same type of transmission so its not physically too big. It uses 8 bolt flex plate like OM60x so they may interchange. 

Its used in a higher power app so it reasons that it'd be stronger. I've read the stall speed is around 1600-1800 rpm for the SRT8 Charger, so what am I missing?

Please school me.
CRD4x4
07-08-2016, 07:10 AM #3

(07-07-2016, 10:46 AM)whipplem104 wont fit and that is not how torque converters work.

Ok, so it won't fit and it may cause excess stress on the transmission? That's what I was asking.

How doesn't it fit? It's from the same type of transmission so its not physically too big. It uses 8 bolt flex plate like OM60x so they may interchange. 

Its used in a higher power app so it reasons that it'd be stronger. I've read the stall speed is around 1600-1800 rpm for the SRT8 Charger, so what am I missing?

Please school me.

whipplem104
Holset

07-08-2016, 08:06 AM #4
They are larger diameter and different bolt circle diameter.
Also pretty much all converters in mercedes are somewhere around 1500-2100 rpm stall speed. And again stall is a result of engine power as well so if you put a lower power engine in front of the same converter it will stall at a lower rpm.
whipplem104
07-08-2016, 08:06 AM #4

They are larger diameter and different bolt circle diameter.
Also pretty much all converters in mercedes are somewhere around 1500-2100 rpm stall speed. And again stall is a result of engine power as well so if you put a lower power engine in front of the same converter it will stall at a lower rpm.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average