STD Tuning Suspension Shock recommendations

Shock recommendations

Shock recommendations

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CID Vicious
Unregistered

09-30-2009, 01:55 AM #1
So far I've identified three strata of shock replacements:

25 a corner Gabriel dual tube shocks. Nothing fancy (or even very good I'm imagining) but for the cost of one corner of the high end, there's at least functioning shock absorbers at each corner (what a concept).

45 a corner KYB Gas-A-Justs. Monotube, not bad, little less than half the cost of premium.

100 a corner Bilsteins. Of course, what I'd like to immediately go for, but money is tight and will continue to be for awhile.

I've heard a few people (maybe at Benzworld) that Bilsteins were really the only way to go, but I don't recall why. I mean money no object, sure, but is there a good reason that KYBs wouldn't work? Or even the Gabriels, considering I'm essentially shock-less at the moment?

Over LA's many sections of broken and rippled pavement, I've had this weird shift to the right in the rear end when I'm on the throttle. I didn't know what to make of it before but now I have fresh axles and it's still doing it, not as badly but it's still there. I think it's essentially the unchecked rear arm swinging far enough that the right rear tire is losing contact and then regaining it suddenly. New shocks, even budget ones, should improve this and handling in general. I just want to make sure I'm not throwing money away. Is there a good alternative to the Bilsteins?
CID Vicious
09-30-2009, 01:55 AM #1

So far I've identified three strata of shock replacements:

25 a corner Gabriel dual tube shocks. Nothing fancy (or even very good I'm imagining) but for the cost of one corner of the high end, there's at least functioning shock absorbers at each corner (what a concept).

45 a corner KYB Gas-A-Justs. Monotube, not bad, little less than half the cost of premium.

100 a corner Bilsteins. Of course, what I'd like to immediately go for, but money is tight and will continue to be for awhile.

I've heard a few people (maybe at Benzworld) that Bilsteins were really the only way to go, but I don't recall why. I mean money no object, sure, but is there a good reason that KYBs wouldn't work? Or even the Gabriels, considering I'm essentially shock-less at the moment?

Over LA's many sections of broken and rippled pavement, I've had this weird shift to the right in the rear end when I'm on the throttle. I didn't know what to make of it before but now I have fresh axles and it's still doing it, not as badly but it's still there. I think it's essentially the unchecked rear arm swinging far enough that the right rear tire is losing contact and then regaining it suddenly. New shocks, even budget ones, should improve this and handling in general. I just want to make sure I'm not throwing money away. Is there a good alternative to the Bilsteins?

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-30-2009, 02:42 AM #2
KYB= Keep Your Bilsteins

KYB and Gabriel are good to put on cars you're getting ready to sell. If you plan on keeping the car for any reasonable length of time, wait, save and invest in Bilsteins.
ForcedInduction
09-30-2009, 02:42 AM #2

KYB= Keep Your Bilsteins

KYB and Gabriel are good to put on cars you're getting ready to sell. If you plan on keeping the car for any reasonable length of time, wait, save and invest in Bilsteins.

CID Vicious
Unregistered

09-30-2009, 03:32 AM #3
I did some froogling and I found that I could get a set of four bilsteins for about 220, which is more reasonable than the 400 I'd pay through Vato Zone. KYBs are only slightly cheaper, so the Bilsteins indeed do seem to be the way to go.
CID Vicious
09-30-2009, 03:32 AM #3

I did some froogling and I found that I could get a set of four bilsteins for about 220, which is more reasonable than the 400 I'd pay through Vato Zone. KYBs are only slightly cheaper, so the Bilsteins indeed do seem to be the way to go.

winmutt
bitbanger

09-30-2009, 02:01 PM #4
LOL Vato zone.

There are other options as well. Spaxx.... for the $$$$ and win.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
09-30-2009, 02:01 PM #4

LOL Vato zone.

There are other options as well. Spaxx.... for the $$$$ and win.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

09-30-2009, 06:36 PM #5
I got 4 Bilsteins HD off of eBay with a searing stabilizer and shipping for $275 for my w123

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
09-30-2009, 06:36 PM #5

I got 4 Bilsteins HD off of eBay with a searing stabilizer and shipping for $275 for my w123

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average