STD Tuning Engine Best place for boost gauge?

Best place for boost gauge?

Best place for boost gauge?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LewisG95
K26-2

07-06-2016, 01:42 PM #1
Hi everyone,

I am just wanting to know where the best place is to tee in for a boost gauge? 

I was thinking the wastegate actuator pipe but then again, I don't really want to screwing around with that.

Thanks
LewisG95
07-06-2016, 01:42 PM #1

Hi everyone,

I am just wanting to know where the best place is to tee in for a boost gauge? 

I was thinking the wastegate actuator pipe but then again, I don't really want to screwing around with that.

Thanks

BlueStreak
OM606 Superturbo

07-06-2016, 02:29 PM #2
That's fine, just place a T in the line, that's how my setup runs. I take it you are not using a boost T/electronic controller and just piping from inlet manifold to the wastegate? If you are using a method of boost control make sure your boost gauge is before the method of boost control, otherwise you will be measuring the "controlled" boost.

Hope this helps

99' E300TD S210, 8mm Dieselmenken Pump, EGR delete, WA580 722.6 Gearbox, standalone controller, paddle shift, AMG brakes front and back, Borg Warner S200 turbo, custom exhaust 
BlueStreak
07-06-2016, 02:29 PM #2

That's fine, just place a T in the line, that's how my setup runs. I take it you are not using a boost T/electronic controller and just piping from inlet manifold to the wastegate? If you are using a method of boost control make sure your boost gauge is before the method of boost control, otherwise you will be measuring the "controlled" boost.

Hope this helps

99' E300TD S210, 8mm Dieselmenken Pump, EGR delete, WA580 722.6 Gearbox, standalone controller, paddle shift, AMG brakes front and back, Borg Warner S200 turbo, custom exhaust 

LewisG95
K26-2

07-06-2016, 02:45 PM #3
Ahh okay then that's greatSmile

I'm not using any kind of boost controller yet. I could well be in the future though.

Just another quick question... I don't suppose you know the torque and power limit of the auto gearboxes do you?

Thanks for your help.
LewisG95
07-06-2016, 02:45 PM #3

Ahh okay then that's greatSmile

I'm not using any kind of boost controller yet. I could well be in the future though.

Just another quick question... I don't suppose you know the torque and power limit of the auto gearboxes do you?

Thanks for your help.

BlueStreak
OM606 Superturbo

07-06-2016, 03:31 PM #4
(07-06-2016, 02:45 PM)LewisG95 Ahh okay then that's greatSmile

Thanks for your help.

Hi

The standard gearbox is about 330NM, The AMG variant i.e. the WA580 (722.636) is 580NM and there is another 722.6 variant that goes up to about 1000NM as fitted in the porsche and McLaren. However, using a standalone controller allows you to up these values, this is providing the gearbox is in good condition to start with, this is achieved by increasing the line pressures etc. The best site to go on is www.ofgear.dk, the chaps name is Ole Fejer and he is the man to talk to.......

Of note, the W211 range of 320cdi boxes have the extra clutch packs. You may have to swap the bell housing over as I did on mine for it to fit.

BlueStreak
07-06-2016, 03:31 PM #4

(07-06-2016, 02:45 PM)LewisG95 Ahh okay then that's greatSmile

Thanks for your help.

Hi

The standard gearbox is about 330NM, The AMG variant i.e. the WA580 (722.636) is 580NM and there is another 722.6 variant that goes up to about 1000NM as fitted in the porsche and McLaren. However, using a standalone controller allows you to up these values, this is providing the gearbox is in good condition to start with, this is achieved by increasing the line pressures etc. The best site to go on is www.ofgear.dk, the chaps name is Ole Fejer and he is the man to talk to.......

Of note, the W211 range of 320cdi boxes have the extra clutch packs. You may have to swap the bell housing over as I did on mine for it to fit.

LewisG95
K26-2

07-06-2016, 04:35 PM #5
So I could get my standard 722.6 5 speed to allow upto 1000nm with this standalone controller? Or would there have to be modifications to the gearbox and torque converter too?

I'm not really familiar with auto gearboxes.

I've just had a quick look on the link you sent me though and those controllers with the paddle shift set up do look like a quality bit of kit.
LewisG95
07-06-2016, 04:35 PM #5

So I could get my standard 722.6 5 speed to allow upto 1000nm with this standalone controller? Or would there have to be modifications to the gearbox and torque converter too?

I've just had a quick look on the link you sent me though and those controllers with the paddle shift set up do look like a quality bit of kit.

BlueStreak
OM606 Superturbo

07-06-2016, 05:25 PM #6
(07-06-2016, 04:35 PM)LewisG95 So I could get my standard 722.6 5 speed to allow upto 1000nm with this standalone controller? Or would there have to be modifications to the gearbox and torque converter too?

Hi

No, there are three main types of 722.6 gearboxes. They all look the same from the outside, it's whats inside that is different. If you look on that website under the Gearbox Info tab you will see all the different model numbers and they all start with 722.6... The numbers after the .6 denote the the number of plates etc, the more plates and friction discs the box has the better. When my project was pushing out about 220 Whp it caused the standard gearbox to slip with the standard merc g/box controller. It was better with the controller from OF Gear, however, my target HP is around the 400whp 500+ Ft/lbs torque mark and at that the standard box is right on the limit. The 722.636 box cost me 350 GBP on ebay and was fine (I also done the flare mod). You can get a W211 320 Cdi box for less (they also have the extra clutch packs) It's a pain in the a*se when the box slips because you can't reliably put down the power and with the standard merc controller it can shut the ECU down into a type of safe mode so you have to slow down to 5mph before you get full control of it and drive normally again. It happened to me a few times.

What's your current setup, car, engine etc?

BlueStreak
07-06-2016, 05:25 PM #6

(07-06-2016, 04:35 PM)LewisG95 So I could get my standard 722.6 5 speed to allow upto 1000nm with this standalone controller? Or would there have to be modifications to the gearbox and torque converter too?

Hi

No, there are three main types of 722.6 gearboxes. They all look the same from the outside, it's whats inside that is different. If you look on that website under the Gearbox Info tab you will see all the different model numbers and they all start with 722.6... The numbers after the .6 denote the the number of plates etc, the more plates and friction discs the box has the better. When my project was pushing out about 220 Whp it caused the standard gearbox to slip with the standard merc g/box controller. It was better with the controller from OF Gear, however, my target HP is around the 400whp 500+ Ft/lbs torque mark and at that the standard box is right on the limit. The 722.636 box cost me 350 GBP on ebay and was fine (I also done the flare mod). You can get a W211 320 Cdi box for less (they also have the extra clutch packs) It's a pain in the a*se when the box slips because you can't reliably put down the power and with the standard merc controller it can shut the ECU down into a type of safe mode so you have to slow down to 5mph before you get full control of it and drive normally again. It happened to me a few times.

What's your current setup, car, engine etc?

LewisG95
K26-2

07-06-2016, 07:28 PM #7
Oh right I see.

Sounds a bit of a nightmare with the whole gearbox situation then. The upgrade route that you have taken does seem to pretty wise.

I'm currently only on the standard set up bar a slightly bigger (hx27 from a 3.9 Cummins) turbo and having the ecu chipped. From these two mods I am aiming to get over 200hp and hopefully a little bit more with nitrous. It's good to know the limits of everything before I start going crazy though.

I would love to get mine running that kind of power you're thinking at around 400+ but I do know it is a lot of work and expense and as I say, I just want to see how far I can go and what the limits are of the standard parts.

I suppose my next mods from here would be a different IP and gearbox when I want to go further...

This then leads into another question.. What is the going rate on dieselmeken pumps?

Thanks
LewisG95
07-06-2016, 07:28 PM #7

Oh right I see.

Sounds a bit of a nightmare with the whole gearbox situation then. The upgrade route that you have taken does seem to pretty wise.

I'm currently only on the standard set up bar a slightly bigger (hx27 from a 3.9 Cummins) turbo and having the ecu chipped. From these two mods I am aiming to get over 200hp and hopefully a little bit more with nitrous. It's good to know the limits of everything before I start going crazy though.

I would love to get mine running that kind of power you're thinking at around 400+ but I do know it is a lot of work and expense and as I say, I just want to see how far I can go and what the limits are of the standard parts.

I suppose my next mods from here would be a different IP and gearbox when I want to go further...

This then leads into another question.. What is the going rate on dieselmeken pumps?

Thanks

BlueStreak
OM606 Superturbo

07-07-2016, 06:26 AM #8
(07-06-2016, 07:28 PM)LewisG95 Oh right I see.

Thanks

Hi 

I think you can get 225hp (flywheel) with a stage 2 chip by speedtuning usa, where you have to send them your ECU. Other than that no more mods are needed and it includes EGR delete. I think it's about £350. 

Dieselmenken, has recently posted a video of a S210 with an electronic IP with bigger elements, although this requires fooling sensors etc to work, which is no great shakes and there will be people on here that can tell you how to do it as i'm sure he would as he wants to sell you the pump. Also this should mean reduced cost. The 8mm mechanical pumps are around £995 + core charge of £300 if you don't have an OM603 pump to send them. 

You are totally right it is expensive, time consuming and at times frustrating. If I did another car it would be much quicker and cheaper because you're not feeling your way in the dark and having to change direction when things don't work. Plus it's also a daily driver which adds complexity to the build profile, especially at the time when I started mine as there weren't many people who had tuned W210/S210s.

My mate has just gone out and bought at W211 AMG for about £8k with 550hp with just a simple supercharger pulley mod. The downsides....it only does about 14mpg! (although there is LPG?) The upsides are that the AMG has all the toys and from the line as well as most real world driving situations will dominate 90% of the vehicles on here, however, there is something quite satisfying about working on projects and the knowledge you gain from it. Plus if your running veg oil/biodiesel there are obvious benefits to a full on diesel setup.

BlueStreak
07-07-2016, 06:26 AM #8

Thanks

Hi 

I think you can get 225hp (flywheel) with a stage 2 chip by speedtuning usa, where you have to send them your ECU. Other than that no more mods are needed and it includes EGR delete. I think it's about £350. 

Dieselmenken, has recently posted a video of a S210 with an electronic IP with bigger elements, although this requires fooling sensors etc to work, which is no great shakes and there will be people on here that can tell you how to do it as i'm sure he would as he wants to sell you the pump. Also this should mean reduced cost. The 8mm mechanical pumps are around £995 + core charge of £300 if you don't have an OM603 pump to send them. 

You are totally right it is expensive, time consuming and at times frustrating. If I did another car it would be much quicker and cheaper because you're not feeling your way in the dark and having to change direction when things don't work. Plus it's also a daily driver which adds complexity to the build profile, especially at the time when I started mine as there weren't many people who had tuned W210/S210s.

My mate has just gone out and bought at W211 AMG for about £8k with 550hp with just a simple supercharger pulley mod. The downsides....it only does about 14mpg! (although there is LPG?) The upsides are that the AMG has all the toys and from the line as well as most real world driving situations will dominate 90% of the vehicles on here, however, there is something quite satisfying about working on projects and the knowledge you gain from it. Plus if your running veg oil/biodiesel there are obvious benefits to a full on diesel setup.

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

07-08-2016, 08:51 AM #9

Thanks

Mate which platform is this in?

if it's W202 or W210 or anything post late 90's (I guess so because you mention 722.6)the actuator is vacuum controlled so you will not measure boost there. You need to tee into the MAP sensor line..

just start with the stock 722.6 and when it starts to slip you can then upgrade or just get another one because there are millions and nobody wants them, I literally have 2 spare in my garage given to me for free..

You would want a 722.6 from a W210 E55 amg with more clutches ideally, it's in other models also..

if you go big element pump, a standalone ecu might be better than chipping your stock vehicle one, or go mechanical pump to keep it simple.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
07-08-2016, 08:51 AM #9

Thanks

Mate which platform is this in?

if it's W202 or W210 or anything post late 90's (I guess so because you mention 722.6)the actuator is vacuum controlled so you will not measure boost there. You need to tee into the MAP sensor line..

just start with the stock 722.6 and when it starts to slip you can then upgrade or just get another one because there are millions and nobody wants them, I literally have 2 spare in my garage given to me for free..

You would want a 722.6 from a W210 E55 amg with more clutches ideally, it's in other models also..

if you go big element pump, a standalone ecu might be better than chipping your stock vehicle one, or go mechanical pump to keep it simple.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

LewisG95
K26-2

07-12-2016, 10:41 AM #10
I've swapped it to a holset hx27 (baby turbo) and just waiting for the ecu to get back now. so I will be able to read boost from the outlet now and get rid of the little vacuum valve thingy now or so I've been told.

I don't know how far I'm wanting to go with it really.. I'm half tempted to go and buy a newish C220 after having a ride in a friends last night. It was so smooth with the torque and ridiculously quiet.

I will see soon though I guess.
LewisG95
07-12-2016, 10:41 AM #10

I've swapped it to a holset hx27 (baby turbo) and just waiting for the ecu to get back now. so I will be able to read boost from the outlet now and get rid of the little vacuum valve thingy now or so I've been told.

I don't know how far I'm wanting to go with it really.. I'm half tempted to go and buy a newish C220 after having a ride in a friends last night. It was so smooth with the torque and ridiculously quiet.

I will see soon though I guess.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average