STD Tuning Engine 603 offset in engine bay

603 offset in engine bay

603 offset in engine bay

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

martureo
GTA2056V

06-13-2016, 12:48 PM #1
I'm attempting to do a 603 in a 123 build. Right now I'm trying to get the engine to sit as I want it in the engine bay. I'm planning on using the w140/w124 mount arms and hydraulic style mounts.

The issue at the present is how to shift the engine to allow clearance and how much shift is advisable. 

As I've measured it the mount positions in the w123 are 20.5 inches apart, and the 603 engine mount arms are 18.5 inches apart. So I have 2 inches to play with side to side before I need to start fabricating my own arms (which I'm trying to avoid).

The power steering pulley is too close to comfort with the windshield washer reservoir bracket (driver's side) and the starter motor is almost in contact with the steering box (driver's side). If I shift the engine 1-2 inches to the passenger's side, as long as this doesn't put the transmission in a terrible position, what does this affect?

I'm still considering shifting the engine back an inch or two, but I don't know what if anything will be hurt by off center shifting.

1983 300TD
1984 300D
1995 E300 (sold)
martureo
06-13-2016, 12:48 PM #1

I'm attempting to do a 603 in a 123 build. Right now I'm trying to get the engine to sit as I want it in the engine bay. I'm planning on using the w140/w124 mount arms and hydraulic style mounts.

The issue at the present is how to shift the engine to allow clearance and how much shift is advisable. 

As I've measured it the mount positions in the w123 are 20.5 inches apart, and the 603 engine mount arms are 18.5 inches apart. So I have 2 inches to play with side to side before I need to start fabricating my own arms (which I'm trying to avoid).

The power steering pulley is too close to comfort with the windshield washer reservoir bracket (driver's side) and the starter motor is almost in contact with the steering box (driver's side). If I shift the engine 1-2 inches to the passenger's side, as long as this doesn't put the transmission in a terrible position, what does this affect?

I'm still considering shifting the engine back an inch or two, but I don't know what if anything will be hurt by off center shifting.

1983 300TD
1984 300D
1995 E300 (sold)

zeeman
Holset

06-13-2016, 02:37 PM #2
(06-13-2016, 12:48 PM)martureo I'm attempting to do a 603 in a 123 build. Right now I'm trying to get the engine to sit as I want it in the engine bay. I'm planning on using the w140/w124 mount arms and hydraulic style mounts.

Most engines don't sit in the center of the chassis anyway. As long as you have the engine at the correct slant 10 degrees and the drive line isn't in a bind you should have no problem.
zeeman
06-13-2016, 02:37 PM #2

(06-13-2016, 12:48 PM)martureo I'm attempting to do a 603 in a 123 build. Right now I'm trying to get the engine to sit as I want it in the engine bay. I'm planning on using the w140/w124 mount arms and hydraulic style mounts.

Most engines don't sit in the center of the chassis anyway. As long as you have the engine at the correct slant 10 degrees and the drive line isn't in a bind you should have no problem.

TurboTim
Holset

06-14-2016, 09:25 PM #3
I dont think the flex disks will be happy. Reason MB uses flex disks is because the driveline is perfectly straight. If you use u joints where driveline has no flex they wear out really quick. Hence use of flex disk.

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com
TurboTim
06-14-2016, 09:25 PM #3

I dont think the flex disks will be happy. Reason MB uses flex disks is because the driveline is perfectly straight. If you use u joints where driveline has no flex they wear out really quick. Hence use of flex disk.

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average