STD Tuning Engine Om617 cylinder condition

Om617 cylinder condition

Om617 cylinder condition

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PanicButton
Naturally-aspirated

05-19-2016, 03:20 AM #1
Just turned to start in on the block and after cleaning up the cylinders.. cracked liner in #3. Ground it down with a hone to be certain. Odd crack I thought. Anyway this is engine #2. First engine I got a little overly excited with my die grinder and found the water jacket during a port and polish. Then my buddy got a reality check about his capabilities when he tried to help me lift the block into my truck but instead decided to invert it upon my ball hitch. Oh joy. So money's already invested in rebuild materials, head problem is solved by engine #2 and undergoing a more informed p&p, but in light of this crack, I'm back looking at the first block... before teardown it laughed at starting in Chicago winter temps and had next to no blowby. compression numbers in the high 300's across the board. All major tolerances were measured within factory spec almost flawless, timing chain only 3° stretch, cylinders and pistons were beautiful, really great candidate for a once over until it was maliciously violated by my trailer hitch. I don't know how I feel about sleeving one cylinder alone and I'd prefer to avoid the cost of doing them all... or any of them. There's 3 areas of damage, what's the prognosis? I messed with that picture to better illustrate the dings in the cylinder wall. A) looks to be pretty much above the danger zone, right above where the top ring stops - easy, hone ridge. B) I don't know what to think about. Big deal? Smooth, no edges. Going to whip out the gauges and get an idea of depth next time I get a chance to do some work, although honestly I don't think finding that out will be significant. What's the prognosis here? C) the piston damage, I suppose that could create hot spots.. I do have another engine with good pistons in it.. I could even potentially step up from a #1 size piston to #2 size to compensate for doing a little extra honing to even out those dents, I believe they're .01mm larger per step if memory serves and there are a couple #2 pistons in the spare block. My thoughts are to check bore size, hone out another .01mm, compare/match weight of pistons, fit replacement #2 piston to original connecting rod, reassemble and force myself to forget it ever happened... Would this require any shop work to be done and is it an at least passable solution? What's the best next move here?

Pictures aren't posting. Wonderful. Bare with me here..
This post was last modified: 05-19-2016, 06:07 AM by PanicButton.
Attached Files
Image(s)

PanicButton
05-19-2016, 03:20 AM #1

Just turned to start in on the block and after cleaning up the cylinders.. cracked liner in #3. Ground it down with a hone to be certain. Odd crack I thought. Anyway this is engine #2. First engine I got a little overly excited with my die grinder and found the water jacket during a port and polish. Then my buddy got a reality check about his capabilities when he tried to help me lift the block into my truck but instead decided to invert it upon my ball hitch. Oh joy. So money's already invested in rebuild materials, head problem is solved by engine #2 and undergoing a more informed p&p, but in light of this crack, I'm back looking at the first block... before teardown it laughed at starting in Chicago winter temps and had next to no blowby. compression numbers in the high 300's across the board. All major tolerances were measured within factory spec almost flawless, timing chain only 3° stretch, cylinders and pistons were beautiful, really great candidate for a once over until it was maliciously violated by my trailer hitch. I don't know how I feel about sleeving one cylinder alone and I'd prefer to avoid the cost of doing them all... or any of them. There's 3 areas of damage, what's the prognosis? I messed with that picture to better illustrate the dings in the cylinder wall. A) looks to be pretty much above the danger zone, right above where the top ring stops - easy, hone ridge. B) I don't know what to think about. Big deal? Smooth, no edges. Going to whip out the gauges and get an idea of depth next time I get a chance to do some work, although honestly I don't think finding that out will be significant. What's the prognosis here? C) the piston damage, I suppose that could create hot spots.. I do have another engine with good pistons in it.. I could even potentially step up from a #1 size piston to #2 size to compensate for doing a little extra honing to even out those dents, I believe they're .01mm larger per step if memory serves and there are a couple #2 pistons in the spare block. My thoughts are to check bore size, hone out another .01mm, compare/match weight of pistons, fit replacement #2 piston to original connecting rod, reassemble and force myself to forget it ever happened... Would this require any shop work to be done and is it an at least passable solution? What's the best next move here?

Pictures aren't posting. Wonderful. Bare with me here..

Attached Files
Image(s)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average