STD Other Projects Project Freakshow: W116 300sd

Project Freakshow: W116 300sd

Project Freakshow: W116 300sd

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Freakshow
K26-2

05-13-2016, 02:50 PM #1
Hey everybody, just wanted to introduce myself before I flood the board with posts :P

To make a long story shorter, I've wanted an sd for quite some time and finally scooped one up a few weeks back. She was super beat and likely destined for the crusher, so I decided that any extra life I can get out of her is purely bonus time.

She had a busted rear passenger window when I got her and none of the others functioned in any way. So I set to work making a new window from plexiglass and new door cards so I could do a manual window conversion. She's water tight now and all the windows roll down, if only by hand. Spent about $50 on everything and saved about 40lbs, a definite win in my book. 

I also installed some super cheap boost and egt guages. She's pushing about 13lbs in 4th under heavy loads and I've never seen higher than 550c on egts. Sees about 350c cruising at 75mph.  

She was missing the front bumper when I bought her, so I installed some skateboards in its place. I deleted the rear and replaced with skateboards as well, saving another 40lbs and A presumed 40lbs for the front as well. 

A/c didn't work, so I deleted that to save weight and free some space behind the grill for the eventual intercooler install. 

All told, I've got like $600 in the car, I've already put over 1,000 miles on her and overall I couldn't be happier. Plans for the future include adding an intercooler and then cranking the boost and ip. Also gonna drop her and buy her some new shoes, 18x8 et0 ish, I'm thinking. At that point im sure the transmission will be toast so I've got my eyes peeled for a w123 240d 4speed donor car. I'll also paint her myself, thinking a nice pale/pastel blue. 

Basically I'm gonna go ham making a hoon mobile and I'm really excited about it. Thank you for the information I've already learned from you guys and thank you in advance for the things I haven't learned yet. All I can say is thank god for std, I'm gonna go crazy if another stodgy old curmudgeon tells me to trust MB engineers and to leave the car alone haha. Now on to pictures. 
[Image: image_4.jpeg]
[/url][url=http://s396.photobucket.com/user/LAXitives288/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_3.jpeg.html][Image: image_3.jpeg]

[Image: image_2.jpeg]
Freakshow
05-13-2016, 02:50 PM #1

Hey everybody, just wanted to introduce myself before I flood the board with posts :P

To make a long story shorter, I've wanted an sd for quite some time and finally scooped one up a few weeks back. She was super beat and likely destined for the crusher, so I decided that any extra life I can get out of her is purely bonus time.

She had a busted rear passenger window when I got her and none of the others functioned in any way. So I set to work making a new window from plexiglass and new door cards so I could do a manual window conversion. She's water tight now and all the windows roll down, if only by hand. Spent about $50 on everything and saved about 40lbs, a definite win in my book. 

I also installed some super cheap boost and egt guages. She's pushing about 13lbs in 4th under heavy loads and I've never seen higher than 550c on egts. Sees about 350c cruising at 75mph.  

She was missing the front bumper when I bought her, so I installed some skateboards in its place. I deleted the rear and replaced with skateboards as well, saving another 40lbs and A presumed 40lbs for the front as well. 

A/c didn't work, so I deleted that to save weight and free some space behind the grill for the eventual intercooler install. 

All told, I've got like $600 in the car, I've already put over 1,000 miles on her and overall I couldn't be happier. Plans for the future include adding an intercooler and then cranking the boost and ip. Also gonna drop her and buy her some new shoes, 18x8 et0 ish, I'm thinking. At that point im sure the transmission will be toast so I've got my eyes peeled for a w123 240d 4speed donor car. I'll also paint her myself, thinking a nice pale/pastel blue. 

Basically I'm gonna go ham making a hoon mobile and I'm really excited about it. Thank you for the information I've already learned from you guys and thank you in advance for the things I haven't learned yet. All I can say is thank god for std, I'm gonna go crazy if another stodgy old curmudgeon tells me to trust MB engineers and to leave the car alone haha. Now on to pictures. 
[Image: image_4.jpeg]
[/url][url=http://s396.photobucket.com/user/LAXitives288/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_3.jpeg.html][Image: image_3.jpeg]

[Image: image_2.jpeg]

EmJay
Holset

05-13-2016, 04:38 PM #2
There is an SD at my local JY with solid front and rear bumpers. I'm in Atlanta so not too far away. The one there I think is an 82. There was also a 85 w123, but the motor and trans were gone so the chassis might also soon be gone.

AC can be super easy or a major PIA to repair as well. For me, it took the ice cube mod and jumpering the tach signal at the EGR computer.

Pulling 13psi is pretty good. Running an old diesel that sat a lot can go one of two ways. #1 it quickly goes to shit and you suddenly need a new _____. #2 is that it starts running rough and over time improves (mine did this)

1987 Mazda B2200 "outlaw" **planning phase**  Chevy 283, Power Pack heads, Edelbrock carb and intake, turbo 350 trans Smile
1985 Mercedes 300D stock for now
EmJay
05-13-2016, 04:38 PM #2

There is an SD at my local JY with solid front and rear bumpers. I'm in Atlanta so not too far away. The one there I think is an 82. There was also a 85 w123, but the motor and trans were gone so the chassis might also soon be gone.

AC can be super easy or a major PIA to repair as well. For me, it took the ice cube mod and jumpering the tach signal at the EGR computer.

Pulling 13psi is pretty good. Running an old diesel that sat a lot can go one of two ways. #1 it quickly goes to shit and you suddenly need a new _____. #2 is that it starts running rough and over time improves (mine did this)

1987 Mazda B2200 "outlaw" **planning phase**  Chevy 283, Power Pack heads, Edelbrock carb and intake, turbo 350 trans Smile

Freakshow
K26-2

05-13-2016, 05:27 PM #3
Has 287k on it, would've been hard for it to sit too much haha. It was someone's daily driver until a few months before I got it. I've got a good feeling about it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If it kicks the bucket tomorrow though, I've already got way more than my money's worth.
Freakshow
05-13-2016, 05:27 PM #3

Has 287k on it, would've been hard for it to sit too much haha. It was someone's daily driver until a few months before I got it. I've got a good feeling about it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If it kicks the bucket tomorrow though, I've already got way more than my money's worth.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

05-13-2016, 05:43 PM #4
287k is fairly normal for these cars. A friend of
Mine has 380k on the tach and it didn't work when he bought it Huh

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
05-13-2016, 05:43 PM #4

287k is fairly normal for these cars. A friend of
Mine has 380k on the tach and it didn't work when he bought it Huh

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

EmJay
Holset

05-14-2016, 01:09 AM #5
Mine recently hit 308

EmJay
05-14-2016, 01:09 AM #5

Mine recently hit 308

Freakshow
K26-2

05-14-2016, 01:10 PM #6
That's what i'm saying, i've got a good feeling.  She's already made it to the moon, i'm betting she'll make the drive back too haha.

On a somewhat unrelated note, ive come across a few people mentioning modifying or changing out the springs on the delivery valves?  Has anyone found any positive results by doing this to a relatively stock MW pump?  Seems like modifying the actual valve seats is a quick way to melt your pistons, but I havent found too much real world info regarding modifying the springs instead of the seats.

Second question is, has anyone had any luck sourcing wheels in 5x112 with an offset of roughly 0?  I've looked high and low and most everything I've been finding in 5x112 is highly positive for the offset. Best i've come across without getting into ridiculous money is 18x8 et28 and even spaced out significantly, that's not gonna get me out as far as I was hoping.
This post was last modified: 05-14-2016, 01:10 PM by Freakshow.
Freakshow
05-14-2016, 01:10 PM #6

That's what i'm saying, i've got a good feeling.  She's already made it to the moon, i'm betting she'll make the drive back too haha.

On a somewhat unrelated note, ive come across a few people mentioning modifying or changing out the springs on the delivery valves?  Has anyone found any positive results by doing this to a relatively stock MW pump?  Seems like modifying the actual valve seats is a quick way to melt your pistons, but I havent found too much real world info regarding modifying the springs instead of the seats.

Second question is, has anyone had any luck sourcing wheels in 5x112 with an offset of roughly 0?  I've looked high and low and most everything I've been finding in 5x112 is highly positive for the offset. Best i've come across without getting into ridiculous money is 18x8 et28 and even spaced out significantly, that's not gonna get me out as far as I was hoping.

Edian727
Dreams of 8mm 617

05-19-2016, 08:30 PM #7
mercedes changed the offset of the wheels in 86, except the w126(and maybe the r107?), but i was the last one to use a low offset. theres some old aftermarket 16x8 that had a 11 offset, but originals in good condition are expensive, and i think replicas run about 1000 for a set. i believe the were rotas, i know theres was a couple different aftermarkets for these older cars.
Edian727
05-19-2016, 08:30 PM #7

mercedes changed the offset of the wheels in 86, except the w126(and maybe the r107?), but i was the last one to use a low offset. theres some old aftermarket 16x8 that had a 11 offset, but originals in good condition are expensive, and i think replicas run about 1000 for a set. i believe the were rotas, i know theres was a couple different aftermarkets for these older cars.

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average