STD Tuning Suspension W116 rear sway bar

W116 rear sway bar

W116 rear sway bar

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

buzzboy
K26-2

05-06-2016, 03:11 PM #1
We broke a sway bar end link on our W116.120 racecar so I removed the bar for street driving until I can fix it. I'm wondering if any other models will have bigger stock bars that fit in place. If I could snag a W126 bar that's bigger and have it bolt up I'd really like that. This heavy girl needs something to combat all the understeer.

Otherwise I'm considering finding a bigger bar off a different car to adapt, but a bigger MB unit that bolts in would be way easier.
buzzboy
05-06-2016, 03:11 PM #1

We broke a sway bar end link on our W116.120 racecar so I removed the bar for street driving until I can fix it. I'm wondering if any other models will have bigger stock bars that fit in place. If I could snag a W126 bar that's bigger and have it bolt up I'd really like that. This heavy girl needs something to combat all the understeer.

Otherwise I'm considering finding a bigger bar off a different car to adapt, but a bigger MB unit that bolts in would be way easier.

Freakshow
K26-2

05-24-2016, 03:59 PM #2
My car was missing its left rear link when I bought it a month ago, this will seem ridiculous, but I "fabbed" up a new one with zipties. Its been doing its job for about a month now. I'm really surprised it hasnt melted from brake heat(braking to the point of serious fade on a few occasions) but so far so good. Might be worthwhile as a temporary fix in your case.

As far as larger rear bars from other w116's or retrofitting larger bars from other models, I havent heard/read of much success. Seems like the larger bars were only fitted to w116 ambulances, hearses and such, unicorns in america. I haven't looked into it much yet, but im hoping theres a reasonable/easy way to double up 2 stock bars. I do agree that a stiffer rear bar should help the understeer situation, these beasts are far too fun sideways haha.
Freakshow
05-24-2016, 03:59 PM #2

My car was missing its left rear link when I bought it a month ago, this will seem ridiculous, but I "fabbed" up a new one with zipties. Its been doing its job for about a month now. I'm really surprised it hasnt melted from brake heat(braking to the point of serious fade on a few occasions) but so far so good. Might be worthwhile as a temporary fix in your case.

As far as larger rear bars from other w116's or retrofitting larger bars from other models, I havent heard/read of much success. Seems like the larger bars were only fitted to w116 ambulances, hearses and such, unicorns in america. I haven't looked into it much yet, but im hoping theres a reasonable/easy way to double up 2 stock bars. I do agree that a stiffer rear bar should help the understeer situation, these beasts are far too fun sideways haha.

buzzboy
K26-2

05-27-2016, 10:39 AM #3
Sadly the stock bar is a different shape on the W126. Looks like I'll have to figure something better out for more sway bar. At least I can replace the end-links and reinstall.
buzzboy
05-27-2016, 10:39 AM #3

Sadly the stock bar is a different shape on the W126. Looks like I'll have to figure something better out for more sway bar. At least I can replace the end-links and reinstall.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average