STD Tuning Engine Super Pump Idle Adjustment

Super Pump Idle Adjustment

Super Pump Idle Adjustment

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

JVance
GTA2056V

05-03-2016, 11:41 AM #1
I recently received my super pump from Herlevi. Instead of the idle adjustment screw and locknut (right, stock pump), the pump came with a vacuum/pressure canister (left). Can anybody fill me in on the reason why, and whether it would be appropriate to remove and replace with the idle adjustment screw?

Also, I don't suspect the ELR being in 2 different locations will have any functional difference? Yes, this is my first rodeo.

Thanks!

JVance
05-03-2016, 11:41 AM #1

I recently received my super pump from Herlevi. Instead of the idle adjustment screw and locknut (right, stock pump), the pump came with a vacuum/pressure canister (left). Can anybody fill me in on the reason why, and whether it would be appropriate to remove and replace with the idle adjustment screw?

Also, I don't suspect the ELR being in 2 different locations will have any functional difference? Yes, this is my first rodeo.

Thanks!

Duncansport
Holset

05-03-2016, 12:22 PM #2
The lower "elr" is not an elf but rather a "anti jerk solenoid" for manual cars. There was a lot of discussion about how to hook it up and make it work, some searching might be needed. You adjust the idle speed but loosening the jamb nut and turning the vacuum dashpot (just like the screw on your stock pump)
Duncansport
05-03-2016, 12:22 PM #2

The lower "elr" is not an elf but rather a "anti jerk solenoid" for manual cars. There was a lot of discussion about how to hook it up and make it work, some searching might be needed. You adjust the idle speed but loosening the jamb nut and turning the vacuum dashpot (just like the screw on your stock pump)

JVance
GTA2056V

05-03-2016, 12:26 PM #3
Gotcha. So, is it necessary to install the ELR, or does the dashpot perform that function mechanically?
JVance
05-03-2016, 12:26 PM #3

Gotcha. So, is it necessary to install the ELR, or does the dashpot perform that function mechanically?

05-03-2016, 12:33 PM #4
4- and 5-cylinder cars have pneumatic (via temp. switch) cold idle increase. 6-cyl and 4/5-cyl. with A/C & auto trans have also ELR and I think 250 Turbo as well, but not familiar with those). So what car you have, what pump? Vacuume is WAY easyer to hook up, only two hoses & a switch that senses coolant temp and your done. So that's actually a good thing your new pump doesn't have ELR Wink It's also largely free of any trouble, ELR can be faulty (eletronics) and cause irratic idle or too high/too low idle etc.

So - all good here!

Only advantage of ELR is that it actually regulates idle, vacuume is just on/off increase for cold idle. So unless your engine stalls with power steering on full lock & A/C compressor activated, I don't see any need for ELR... I tried on my OM603, even with too low idle it wasn't impressed by this test :-)
This post was last modified: 05-03-2016, 12:35 PM by DiseaselWeasel.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
05-03-2016, 12:33 PM #4

4- and 5-cylinder cars have pneumatic (via temp. switch) cold idle increase. 6-cyl and 4/5-cyl. with A/C & auto trans have also ELR and I think 250 Turbo as well, but not familiar with those). So what car you have, what pump? Vacuume is WAY easyer to hook up, only two hoses & a switch that senses coolant temp and your done. So that's actually a good thing your new pump doesn't have ELR Wink It's also largely free of any trouble, ELR can be faulty (eletronics) and cause irratic idle or too high/too low idle etc.

So - all good here!

Only advantage of ELR is that it actually regulates idle, vacuume is just on/off increase for cold idle. So unless your engine stalls with power steering on full lock & A/C compressor activated, I don't see any need for ELR... I tried on my OM603, even with too low idle it wasn't impressed by this test :-)

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

JVance
GTA2056V

05-03-2016, 12:49 PM #5
I have a '93 300d (250d), currently wrapping up a manual trans conversion. It doesn't sound terribly difficult to implement a solenoid and switches to activate fast idle. But, I'll need to research that anti-jerk solenoid.
JVance
05-03-2016, 12:49 PM #5

I have a '93 300d (250d), currently wrapping up a manual trans conversion. It doesn't sound terribly difficult to implement a solenoid and switches to activate fast idle. But, I'll need to research that anti-jerk solenoid.

EvoPeter
GT2256V

05-03-2016, 04:02 PM #6
I found my 8mm Herlevi pump to be very strong at idle. Have not stalled it yet. Not like my 7,5mm Dieselmeken when i had to have some rev to get away from a standstill. But it can also be from pump configuration as i have adjusted everything myself except the tune in for elements and not a drop-in like my other pump.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mercedes 190 -92, om605 Stroker 2.75L, Dieselmeken 7,5mm (160cc) EDC with Baldur DSL1 ECU, Garrett GTX3576R A/R 1.06 without WG, SMF, 716.661 (SG-S370/6) Gearbox
EvoPeter
05-03-2016, 04:02 PM #6

I found my 8mm Herlevi pump to be very strong at idle. Have not stalled it yet. Not like my 7,5mm Dieselmeken when i had to have some rev to get away from a standstill. But it can also be from pump configuration as i have adjusted everything myself except the tune in for elements and not a drop-in like my other pump.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mercedes 190 -92, om605 Stroker 2.75L, Dieselmeken 7,5mm (160cc) EDC with Baldur DSL1 ECU, Garrett GTX3576R A/R 1.06 without WG, SMF, 716.661 (SG-S370/6) Gearbox

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

05-04-2016, 06:51 AM #7
The ELR needs PWM not just voltage so it's hard to wire.

Would also like to know if the vac version is a direct swap for the ELR for simples.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
05-04-2016, 06:51 AM #7

The ELR needs PWM not just voltage so it's hard to wire.

Would also like to know if the vac version is a direct swap for the ELR for simples.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

JVance
GTA2056V

05-04-2016, 07:23 AM #8
(05-04-2016, 06:51 AM)Hario The ELR needs PWM not just voltage so it's hard to wire.

My car has ELR (via EDS).

For the sake of unnecessary complication, can the ELR solenoid and original idle-control screw be installed on the superpump? I.e. can I simply remove the aluminum "plug" in the superpump and bolt the ELR solenoid on? Or, would the pump have to modified for the ELR?
This post was last modified: 05-04-2016, 07:34 AM by JVance.
JVance
05-04-2016, 07:23 AM #8

(05-04-2016, 06:51 AM)Hario The ELR needs PWM not just voltage so it's hard to wire.

My car has ELR (via EDS).

For the sake of unnecessary complication, can the ELR solenoid and original idle-control screw be installed on the superpump? I.e. can I simply remove the aluminum "plug" in the superpump and bolt the ELR solenoid on? Or, would the pump have to modified for the ELR?

JVance
GTA2056V

05-05-2016, 04:19 PM #9
(05-04-2016, 07:23 AM)JVance ...can the ELR solenoid and original idle-control screw be installed on the superpump? I.e. can I simply remove the aluminum "plug" in the superpump and bolt the ELR solenoid on? Or, would the pump have to modified for the ELR?  

Huh
JVance
05-05-2016, 04:19 PM #9

(05-04-2016, 07:23 AM)JVance ...can the ELR solenoid and original idle-control screw be installed on the superpump? I.e. can I simply remove the aluminum "plug" in the superpump and bolt the ELR solenoid on? Or, would the pump have to modified for the ELR?  

Huh

Tito
Holset

05-06-2016, 04:44 AM #10
Well, I don't know that much about it, but the ELR pushes against a lever on the inside. And it's just a PWM controlled pin that's comes out I think. So yeah you should be able to.

I've bypassed the whole ELR thing by just adjusting idle with the top screw. However on cold starts idle rpms are lower. I just flicked a switch supplying 12v to the ELR and it would rev about 1000 rpm. Kinda like a petrol choke idea. However it's kinda a redneck solution.
Tito
05-06-2016, 04:44 AM #10

Well, I don't know that much about it, but the ELR pushes against a lever on the inside. And it's just a PWM controlled pin that's comes out I think. So yeah you should be able to.

I've bypassed the whole ELR thing by just adjusting idle with the top screw. However on cold starts idle rpms are lower. I just flicked a switch supplying 12v to the ELR and it would rev about 1000 rpm. Kinda like a petrol choke idea. However it's kinda a redneck solution.

barrote
Superturbo

05-06-2016, 06:00 AM #11
hy Jvance,

U hapen to fall in the tale of all the pumps are the same, and now u have to live with it....
Fortunatly is not that bad for u. If it was oposite was worst.
Usually for a day driver u send your own pump to be tuned instead of buying any one at a best price, and the reason ia that there are many governor shapes and features , and they all fit the same pumps but dont fit the cars they were meant.
To your last question , NO u can´t change the back of one pump in the other. what can be done is the GOV assy can be changed to the new pump , but if u do that u will lose the setings , and your old governor has to be tuned, by someone who knows how and in a bench.

In your new pump u have pneumatic idle increase , wich increases your idle when engine is cold, by aplying vac to the capsule in the vertical . that is easy to fix. (your old pump has ELR wich is electronic idle control)
The new pump has a ARA control wich is used to cut fuel to minimise jerking in auto trans. Your old pump does not have it. is not necessary, but u can sure add the electronic controller for that to operate.

The rest is the same , so no need to worry to much, about the idle strenght usually a 7mm or 8mm pump has a very strong idle recovery so u wont notice any stall cause air conditioner, or any other gadget .

regards

FD,