STD Tuning Engine EGP / MAP ratio

EGP / MAP ratio

EGP / MAP ratio

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

barrote
Superturbo

05-02-2016, 02:20 AM #1
Hello fine people, 

This last few days i´ve been wondering some experiment.... since i can´t achieve more than 2.5 bar boost with decent numbers in EGP ,
have plans to try a sequential setup , but as everithing in live is my first time with this type of set up.

the problem that comes to my mind wich will limit the max boost will be EGP above specially above 4 k. 

Have u guys measured some numbers on this ratio, or what do u think is a good ratio, even for a single turbo?

engine will be a 605, head assy heavily modded.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
05-02-2016, 02:20 AM #1

Hello fine people, 

This last few days i´ve been wondering some experiment.... since i can´t achieve more than 2.5 bar boost with decent numbers in EGP ,
have plans to try a sequential setup , but as everithing in live is my first time with this type of set up.

the problem that comes to my mind wich will limit the max boost will be EGP above specially above 4 k. 

Have u guys measured some numbers on this ratio, or what do u think is a good ratio, even for a single turbo?

engine will be a 605, head assy heavily modded.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

baldur
Fast

05-02-2016, 04:36 AM #2
Anything under 2:1 is okay IMO. I've been able to see close to 1:1 on a carefully matched turbo operating at maximum efficiency, but in most cases the turbine inlet pressure will be higher than the boost pressure by quite a bit. If the turbo is fairly efficient but not oversized I'd expect the turbine inlet pressure to be around 30-40% greater than boost pressure, from my experience.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
05-02-2016, 04:36 AM #2

Anything under 2:1 is okay IMO. I've been able to see close to 1:1 on a carefully matched turbo operating at maximum efficiency, but in most cases the turbine inlet pressure will be higher than the boost pressure by quite a bit. If the turbo is fairly efficient but not oversized I'd expect the turbine inlet pressure to be around 30-40% greater than boost pressure, from my experience.

Baldur Gislason

barrote
Superturbo

05-02-2016, 08:34 AM #3
Hy baldur ,
i´ve been doing something in the 1:1 but not all the time, like when the engine needs most it 1.5k to 2.5k can go peak 3:1 then when MAP matches 2.5 bar it lower sometimes to 2bar after 3 .5 k start to rise again to 4/5 times. but this is due the turbo being a VNT, and the turbine beeing a litle small, even with a bleed system .
thats why i want to try turbos in sequence... to use the bleed gases along with the used ones in the LP turbine.
we´ll see how it will "grow up"
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
05-02-2016, 08:34 AM #3

Hy baldur ,
i´ve been doing something in the 1:1 but not all the time, like when the engine needs most it 1.5k to 2.5k can go peak 3:1 then when MAP matches 2.5 bar it lower sometimes to 2bar after 3 .5 k start to rise again to 4/5 times. but this is due the turbo being a VNT, and the turbine beeing a litle small, even with a bleed system .
thats why i want to try turbos in sequence... to use the bleed gases along with the used ones in the LP turbine.
we´ll see how it will "grow up"
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

[486]
TA 0301

05-03-2016, 11:39 PM #4
vnt brings a whole different set of learning into the equation, on spoolup you'll see really high exhaust pressures with a shitty remap (or just more fuel and no remapping in the turbo control)

Running one as a HP turbo in a compound setup will increase the mass flow across the turbine somewhat as it'll be under pressure from the LP turbine, but you'll want to actually use that extra air to burn more fuel, and you're right back where you started with too little turbine choke flow. Clip the wheel and reduce it to a stone age windmill, fit a larger turbine and/or go up a frame size to get a larger vane mechanism, or finally add on an external wastegate past the HP turbine housing.

google "cheap dumb compound setup" for my TDI VNT-compound shenanigans.
If I were doing it again, I'd go all wastegated.
[486]
05-03-2016, 11:39 PM #4

vnt brings a whole different set of learning into the equation, on spoolup you'll see really high exhaust pressures with a shitty remap (or just more fuel and no remapping in the turbo control)

Running one as a HP turbo in a compound setup will increase the mass flow across the turbine somewhat as it'll be under pressure from the LP turbine, but you'll want to actually use that extra air to burn more fuel, and you're right back where you started with too little turbine choke flow. Clip the wheel and reduce it to a stone age windmill, fit a larger turbine and/or go up a frame size to get a larger vane mechanism, or finally add on an external wastegate past the HP turbine housing.

google "cheap dumb compound setup" for my TDI VNT-compound shenanigans.
If I were doing it again, I'd go all wastegated.

barrote
Superturbo

05-04-2016, 01:47 AM #5
Thanks [486]
I belive we are talking about diferent things , my engine compared to a TDI is like comparing a man to a boy. Wink)
I wrote above that i´m doing 1:1 ratios with boost at 3.5 absolute pressure... what i want is to be in the 5 bar with the ratio still 1/1 , since in my set up controling EGP is just a mater of springs and screws , and yes there is 2 waste gates on the system, one for the HP and another for the LP if need be.
Thanks for your input , theres something u said that interests me , wich is "CLIP THE Wheel" what u mean by that?
still interested i knowing what people have as EGP/ MAP ratios in there set ups.
thanks

BTW , my pump delivers 220cc if need beWink

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
05-04-2016, 01:47 AM #5

Thanks [486]
I belive we are talking about diferent things , my engine compared to a TDI is like comparing a man to a boy. Wink)
I wrote above that i´m doing 1:1 ratios with boost at 3.5 absolute pressure... what i want is to be in the 5 bar with the ratio still 1/1 , since in my set up controling EGP is just a mater of springs and screws , and yes there is 2 waste gates on the system, one for the HP and another for the LP if need be.
Thanks for your input , theres something u said that interests me , wich is "CLIP THE Wheel" what u mean by that?
still interested i knowing what people have as EGP/ MAP ratios in there set ups.
thanks

BTW , my pump delivers 220cc if need beWink

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

raysorenson
Superturbo

05-05-2016, 10:36 AM #6
Turbine clipping is cutting the turbine wheel to increase flow. Bad idea.
raysorenson
05-05-2016, 10:36 AM #6

Turbine clipping is cutting the turbine wheel to increase flow. Bad idea.

[486]
TA 0301

05-05-2016, 11:02 PM #7
Yup, that's why I was comparing it to making the turbine into a windmill.
(05-04-2016, 01:47 AM)barrote Thanks [486]
I belive we are talking about diferent things , my engine compared to a TDI is like comparing a man to a  boy. Wink)
Eh, scale my junk up and it's close enough to your junk. Doesn't matter what badge is on the front, an engine is an engine. A VNT turbine's a VNT turbine, whether its inducer's 45mm or 90mm.
I wrote above that i´m doing 1:1 ratios with boost at 3.5 absolute pressure... what i want is to be in the 5 bar with the ratio still 1/1 , since in my set up controling EGP is just a mater of springs and screws
Bypassed exhaust doesn't put energy into the turbine though, so while changing up the wastegate is reducing your exhaust manifold pressure, you aren't gaining anything on the intake manifold side from that exhaust gas' energy. Thus a larger turbine, to actually utilize the expansion and cooling of the exhaust to drive a suitable compressor wheel at higher pressure ratio and therefore mass flow.

Edit to add: mine's currently also doing 3.5 BAR absolute, but with 40 PSI in the exhaust manifold. I've run out of fuel, so I haven't bothered looking into fine tuning the pressure ratios of the stages yet, bigger injectors were supposed to show up today...
This post was last modified: 05-05-2016, 11:06 PM by [486].
[486]
05-05-2016, 11:02 PM #7

Yup, that's why I was comparing it to making the turbine into a windmill.

(05-04-2016, 01:47 AM)barrote Thanks [486]
I belive we are talking about diferent things , my engine compared to a TDI is like comparing a man to a  boy. Wink)
Eh, scale my junk up and it's close enough to your junk. Doesn't matter what badge is on the front, an engine is an engine. A VNT turbine's a VNT turbine, whether its inducer's 45mm or 90mm.
I wrote above that i´m doing 1:1 ratios with boost at 3.5 absolute pressure... what i want is to be in the 5 bar with the ratio still 1/1 , since in my set up controling EGP is just a mater of springs and screws
Bypassed exhaust doesn't put energy into the turbine though, so while changing up the wastegate is reducing your exhaust manifold pressure, you aren't gaining anything on the intake manifold side from that exhaust gas' energy. Thus a larger turbine, to actually utilize the expansion and cooling of the exhaust to drive a suitable compressor wheel at higher pressure ratio and therefore mass flow.

Edit to add: mine's currently also doing 3.5 BAR absolute, but with 40 PSI in the exhaust manifold. I've run out of fuel, so I haven't bothered looking into fine tuning the pressure ratios of the stages yet, bigger injectors were supposed to show up today...

barrote
Superturbo

05-05-2016, 11:54 PM #8
Hello mr [486]
I have been developing a low press DI , something in the 350bar, out of a OM602, this boy is to be 100hp cylinder or 30 and then is junk.
Don´t take the "boy" thing that personall Wink

What is interesting to discuss is that u too are doing in the 1:1 ratio or similar , 3.5 and 40psi dada almost 1:1 ...
The reason i want a VNT as HP is the easy spool ability and amount (volume) of gas need for that , like this i can divert the remaining for the LP one wich is not so LP one. will be a Holset crap 35 or 40 wich i hope to give me enough air for those 100 cylinder. With that ratio of 1:1 or better. 5bar absolute is what i consider can be achieved at full pull , and maybe not even the engine will handle it... i´ll see.... afterwards.
so opinions on the matter are well apreciated...

BTW u´re talking about the VW injector units so called PD engine ? those i never messed with , but i had done a VE EDC for a TDI with 12mm and 150cc , 120cc in the dual stage , works great ... can´t clean up smoke...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
05-05-2016, 11:54 PM #8

Hello mr [486]
I have been developing a low press DI , something in the 350bar, out of a OM602, this boy is to be 100hp cylinder or 30 and then is junk.

What is interesting to discuss is that u too are doing in the 1:1 ratio or similar , 3.5 and 40psi dada almost 1:1 ...
The reason i want a VNT as HP is the easy spool ability and amount (volume) of gas need for that , like this i can divert the remaining for the LP one wich is not so LP one. will be a Holset crap 35 or 40 wich i hope to give me enough air for those 100 cylinder. With that ratio of 1:1 or better. 5bar absolute is what i consider can be achieved at full pull , and maybe not even the engine will handle it... i´ll see.... afterwards.

BTW u´re talking about the VW injector units so called PD engine ? those i never messed with , but i had done a VE EDC for a TDI with 12mm and 150cc , 120cc in the dual stage , works great ... can´t clean up smoke...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

[486]
TA 0301

05-07-2016, 12:10 AM #9
(05-05-2016, 11:54 PM)barrote Hello mr [486]

The reason i want a VNT as HP is the easy spool ability  and amount (volume) of gas need for that , like this i can divert the remaining for the LP  one wich is not so LP one. will be a Holset crap 35 or 40  wich i hope to give me enough air for those 100 cylinder. With that ratio of 1:1 or better. 5bar absolute is what i consider can be achieved at full pull , and maybe not even the engine will handle it... i´ll see.... afterwards.

No, I'm running a VP-37 pump with the bosch EDC15
they are just some 5x .360mm nozzles, and I've got a 12mm pump head to go on it.
Then I'll start doing things to get more air out of my turbos, I think I should get better efficiency by setting my LP wastegate higher. It is only running at a pressure ratio of 1.8, and I'm fairly certain it is over to the left side of peak efficiency on the compressor map. More pressure will also bring the mass flow up, so it very well may get closer to 1:1, with luck.

Ideally you can see more pressure on the intake manifold than is in the exhaust manifold, here is a video of it happening,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gEh-KcmYe0
Right around 0:50-0:55, play it back at real slow speed (settings menu on the lower right of the youtube window)
You can see the exhaust gauge comes up first, then once it starts spooling, the intake gauge comes up and surpasses it for a bit. The real hard trick is choosing your turbos to have that window as wide as possible. This should coincide with peak torque, if your power isn't being limited by fuel.
[486]
05-07-2016, 12:10 AM #9

(05-05-2016, 11:54 PM)barrote Hello mr [486]

The reason i want a VNT as HP is the easy spool ability  and amount (volume) of gas need for that , like this i can divert the remaining for the LP  one wich is not so LP one. will be a Holset crap 35 or 40  wich i hope to give me enough air for those 100 cylinder. With that ratio of 1:1 or better. 5bar absolute is what i consider can be achieved at full pull , and maybe not even the engine will handle it... i´ll see.... afterwards.

No, I'm running a VP-37 pump with the bosch EDC15
they are just some 5x .360mm nozzles, and I've got a 12mm pump head to go on it.
Then I'll start doing things to get more air out of my turbos, I think I should get better efficiency by setting my LP wastegate higher. It is only running at a pressure ratio of 1.8, and I'm fairly certain it is over to the left side of peak efficiency on the compressor map. More pressure will also bring the mass flow up, so it very well may get closer to 1:1, with luck.

Ideally you can see more pressure on the intake manifold than is in the exhaust manifold, here is a video of it happening,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gEh-KcmYe0
Right around 0:50-0:55, play it back at real slow speed (settings menu on the lower right of the youtube window)
You can see the exhaust gauge comes up first, then once it starts spooling, the intake gauge comes up and surpasses it for a bit. The real hard trick is choosing your turbos to have that window as wide as possible. This should coincide with peak torque, if your power isn't being limited by fuel.

barrote
Superturbo

05-07-2016, 01:17 PM #10
Those VP ´s can be swapped for a VE EDC and the VE can be litle better to tune.... more parts available....
of course the rotor style pumps can´t put out as much as the inlines we use in merc´s sincronised at the same injection speeds...
completely diff type of pump , a customized VE 12mm special head with special cam plate and DV´s can be maximised to put out 150cc in the second stage injection.
the dual stage injectors have some tricks , one of the trics is relief pressure, but u can always change to 520 or 725 nozles. that should be enough for your litle engine Wink

about the turbos , well apreciate the vid , i´ll watch carefully and lets see what my sequence will deliver... out of curiosity what turbos u have in your sequence?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
05-07-2016, 01:17 PM #10

Those VP ´s can be swapped for a VE EDC and the VE can be litle better to tune.... more parts available....
of course the rotor style pumps can´t put out as much as the inlines we use in merc´s sincronised at the same injection speeds...
completely diff type of pump , a customized VE 12mm special head with special cam plate and DV´s can be maximised to put out 150cc in the second stage injection.
the dual stage injectors have some tricks , one of the trics is relief pressure, but u can always change to 520 or 725 nozles. that should be enough for your litle engine Wink

about the turbos , well apreciate the vid , i´ll watch carefully and lets see what my sequence will deliver... out of curiosity what turbos u have in your sequence?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

starynovy
Holset

05-08-2016, 03:09 AM #11
What is swapping VE for VP? I tought EDC pumps are VP series VP37 and VP44. VE pumps are mechanical. Also i would never ever make mistake of swaping EDC pump for shitty mechanical when you have EDC15 ECU hooked to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex: 525tds 130kW, C250TD 160kW, E320CDI 200kW, ML400CDI 230kW, A6 R5TDI 130kW
Now: Q7 V8TDI 240kW, 320d 150kW, 335d 210kW
starynovy
05-08-2016, 03:09 AM #11

What is swapping VE for VP? I tought EDC pumps are VP series VP37 and VP44. VE pumps are mechanical. Also i would never ever make mistake of swaping EDC pump for shitty mechanical when you have EDC15 ECU hooked to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex: 525tds 130kW, C250TD 160kW, E320CDI 200kW, ML400CDI 230kW, A6 R5TDI 130kW
Now: Q7 V8TDI 240kW, 320d 150kW, 335d 210kW

barrote
Superturbo

05-08-2016, 04:25 AM #12
there is VE ´s with electronic governor , some parts inside are litle diff from VP´s . in many country ´s the VP are the ones u have electronic, and yes if u can swap a electronic distribuitor type pump for a mech VE , there is a lot to be gained , wich is rather dificult to explain here, and also there can be found 14 mm rotors for 6 cyl ones.
and many trics to get the extra cc out of it . in the electronic governor pump u are always limited by the governor assy , is very dificult to maximise the injection ring operation, wheres to say maximise the Kf value..... dadaa aaaddda

what ever , Wink nothing u can do without a bench tester.....

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
05-08-2016, 04:25 AM #12

there is VE ´s with electronic governor , some parts inside are litle diff from VP´s . in many country ´s the VP are the ones u have electronic, and yes if u can swap a electronic distribuitor type pump for a mech VE , there is a lot to be gained , wich is rather dificult to explain here, and also there can be found 14 mm rotors for 6 cyl ones.
and many trics to get the extra cc out of it . in the electronic governor pump u are always limited by the governor assy , is very dificult to maximise the injection ring operation, wheres to say maximise the Kf value..... dadaa aaaddda

what ever , Wink nothing u can do without a bench tester.....

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Turbo
Holset

05-08-2016, 08:39 AM #13
Is Ve limited like VP44 to about 4000rpm engine speed? at least that is what some injection companies in US say,
at some place it can be found that VP44 can have pilot injection some one know about this?
can you eletronically set injektion time on some ve pump like Bosch PESH
Turbo
05-08-2016, 08:39 AM #13

Is Ve limited like VP44 to about 4000rpm engine speed? at least that is what some injection companies in US say,
at some place it can be found that VP44 can have pilot injection some one know about this?
can you eletronically set injektion time on some ve pump like Bosch PESH

barrote
Superturbo

05-08-2016, 09:59 AM #14
Hy ,
The thing with those pumps is that is possible to electronically change basic timming and injection advance like in the VP´s
The VE´s with electronic governor u set advance by regulating the spring inside the advance mechanism and it advances based on pilot fuel pressure and the pilot fuel pressure is kind of connected with the trasnfer case pressure, basically is a number that be must balanced, despite we can change it by as much we want.

On the other hand cars with VP´s and access through OBDII port one can change the basic timming and the basic advance in the map. but be aware that does not mean u can gain nothing with that, cause what is being done is a Variation (delta) to the basic map.
these pumps also read things like fuel temp , case pressure and some other features that relate to Emissions.

In a VE all this thing is set mechanically , and the wires are 7 ,stop solenoid, electromagnetic actuator feed back , electromagnetic actuator power, and fuel temp for cold start. the VP´s have a minimum of 9 .

about the 4000 rpm , u must be talking about the engine RPM, and that is not true, a VE can turn as much as u want , but like i said above from a certain point on (2k) the construction of the pump and quality of the injection head and plunguer determines the injection balance and phasing at high rpm , lets say more tha 2.5k. then u achieve usable rpm limit.

There are injection heads rated to 2300rpm , 2800, and 3200 , OEM thats what we look for is a rotor head in the 12mm rated for 3200,
As u see when we talk about a 14mm head , it surelly belong to a cummins agricultural or gen set , rated at 2.3k wich will not perform well in your M51 engine.... this is just a opening in the window.... i´ve seen a part number for a "daewoo" hydraulic gen set with a Zexel pump rated for 3.2k is a 6 cyl 14mm head, but i dont have the info on the rest , cam plate and kf number , so i dont know if it worths the assle to find one.... probably is a waste of money...

and of course , there were made thousands of OEM pumps by bosch based on type A ,M ,MW, P , V, and some other fancy , another thousands made under licence by stanadyne , zexel , diesel kiki , most have interchangeable parts ... is a question of digging and find what suits u better.

regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
05-08-2016, 09:59 AM #14

Hy ,
The thing with those pumps is that is possible to electronically change basic timming and injection advance like in the VP´s
The VE´s with electronic governor u set advance by regulating the spring inside the advance mechanism and it advances based on pilot fuel pressure and the pilot fuel pressure is kind of connected with the trasnfer case pressure, basically is a number that be must balanced, despite we can change it by as much we want.

On the other hand cars with VP´s and access through OBDII port one can change the basic timming and the basic advance in the map. but be aware that does not mean u can gain nothing with that, cause what is being done is a Variation (delta) to the basic map.
these pumps also read things like fuel temp , case pressure and some other features that relate to Emissions.

In a VE all this thing is set mechanically , and the wires are 7 ,stop solenoid, electromagnetic actuator feed back , electromagnetic actuator power, and fuel temp for cold start. the VP´s have a minimum of 9 .

about the 4000 rpm , u must be talking about the engine RPM, and that is not true, a VE can turn as much as u want , but like i said above from a certain point on (2k) the construction of the pump and quality of the injection head and plunguer determines the injection balance and phasing at high rpm , lets say more tha 2.5k. then u achieve usable rpm limit.

There are injection heads rated to 2300rpm , 2800, and 3200 , OEM thats what we look for is a rotor head in the 12mm rated for 3200,
As u see when we talk about a 14mm head , it surelly belong to a cummins agricultural or gen set , rated at 2.3k wich will not perform well in your M51 engine.... this is just a opening in the window.... i´ve seen a part number for a "daewoo" hydraulic gen set with a Zexel pump rated for 3.2k is a 6 cyl 14mm head, but i dont have the info on the rest , cam plate and kf number , so i dont know if it worths the assle to find one.... probably is a waste of money...

and of course , there were made thousands of OEM pumps by bosch based on type A ,M ,MW, P , V, and some other fancy , another thousands made under licence by stanadyne , zexel , diesel kiki , most have interchangeable parts ... is a question of digging and find what suits u better.

regards

FD,