STD Tuning Engine A lot of gas bubbles in coolant, OM603

A lot of gas bubbles in coolant, OM603

A lot of gas bubbles in coolant, OM603

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

04-21-2016, 10:50 AM #1
Hi!

Things replaced:
- factory fresh #22 cylinder head (about 4000km)
- new 72mm water pump
- smal pulley
- new radiator

everything is as per factory, the only thing missing is the heater pump below the washer fluid reservoir. Car is also fitted with the ventilation-line that bypasses the heater core into the expension tank.

But still - I have constant bubbling in the expension tank... Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlhXTPMxGGo

I let the engine run with heater on full power untill it was hot (a dash above the 80° mark), then I put the cap back on the expansion tank. It takes about 15 minutes (engine hot, idling) for pressure to build up. And pressure does not dissapear over night, when I open the expansion tank next morning, it's still pressurized.

I don't know what to do anymore... But I have a feeling that this is no regular behavior. Cracked block!?!? Leaking heater core!?!? I'm out of ideas, realy. Before I also replace the heater core and the engine block, maybe someone else has some bright idea or maybe this is normal after all!? My n/a OM603 doesn't have the slightest bubble in the expension tank and loses all pressure when cooling down. 

Sigh. i hate this engine, but it has cost way too much money to throw it away now...

Thanks for any input!!

Cheers,
Jan

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
04-21-2016, 10:50 AM #1

Hi!

Things replaced:
- factory fresh #22 cylinder head (about 4000km)
- new 72mm water pump
- smal pulley
- new radiator

everything is as per factory, the only thing missing is the heater pump below the washer fluid reservoir. Car is also fitted with the ventilation-line that bypasses the heater core into the expension tank.

But still - I have constant bubbling in the expension tank... Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlhXTPMxGGo

I let the engine run with heater on full power untill it was hot (a dash above the 80° mark), then I put the cap back on the expansion tank. It takes about 15 minutes (engine hot, idling) for pressure to build up. And pressure does not dissapear over night, when I open the expansion tank next morning, it's still pressurized.

I don't know what to do anymore... But I have a feeling that this is no regular behavior. Cracked block!?!? Leaking heater core!?!? I'm out of ideas, realy. Before I also replace the heater core and the engine block, maybe someone else has some bright idea or maybe this is normal after all!? My n/a OM603 doesn't have the slightest bubble in the expension tank and loses all pressure when cooling down. 

Sigh. i hate this engine, but it has cost way too much money to throw it away now...

Thanks for any input!!

Cheers,
Jan

raysorenson
Superturbo

04-21-2016, 12:08 PM #2
The #22 head has extra steam holes between the cylinders, right? Did the head gasket have these holes?

It's not a leaking heater core. You can get get a "block tester" kit that checks for the presence of hydrocarbons in the cooling system. That would tell you if combustion gasses are getting in there.
raysorenson
04-21-2016, 12:08 PM #2

The #22 head has extra steam holes between the cylinders, right? Did the head gasket have these holes?

It's not a leaking heater core. You can get get a "block tester" kit that checks for the presence of hydrocarbons in the cooling system. That would tell you if combustion gasses are getting in there.

04-21-2016, 12:54 PM #3
Yes & yes, there's only one type of gasket available (in various thicknesses) at MB's.

DiseaselWeasel
04-21-2016, 12:54 PM #3

Yes & yes, there's only one type of gasket available (in various thicknesses) at MB's.

barrote
Superturbo

04-21-2016, 12:59 PM #4
try purge/bleed , air is trapped somewhere the bubling is the water pump efect, got a similar problem the other day in my 605.
one thing u can be sure the pressure building is not going anywhere!!! after cold , or u may just have a gasket sealing bad wich is not normal. Wink

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-21-2016, 12:59 PM #4

try purge/bleed , air is trapped somewhere the bubling is the water pump efect, got a similar problem the other day in my 605.
one thing u can be sure the pressure building is not going anywhere!!! after cold , or u may just have a gasket sealing bad wich is not normal. Wink

FD,