STD Other Projects Introducing: Evgeniy's diesel story, continued with a W123

Introducing: Evgeniy's diesel story, continued with a W123

Introducing: Evgeniy's diesel story, continued with a W123

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Evgeniy1987
GT2256V

04-15-2016, 11:37 AM #1
Gentlemen (and perhaps ladies), hello!

I am new here, and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Evgeniy, born in 1987 in Russia, living since 2001 in Heerlen, southern Netherlands.

I've finished Bachelor in Automotive Engineering, and am now almost done with my Master.

My diesel life started back in the summer of 2011 .. I drove a Honda CRX, which just costed me too much... I was poor, back then..

To solve the situation and prepare myself for driving 1100km/week to work and school, I built a VW Scirocco mTDI

mTDI means basicaly what you guys do to the OM606 : you take a mechanically controlled pump, modify it, and let it run on a more modern engine. Reliability because of less electronics and adjustability with a couple of screws is really nice.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/sci...tdi/108965

[Image: IMG_20151001_095624.jpg]

In the Netherlands, we pay much taxes. For my Scirocco, I pay 920 € a year for taxes. Just because...

For reasons of "back-up" and just for fun, I wanted a second car.

It deeds to be a car from '76 or older, because then it is tax free. It is nice when it runs on Diesel, because diesel is cheaper... So, it became a W123.

After a long search for an affordable one, I found this one:

[Image: IMG_20160327_125839.jpg]

It was advertized for 3250 € and should have been rebuilt and new painted and blablabla..

When I went to look at it, it became clear, that it is a big lie. Although the car was painted new, the paint was far from perfect... the engine ran bad, but the car stood stationary for a long time, blablabla... 

The engine, btw, is a 2.2 ? Although the car is a "240 D "

So then, I was a bit stupid and impulsive, but fortunately had a friend with me, with a bit bigger mouth... so for 1700 €, we've got the car... and could not take it home, because the engine leaked diesel...  Angry .. and the tires, as you all can see of course, are much too wide and mounted on ET42 rims, so one of the sides rubbed in the rear...

A bit disappointed, we picked up the car after 2 days with a trailer, which costed me 200€ more..

But ok, I have it now.

After the car was home, I had time to have a better look... and I saw, that some really double-left-handed people misused it.

So, my plans:

- I've already lowered it with H&R springs. I wanted that, and it was necessary: In the front, 2 different springs were mounted  Huh

- During lowering, I discovered baaaaaad things..

[Image: IMG_20160408_WA0018.jpg]

Seems to be a usual problem for these cars.. but this is really hardcore, in my perception.. life threatening..

Oh yeah, people had wheel bolts... which were too long for the rear.. so they shortened them  Dodgy .. all the threads were going rough, and one of the threads was even fckd-up

In the front, the rims were so much too wide, that they hitted the steering knuckle.. So, they solved it by a spacer, but...  Huh .. they had a spacer of about 15mm, with a hole of 60 .,. and a small edge of 66.6 ... and they machined the front hubs, so the 60mm hole would fit over it?  Huh Huh

This is really frustrating, if I want to use a normal rim without spacer, It will not be hub-centered.

I installed 25mm spacers from H&R in the rear, because they were cheaper than buying new rims... and 42 - 25 = 17, which is pretty okay, comparing to original ET25.

- I would like to let the engine run. I am kind of skeptic about a vacuum-controlled injection pump, so I would like to find a mechanically-controlled pump for the engine. For me as a good school student, diesel with a throttle valve is a source of pain in the brain....

- When I will complete the study-part of my Master ( so, all the exams) with high-enough marks, I will gift myself an OM606m , which at first probably will be "stockturbo"  Tongue .. you know, just to be kept busy in the summer.

- When I will get my diploma, I will gift myself a 722.6 gearbox with shift-controller, so then, the power may start to grow without concerns.

Exclamation letting the 2.2 engine run will allow me to go to import the car, as it is now not Dutch yet.. so it would be really nice.

- small further, "in-between plan" : buy a display-inside-mirror and a camera for the back. I am not used to a such big car, and it will really annoy me if I would hit things...

- future-plan-idea: engineer a new rear-trailing arm with adjustable camber. Not because of adjustable camber, but because of "new".. When you buy a used one, it can be just as crusty as the one you have, but then a little bit better, so you don't see it... So I will have mine "spare" anyway, and will see what I can do  Wink

I really appreciate to be a part of the forum, and would like to help you where I can!
Evgeniy1987
04-15-2016, 11:37 AM #1

Gentlemen (and perhaps ladies), hello!

I am new here, and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Evgeniy, born in 1987 in Russia, living since 2001 in Heerlen, southern Netherlands.

I've finished Bachelor in Automotive Engineering, and am now almost done with my Master.

My diesel life started back in the summer of 2011 .. I drove a Honda CRX, which just costed me too much... I was poor, back then..

To solve the situation and prepare myself for driving 1100km/week to work and school, I built a VW Scirocco mTDI

mTDI means basicaly what you guys do to the OM606 : you take a mechanically controlled pump, modify it, and let it run on a more modern engine. Reliability because of less electronics and adjustability with a couple of screws is really nice.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/sci...tdi/108965

[Image: IMG_20151001_095624.jpg]

In the Netherlands, we pay much taxes. For my Scirocco, I pay 920 € a year for taxes. Just because...

For reasons of "back-up" and just for fun, I wanted a second car.

It deeds to be a car from '76 or older, because then it is tax free. It is nice when it runs on Diesel, because diesel is cheaper... So, it became a W123.

After a long search for an affordable one, I found this one:

[Image: IMG_20160327_125839.jpg]

It was advertized for 3250 € and should have been rebuilt and new painted and blablabla..

When I went to look at it, it became clear, that it is a big lie. Although the car was painted new, the paint was far from perfect... the engine ran bad, but the car stood stationary for a long time, blablabla... 

The engine, btw, is a 2.2 ? Although the car is a "240 D "

So then, I was a bit stupid and impulsive, but fortunately had a friend with me, with a bit bigger mouth... so for 1700 €, we've got the car... and could not take it home, because the engine leaked diesel...  Angry .. and the tires, as you all can see of course, are much too wide and mounted on ET42 rims, so one of the sides rubbed in the rear...

A bit disappointed, we picked up the car after 2 days with a trailer, which costed me 200€ more..

But ok, I have it now.

After the car was home, I had time to have a better look... and I saw, that some really double-left-handed people misused it.

So, my plans:

- I've already lowered it with H&R springs. I wanted that, and it was necessary: In the front, 2 different springs were mounted  Huh

- During lowering, I discovered baaaaaad things..

[Image: IMG_20160408_WA0018.jpg]

Seems to be a usual problem for these cars.. but this is really hardcore, in my perception.. life threatening..

Oh yeah, people had wheel bolts... which were too long for the rear.. so they shortened them  Dodgy .. all the threads were going rough, and one of the threads was even fckd-up

In the front, the rims were so much too wide, that they hitted the steering knuckle.. So, they solved it by a spacer, but...  Huh .. they had a spacer of about 15mm, with a hole of 60 .,. and a small edge of 66.6 ... and they machined the front hubs, so the 60mm hole would fit over it?  Huh Huh

This is really frustrating, if I want to use a normal rim without spacer, It will not be hub-centered.

I installed 25mm spacers from H&R in the rear, because they were cheaper than buying new rims... and 42 - 25 = 17, which is pretty okay, comparing to original ET25.

- I would like to let the engine run. I am kind of skeptic about a vacuum-controlled injection pump, so I would like to find a mechanically-controlled pump for the engine. For me as a good school student, diesel with a throttle valve is a source of pain in the brain....

- When I will complete the study-part of my Master ( so, all the exams) with high-enough marks, I will gift myself an OM606m , which at first probably will be "stockturbo"  Tongue .. you know, just to be kept busy in the summer.

- When I will get my diploma, I will gift myself a 722.6 gearbox with shift-controller, so then, the power may start to grow without concerns.

Exclamation letting the 2.2 engine run will allow me to go to import the car, as it is now not Dutch yet.. so it would be really nice.

- small further, "in-between plan" : buy a display-inside-mirror and a camera for the back. I am not used to a such big car, and it will really annoy me if I would hit things...

- future-plan-idea: engineer a new rear-trailing arm with adjustable camber. Not because of adjustable camber, but because of "new".. When you buy a used one, it can be just as crusty as the one you have, but then a little bit better, so you don't see it... So I will have mine "spare" anyway, and will see what I can do  Wink

I really appreciate to be a part of the forum, and would like to help you where I can!

Tito
Holset

04-17-2016, 06:58 AM #2
Hi and welcome here. You study at HAN Automotive? That's cool because that's the same place I study Big Grin
Any plans regarding the engine? Would be nice to swap a powerful diesel in there.
I had plans to do that and actually swapped a 603 in a w123, but then they changed tax prices on old cars so I had to sell the car for a bargain... Now doing a 606 in a w114.
Tito
04-17-2016, 06:58 AM #2

Hi and welcome here. You study at HAN Automotive? That's cool because that's the same place I study Big Grin
Any plans regarding the engine? Would be nice to swap a powerful diesel in there.
I had plans to do that and actually swapped a 603 in a w123, but then they changed tax prices on old cars so I had to sell the car for a bargain... Now doing a 606 in a w114.

Evgeniy1987
GT2256V

04-17-2016, 02:33 PM #3
(04-17-2016, 06:58 AM)Tito Hi and welcome here. You study at HAN Automotive? That's cool because that's the same place I study Big Grin

Hi, Tito!

I read about your project with the green Benz.. Very awesome!

Plans on the engine? Of course.. trying to let the OM615 run, so I can go to RDW .. but it will be OM606ST in the future, when I have high marks at the end of the year. Tax free car, haha Wink

I indeed study in Arnhem ;Wink 2nd year of Master of Automotive Systems part-time , almost finished. I am there on wednesdays. 

Today, I discovered some things:

- Apparently, there are different lengths of parking brake cables... I ordered a "used and OK" trailing arm , and there was a parking brake cable attached..which was at least 50cm shorter than that on my car.

- you can't exchange the arm without dropping the sub-frame  Angry

- I discovered how to remove the black-thingy from the adjustment lever of the mirror.
Evgeniy1987
04-17-2016, 02:33 PM #3

(04-17-2016, 06:58 AM)Tito Hi and welcome here. You study at HAN Automotive? That's cool because that's the same place I study Big Grin

Hi, Tito!

I read about your project with the green Benz.. Very awesome!

Plans on the engine? Of course.. trying to let the OM615 run, so I can go to RDW .. but it will be OM606ST in the future, when I have high marks at the end of the year. Tax free car, haha Wink

I indeed study in Arnhem ;Wink 2nd year of Master of Automotive Systems part-time , almost finished. I am there on wednesdays. 

Today, I discovered some things:

- Apparently, there are different lengths of parking brake cables... I ordered a "used and OK" trailing arm , and there was a parking brake cable attached..which was at least 50cm shorter than that on my car.

- you can't exchange the arm without dropping the sub-frame  Angry

- I discovered how to remove the black-thingy from the adjustment lever of the mirror.

Dark Hawk
TA 0301

04-18-2016, 03:11 PM #4
Jesus Christ you guys spend an assload on taxes over there! That's about how much the registration costed for my 09 WRX. Thank God shit isn't that expensive here.

1984 300d 132k restormod project in the works
1985 300td 300k $600 off road adventure project
1999 land cruiser  235k, 33" mud tires, off road, towing, hauler
Dark Hawk
04-18-2016, 03:11 PM #4

Jesus Christ you guys spend an assload on taxes over there! That's about how much the registration costed for my 09 WRX. Thank God shit isn't that expensive here.

Evgeniy1987
GT2256V

04-20-2016, 04:11 AM #5
(04-18-2016, 03:11 PM)Dark Hawk Jesus Christ you guys spend an assload on taxes over there! That's about how much the registration costed for my 09 WRX. Thank God shit isn't that expensive here.

Yep... with a diesel car, one pays really much taxes..

BUT! actually, if one is smart, the calculation needs to be done, what is cheaper: cheap taxes and gasoline, or expensive taxes and Diesel, or middle-expensive taxes and LPG..

And people here do not understand how to calculate that Smile
Evgeniy1987
04-20-2016, 04:11 AM #5

(04-18-2016, 03:11 PM)Dark Hawk Jesus Christ you guys spend an assload on taxes over there! That's about how much the registration costed for my 09 WRX. Thank God shit isn't that expensive here.

Yep... with a diesel car, one pays really much taxes..

BUT! actually, if one is smart, the calculation needs to be done, what is cheaper: cheap taxes and gasoline, or expensive taxes and Diesel, or middle-expensive taxes and LPG..

And people here do not understand how to calculate that Smile

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

04-20-2016, 09:31 AM #6
Sounds complicated. I hope we never come to the day where our vehicles emission/taxes are as complicated as yours

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
04-20-2016, 09:31 AM #6

Sounds complicated. I hope we never come to the day where our vehicles emission/taxes are as complicated as yours

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

Dark Hawk
TA 0301

04-21-2016, 11:38 AM #7
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/bill-intro...1763624347

http://jalopnik.com/how-and-why-you-can-...1758288770

Dark Hawk
04-21-2016, 11:38 AM #7

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/bill-intro...1763624347

http://jalopnik.com/how-and-why-you-can-...1758288770

Tito
Holset

04-22-2016, 12:39 PM #8
I daily drive a 800cc little Japanse car and it costs me 12 euros on tax a month. The government tries to get rid of old polluting cars sadly. I use to drive a w124 om603 but it costs like 200 euros on insurance and taxes a month. And then it was just standing on the driveway. The petrol prices here are the highest among Europe. However, I got to admit I've got a very good financial income.
Tito
04-22-2016, 12:39 PM #8

I daily drive a 800cc little Japanse car and it costs me 12 euros on tax a month. The government tries to get rid of old polluting cars sadly. I use to drive a w124 om603 but it costs like 200 euros on insurance and taxes a month. And then it was just standing on the driveway. The petrol prices here are the highest among Europe. However, I got to admit I've got a very good financial income.

Evgeniy1987
GT2256V

05-05-2016, 04:21 PM #9
Today, my Benz ran a bit! Just set the pump a bit earlier, without proper timing. I now have a big fight with my mother, because the car smokes too much, and it is bad for the image at the neighbours.

But, a running engine is a step ahead.

I now can drive to somewhere to replace the rear trailing arm.
Evgeniy1987
05-05-2016, 04:21 PM #9

Today, my Benz ran a bit! Just set the pump a bit earlier, without proper timing. I now have a big fight with my mother, because the car smokes too much, and it is bad for the image at the neighbours.

But, a running engine is a step ahead.

I now can drive to somewhere to replace the rear trailing arm.

Evgeniy1987
GT2256V

05-08-2016, 03:02 AM #10
Yesterday, I started the Benz Machine again, and it runs better and better. Still so weak, the engine can't pull it up a small hill...

But.. I was allowed on a car lift, and was able to replace the rotten rear trailing arm. 10€ per hour, including using the tools. It is affordable.

Step by step...
Evgeniy1987
05-08-2016, 03:02 AM #10

Yesterday, I started the Benz Machine again, and it runs better and better. Still so weak, the engine can't pull it up a small hill...

But.. I was allowed on a car lift, and was able to replace the rotten rear trailing arm. 10€ per hour, including using the tools. It is affordable.

Step by step...

Tito
Holset

05-09-2016, 04:00 PM #11
Remember that these engines are quiet slow. I couldn't even pull a closed trailer at 80km/u with my 200d.
Tito
05-09-2016, 04:00 PM #11

Remember that these engines are quiet slow. I couldn't even pull a closed trailer at 80km/u with my 200d.

Evgeniy1987
GT2256V

05-10-2016, 08:59 AM #12
Haha, true. But still, perhaps adjusting the IP-timing will gain a bit power.. and reduce smoke..

If the engine would run, I could go to RDW to put the car on my name Smile
Evgeniy1987
05-10-2016, 08:59 AM #12

Haha, true. But still, perhaps adjusting the IP-timing will gain a bit power.. and reduce smoke..

If the engine would run, I could go to RDW to put the car on my name Smile

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

05-10-2016, 10:40 AM #13
My turbo'd  om617 is still slow after I turned it up, I can't imagine a naturally aspirated engine!
This post was last modified: 05-10-2016, 10:41 AM by MFSuper90.

MFSuper90
05-10-2016, 10:40 AM #13

My turbo'd  om617 is still slow after I turned it up, I can't imagine a naturally aspirated engine!

Evgeniy1987
GT2256V

09-03-2016, 09:33 AM #14
Today I tested the compression, although with a cold engine ...

12 - 16 - 16 -16 ..

in the glow-plug hole of the 2nd cilinder, there was coolant... I think, the engine is dead..
Evgeniy1987
09-03-2016, 09:33 AM #14

Today I tested the compression, although with a cold engine ...

12 - 16 - 16 -16 ..

in the glow-plug hole of the 2nd cilinder, there was coolant... I think, the engine is dead..

NZScott
HX30W 73/44mm

09-03-2016, 05:00 PM #15
Bummer, guess those 606 plans just got more urgent?

1978 300D, 373,000km... OM617.912 with a Holset HX30W, 7.5mm IP, 711.113 5 speed (project car, 7 years off the road and counting ;/)
1977 250 270,000km (parts car)
1977 300D (ex 280) 500,000km

1981 240D 498,000
1975 HJ45 ???,000
2001 2.8TD Rodeo 4x2 - 456,000 - DD

NZScott
09-03-2016, 05:00 PM #15

Bummer, guess those 606 plans just got more urgent?

1978 300D, 373,000km... OM617.912 with a Holset HX30W, 7.5mm IP, 711.113 5 speed (project car, 7 years off the road and counting ;/)
1977 250 270,000km (parts car)
1977 300D (ex 280) 500,000km

1981 240D 498,000
1975 HJ45 ???,000
2001 2.8TD Rodeo 4x2 - 456,000 - DD

Evgeniy1987
GT2256V

09-04-2016, 11:14 AM #16
well, I need to finish my master project first... but for sure, it is a pain in the ass.. I even can't drive the car to the body work repair shop ...
Evgeniy1987
09-04-2016, 11:14 AM #16

well, I need to finish my master project first... but for sure, it is a pain in the ass.. I even can't drive the car to the body work repair shop ...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average