STD Other Projects 87' Turbo D

87' Turbo D

87' Turbo D

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

300Dturbo
Naturally-aspirated

04-15-2016, 12:32 AM #1
Hey! Introducing myself with a rambling mess of om603 questions.. I am Brian, familiar to Mercedes but this is my first diesel.. Turbo brained...would call myself a hobbiest and DIY tuner.. Enjoy racing and shows..

I have done research on a 5spd swap and understand with the parts car  (84 190e 2.3L 8v 5spd) I have everything but he proper clutch kit/flywheel that will need to be from a 300e and I will have a driveshaft shop edit the 190e shaft to work with the 300d diff by swapping a yoke ya?? Anything else?? 

Recently acquired a local 87 300d Turbo.. 114k miles.. Wine red and tan.. Runs and drives well accelerating seemlessly.. Minor Surface rust I will attend to. Ovp relay was out when I got it....Replaced to regain tacho and ditch the brake light.. Stumbled at cold start too with bad ovp now it's smooth. Radio is aftermarket but not working hard to pull out and the drivers door lock physically works and the central locking works everywhere except driver front door lock..(bad pod?) I believe it all to be repairable.. So far I am a fan of the 29year old 124

Im looking for power.. Looking at 7mm elements and an intercooled hx35 on a euro header.. I think my w201 Trans would grenade tho... 

I would like to max out the stock setup.. I checked the Turbo today no shaft play... Does leak from oil return or something near it and what seems like the intake boot just down from the crank case vent connection going into turbo bottom of the cold sides coatedin old build up. Also leaks oil from sensor right above oil drain plug on the block. Pressure sensor? 
I want to eliminate egr too.. 
Read putting a bb in the vac line does the same as removal/disabling egr gonna try that. 

What else should I do? Egt sensor?Remove some intake stuff and clean it?? The crank case vented some sludge... All stock I am the 3rd owner.. 

Wish I could hear the Turbo..might delete muffler for tunes.. I heard exhaust mods are pointless power wise.. Would love to have an IP mod.. Not sure where to send it in the USA... Going to check local shops... Anyone got a used myna??  

Let me know what's what fellas 

Thanks!
-Brian
300Dturbo
04-15-2016, 12:32 AM #1

Hey! Introducing myself with a rambling mess of om603 questions.. I am Brian, familiar to Mercedes but this is my first diesel.. Turbo brained...would call myself a hobbiest and DIY tuner.. Enjoy racing and shows..

I have done research on a 5spd swap and understand with the parts car  (84 190e 2.3L 8v 5spd) I have everything but he proper clutch kit/flywheel that will need to be from a 300e and I will have a driveshaft shop edit the 190e shaft to work with the 300d diff by swapping a yoke ya?? Anything else?? 

Recently acquired a local 87 300d Turbo.. 114k miles.. Wine red and tan.. Runs and drives well accelerating seemlessly.. Minor Surface rust I will attend to. Ovp relay was out when I got it....Replaced to regain tacho and ditch the brake light.. Stumbled at cold start too with bad ovp now it's smooth. Radio is aftermarket but not working hard to pull out and the drivers door lock physically works and the central locking works everywhere except driver front door lock..(bad pod?) I believe it all to be repairable.. So far I am a fan of the 29year old 124

Im looking for power.. Looking at 7mm elements and an intercooled hx35 on a euro header.. I think my w201 Trans would grenade tho... 

I would like to max out the stock setup.. I checked the Turbo today no shaft play... Does leak from oil return or something near it and what seems like the intake boot just down from the crank case vent connection going into turbo bottom of the cold sides coatedin old build up. Also leaks oil from sensor right above oil drain plug on the block. Pressure sensor? 
I want to eliminate egr too.. 
Read putting a bb in the vac line does the same as removal/disabling egr gonna try that. 

What else should I do? Egt sensor?Remove some intake stuff and clean it?? The crank case vented some sludge... All stock I am the 3rd owner.. 

Wish I could hear the Turbo..might delete muffler for tunes.. I heard exhaust mods are pointless power wise.. Would love to have an IP mod.. Not sure where to send it in the USA... Going to check local shops... Anyone got a used myna??  

Let me know what's what fellas 

Thanks!
-Brian

raysorenson
Superturbo

04-15-2016, 07:01 AM #2
I would skip the 5 speed swap, sell the parts car and put that towards the turbo, injection pump and manifold. You'll dump a lot of money into a clutch that holds only to find that it grenades your trans.
raysorenson
04-15-2016, 07:01 AM #2

I would skip the 5 speed swap, sell the parts car and put that towards the turbo, injection pump and manifold. You'll dump a lot of money into a clutch that holds only to find that it grenades your trans.

300Dturbo
Naturally-aspirated

04-15-2016, 11:12 AM #3
Plan is to swap w124 to manual.. Max out the stock turbo system then upgrade the Turbo fuel and trans to accommodate the power...

W201 Trans should take stock turbo torque...

I have a turbo 85 AMG 2.3 gasser that has a manual trans behind it.. I will pull the 124 Trans and have it as an extra... 

WHats stronger. 2.3 16v and 300e Trans? BMW zf 6spd?
300Dturbo
04-15-2016, 11:12 AM #3

Plan is to swap w124 to manual.. Max out the stock turbo system then upgrade the Turbo fuel and trans to accommodate the power...

W201 Trans should take stock turbo torque...

I have a turbo 85 AMG 2.3 gasser that has a manual trans behind it.. I will pull the 124 Trans and have it as an extra... 

WHats stronger. 2.3 16v and 300e Trans? BMW zf 6spd?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average