STD Tuning Engine HX30 Backpressure (Lower Power Build)

HX30 Backpressure (Lower Power Build)

HX30 Backpressure (Lower Power Build)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

awsrock
300SDL / HX30 / 90cc

04-12-2016, 12:08 PM #1
I am starting to think I may have some EGP issues with my HX30 om a 603, but wanted to ask your advice on that..

I only have a 90cc pump, 6mm, so I am not looking to make crazy power, but if I can squeeze out the most I can, I would be happy.

Anyway, I bought a new HX30w a few months ago and don't particularly want to get rid of it....so, with a 6cm housing, will I be looking at backpressure issues? If so, I thought of a few options:

1. Get 12cm divided housing for HX30
2. Get HE341 or HX35
3. Get an external wastegate (kind of leaning towards this option) The egr opening on the w140 manifold appears to be right at 38mm..

I think the compressor should be fine for providing the air I need, probably 22 psi max, so that is one reason why I don't want to just get rid of it. I'll also have a smallish intercooler and 3" downpipe to help with things. I realize the 6mm will be making higher EGTS up top and be close to it's limit, but if I can pull off 230-240 hp instead of 210 or so, that would be cool. As things stand, I am hoping for 220 so I don't know how much it would be worth getting an extra 10 if it is going to be expensive.

I like HY35 and HE341 options, but they look like a pain to clock because of the actuator placement. I especially like the way the internal wastegate and exhaust opening on the 341 look, seems to be on an angle with no housing blocking the flow.

Any ideas?
awsrock
04-12-2016, 12:08 PM #1

I am starting to think I may have some EGP issues with my HX30 om a 603, but wanted to ask your advice on that..

I only have a 90cc pump, 6mm, so I am not looking to make crazy power, but if I can squeeze out the most I can, I would be happy.

Anyway, I bought a new HX30w a few months ago and don't particularly want to get rid of it....so, with a 6cm housing, will I be looking at backpressure issues? If so, I thought of a few options:

1. Get 12cm divided housing for HX30
2. Get HE341 or HX35
3. Get an external wastegate (kind of leaning towards this option) The egr opening on the w140 manifold appears to be right at 38mm..

I think the compressor should be fine for providing the air I need, probably 22 psi max, so that is one reason why I don't want to just get rid of it. I'll also have a smallish intercooler and 3" downpipe to help with things. I realize the 6mm will be making higher EGTS up top and be close to it's limit, but if I can pull off 230-240 hp instead of 210 or so, that would be cool. As things stand, I am hoping for 220 so I don't know how much it would be worth getting an extra 10 if it is going to be expensive.

I like HY35 and HE341 options, but they look like a pain to clock because of the actuator placement. I especially like the way the internal wastegate and exhaust opening on the 341 look, seems to be on an angle with no housing blocking the flow.

Any ideas?

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

04-13-2016, 04:27 AM #2
External / bigger gate is my vote.

I have a HY35 and cut off the actuator bracket from the housing to clock it, I'm probably going to make a new bracket our of some aluminium sheet/plate if my friend doesn't want to tig the original bracket back on.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
04-13-2016, 04:27 AM #2

External / bigger gate is my vote.

I have a HY35 and cut off the actuator bracket from the housing to clock it, I'm probably going to make a new bracket our of some aluminium sheet/plate if my friend doesn't want to tig the original bracket back on.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

awsrock
300SDL / HX30 / 90cc

04-13-2016, 11:26 AM #3
The HE341 exhaust housing looks like it is made to flow a lot with the wastegate having no blockage and being on an angle. The exit is huge and the turbine and wastegate probably make up about 75% of the area..I just don't see too many for sale at a reasonable price. 

But yeah, both that and the HY35 would be pains like you said with the actuator bracket, and on top of that the HE has the goofy intake exit.

For now I think I am going to run it as-is and see how it does, then maybe get an external. After all, a stock 606 with a chip is pretty close to where I am going to end up so I am probably getting a little ahead of myself again.

It's hard to tell, I have read on here that a 7cm TD04 will be great for 6mm elements maxed out, which is basically on par with my HX30, whereas I have also read that HX35s make backpressure as low as 250 hp.

And I don't think an HX35 would be a good fit for my low cc output, plus it is my daily driver so I want to keep some low end. A 10cm housing might be fine but then I am buying another turbo, etc.

Again, not worried about my engine dying from excessive EGP or anything like that but if I can gain a little top end from better flow without having to sell my current setup then I want to give it a try.
awsrock
04-13-2016, 11:26 AM #3

The HE341 exhaust housing looks like it is made to flow a lot with the wastegate having no blockage and being on an angle. The exit is huge and the turbine and wastegate probably make up about 75% of the area..I just don't see too many for sale at a reasonable price. 

But yeah, both that and the HY35 would be pains like you said with the actuator bracket, and on top of that the HE has the goofy intake exit.

For now I think I am going to run it as-is and see how it does, then maybe get an external. After all, a stock 606 with a chip is pretty close to where I am going to end up so I am probably getting a little ahead of myself again.

It's hard to tell, I have read on here that a 7cm TD04 will be great for 6mm elements maxed out, which is basically on par with my HX30, whereas I have also read that HX35s make backpressure as low as 250 hp.

And I don't think an HX35 would be a good fit for my low cc output, plus it is my daily driver so I want to keep some low end. A 10cm housing might be fine but then I am buying another turbo, etc.

Again, not worried about my engine dying from excessive EGP or anything like that but if I can gain a little top end from better flow without having to sell my current setup then I want to give it a try.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

04-14-2016, 11:31 AM #4
Hook up a exhaust back pressure gauge and it will tell the story. Much cheaper than a new charger. My 6cm hx30 doesn't seem to choke my 617, but I never rigged up a gauge to check backpressure, and I still have a stock plunger IP

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
04-14-2016, 11:31 AM #4

Hook up a exhaust back pressure gauge and it will tell the story. Much cheaper than a new charger. My 6cm hx30 doesn't seem to choke my 617, but I never rigged up a gauge to check backpressure, and I still have a stock plunger IP

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

atypicalguy
Holset

05-11-2016, 01:28 AM #5
You need to measure your back pressure and boost.
atypicalguy
05-11-2016, 01:28 AM #5

You need to measure your back pressure and boost.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average