STD Tuning Engine 603 No Start after IP Swap

603 No Start after IP Swap

603 No Start after IP Swap

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

awsrock
300SDL / HX30 / 90cc

03-31-2016, 01:26 PM #1
I installed a Herlevi 6mm pump on my 87 603 and am having one hell of a time getting any fuel out of it. I have even attached a bulb primer to try to force some fuel in...which resulted in fuel coming out of the return, so it has to be getting in there somehow. Still, nothing out of cracked injector ends. Filters are full, etc.

How long do you typically have to crank a bone dry ip? I think at this point I have gone beyond anything "normal" and am worried there is something wrong with the pump.

Can the lift pump be bad while it is being tested on the bench?

Looking for any ideas or advice, and hoping to not have to take it off again to put the old one back...

Thanks!
This post was last modified: 03-31-2016, 01:28 PM by awsrock.
awsrock
03-31-2016, 01:26 PM #1

I installed a Herlevi 6mm pump on my 87 603 and am having one hell of a time getting any fuel out of it. I have even attached a bulb primer to try to force some fuel in...which resulted in fuel coming out of the return, so it has to be getting in there somehow. Still, nothing out of cracked injector ends. Filters are full, etc.

How long do you typically have to crank a bone dry ip? I think at this point I have gone beyond anything "normal" and am worried there is something wrong with the pump.

Can the lift pump be bad while it is being tested on the bench?

Looking for any ideas or advice, and hoping to not have to take it off again to put the old one back...

Thanks!

awsrock
300SDL / HX30 / 90cc

03-31-2016, 02:04 PM #2
I noticed that when I push the stop lever on my old pump, you can hear something in there moving. Pushing the lever on the new pump is smooth with no feeling that anything is connected....perhaps the rack is not opening? Wouldn't this need to work in order to set the pump up on the bench?
awsrock
03-31-2016, 02:04 PM #2

I noticed that when I push the stop lever on my old pump, you can hear something in there moving. Pushing the lever on the new pump is smooth with no feeling that anything is connected....perhaps the rack is not opening? Wouldn't this need to work in order to set the pump up on the bench?

awsrock
300SDL / HX30 / 90cc

03-31-2016, 03:51 PM #3
I think the rack might be stuck closed or maybe disconnected....that would explain my situation. Updates to follow
awsrock
03-31-2016, 03:51 PM #3

I think the rack might be stuck closed or maybe disconnected....that would explain my situation. Updates to follow

TurboTim
Holset

04-01-2016, 12:34 AM #4
(03-31-2016, 03:51 PM)awsrock I think the rack might be stuck closed or maybe disconnected....that would explain my situation. Updates to follow

Crack an injector line and see if you are getting fuel at least? Then you can see if its a timing issue or not.

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com
TurboTim
04-01-2016, 12:34 AM #4

(03-31-2016, 03:51 PM)awsrock I think the rack might be stuck closed or maybe disconnected....that would explain my situation. Updates to follow

Crack an injector line and see if you are getting fuel at least? Then you can see if its a timing issue or not.

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com

barrote
Superturbo

04-01-2016, 03:21 AM #5
lol,
common situation on those pumps, when they are left a wile apart from the engine.
remove the rack cover and force it to move, it should be stuck . usually the element sticks to the barrel and the throtle Spring is not strong enough to make it move. once it starts to heat up all will be ok.

In a M pump with the engine stopped the rack should be half way travel , when it is turned at starter speed the rack moves even forward , and with WOT it goes all the way to the end , so remove the cover and watch that behaviour!!!

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-01-2016, 03:21 AM #5

lol,
common situation on those pumps, when they are left a wile apart from the engine.
remove the rack cover and force it to move, it should be stuck . usually the element sticks to the barrel and the throtle Spring is not strong enough to make it move. once it starts to heat up all will be ok.

In a M pump with the engine stopped the rack should be half way travel , when it is turned at starter speed the rack moves even forward , and with WOT it goes all the way to the end , so remove the cover and watch that behaviour!!!

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

awsrock
300SDL / HX30 / 90cc

04-01-2016, 04:29 AM #6
There is no fuel coming out at all from the lines. I think Barrote is right. I found an old post from PP forum with a similar issue, I guess the rack guide or whatever came off track during shipping. I suspect something similar, my pump's box was quite beat up by the time I got it
awsrock
04-01-2016, 04:29 AM #6

There is no fuel coming out at all from the lines. I think Barrote is right. I found an old post from PP forum with a similar issue, I guess the rack guide or whatever came off track during shipping. I suspect something similar, my pump's box was quite beat up by the time I got it

barrote
Superturbo

04-01-2016, 04:39 AM #7
nop , its almost impossible for that to happen , most probably the rack is just stiky due to being some time without operation.
do as i said , the rack must move by hand with the engine stopped.
BTW with enough crank the pump will suck from tank even with the lift pump damaged. as long as there´s no restriction.

FD,