STD Other Projects w210 OM606 project

w210 OM606 project

w210 OM606 project

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mgnf
Naturally-aspirated

02-29-2016, 04:46 PM #1
Hello!

thought i'd do a sort of build thread for a w210 i'm building.
i'm no expert mechanic so just going with what i think works and seeing where i end up
mainly building the car for a laugh.

So i started my journey buying a used turbodiesel estate 
something i've been looking to buy for a few years now
trawling through local ebay and one turns up bidding for £300, i decided to message the guy and offered him £200 no hassle would collect anytime as he put in his listing he's been messed around many times and just wanted rid of it
he listed it as an immanent MOT failure due to corroded rear brake pipes?

as you can see my misses enjoyed it too!
this lovely old merc had covered 180k miles and i thought it was too high for the build so sold it on for £1200 after it flew through a new MOT!

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi
mgnf
02-29-2016, 04:46 PM #1

Hello!

thought i'd do a sort of build thread for a w210 i'm building.
i'm no expert mechanic so just going with what i think works and seeing where i end up
mainly building the car for a laugh.

So i started my journey buying a used turbodiesel estate 
something i've been looking to buy for a few years now
trawling through local ebay and one turns up bidding for £300, i decided to message the guy and offered him £200 no hassle would collect anytime as he put in his listing he's been messed around many times and just wanted rid of it
he listed it as an immanent MOT failure due to corroded rear brake pipes?

as you can see my misses enjoyed it too!
this lovely old merc had covered 180k miles and i thought it was too high for the build so sold it on for £1200 after it flew through a new MOT!

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi

mgnf
Naturally-aspirated

02-29-2016, 04:53 PM #2
So the guy i sold the Silver merc to had one that was a bit rougher around the body but had only covered 110K miles.
we struck a deal and i came home with the blue one! 
it ran alot sweeter than the silver one and seemed to pull alot better, no smoke and lots of MOT means i was happy.

I knew it was fate when i saw the numberplate in a rear view mirror and it says HOLSETS!!

now was time to get to work on the old dog.

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi
mgnf
02-29-2016, 04:53 PM #2

So the guy i sold the Silver merc to had one that was a bit rougher around the body but had only covered 110K miles.
we struck a deal and i came home with the blue one! 
it ran alot sweeter than the silver one and seemed to pull alot better, no smoke and lots of MOT means i was happy.

I knew it was fate when i saw the numberplate in a rear view mirror and it says HOLSETS!!

now was time to get to work on the old dog.

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi

mgnf
Naturally-aspirated

02-29-2016, 05:02 PM #3
I found out about a local "run what you brung" drag racing event going down soon so i decided i would prep the car and see what it runs before i went for any power modifications.

out came the interior to save weight!

its very suprising how much the interior weighs!
i removed everything not essential for the car to run, also kept the heater matrix for comfort 

we went to the event and after 56 1/4 mile runs we concluded the best possible time the car would run was 16.9 seconds at 90 mph
on the next run after this we hit problems, the temperature skyrocketed and we went for a cooldown lap.

tried it again and overheated again. we knew something was broken!
obviously i was so excited to go i completely forgot to take any tools  with me and had to call the AA to get recovered!
the look on the drivers face when he opened the door was amusing!
got it back and stripped it to find it had a plastic impellor water pump that had shattered!!

new one ordered and fitted and problem solved!

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi
mgnf
02-29-2016, 05:02 PM #3

I found out about a local "run what you brung" drag racing event going down soon so i decided i would prep the car and see what it runs before i went for any power modifications.

out came the interior to save weight!

its very suprising how much the interior weighs!
i removed everything not essential for the car to run, also kept the heater matrix for comfort 

we went to the event and after 56 1/4 mile runs we concluded the best possible time the car would run was 16.9 seconds at 90 mph
on the next run after this we hit problems, the temperature skyrocketed and we went for a cooldown lap.

tried it again and overheated again. we knew something was broken!
obviously i was so excited to go i completely forgot to take any tools  with me and had to call the AA to get recovered!
the look on the drivers face when he opened the door was amusing!
got it back and stripped it to find it had a plastic impellor water pump that had shattered!!

new one ordered and fitted and problem solved!

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi

mgnf
Naturally-aspirated

02-29-2016, 05:16 PM #4
next i went onto getting some power for the beast.
i took my manifold to the local flow jet place who makes military grade parts for submarines and helecopters and had him make me up a stainless flange for the OM606, we did this in 12mm stainless on an angle corrected flow jet machine.
he also knocked me up an outlet flange for a turbo i managed to get cheap!
the turbo i went with is a brand new borg warner S2B from a straddle carrier (the things that move shipping containers!)

the exhaust housing from this turbo is probably a bit too big for the aplication but borg warner told me its good for 3.5 bar of boost and if i cant get it to spool up just close up a scroll or partially close one... yet to see what happens yet.

i bought a tubular manifold from ebay for a M50 turbo bmw with T4 turbo outlet to use as the base section of pipework
i cut the flange off and modified my flange to go from oval to round pipes.

i went for the left hand idea after trying many ways to get it all to fit. 

some of you purists are going to give digs at my fabrication works but i dont care what it looks like.
i wanted a big wastegate for this to keep the turbo in check so we welded a 52mm elbow on the collector for a wastegate.

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi
mgnf
02-29-2016, 05:16 PM #4

next i went onto getting some power for the beast.
i took my manifold to the local flow jet place who makes military grade parts for submarines and helecopters and had him make me up a stainless flange for the OM606, we did this in 12mm stainless on an angle corrected flow jet machine.
he also knocked me up an outlet flange for a turbo i managed to get cheap!
the turbo i went with is a brand new borg warner S2B from a straddle carrier (the things that move shipping containers!)

the exhaust housing from this turbo is probably a bit too big for the aplication but borg warner told me its good for 3.5 bar of boost and if i cant get it to spool up just close up a scroll or partially close one... yet to see what happens yet.

i bought a tubular manifold from ebay for a M50 turbo bmw with T4 turbo outlet to use as the base section of pipework
i cut the flange off and modified my flange to go from oval to round pipes.

i went for the left hand idea after trying many ways to get it all to fit. 

some of you purists are going to give digs at my fabrication works but i dont care what it looks like.
i wanted a big wastegate for this to keep the turbo in check so we welded a 52mm elbow on the collector for a wastegate.

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi

mgnf
Naturally-aspirated

02-29-2016, 05:31 PM #5
so with all this boost you obviously need a decent wastegate

i searched around for a while to find out which looked the best and instead of going for a cheap ebay wastegate or a fake TIAL one i decided to get a used turbonetics Newgen HP from a big rotary drag car, this thing is 50mm swing gate instead of piston gate and is good for 100psi+

i decided to get it fit up and start making the exhaust.

i also decided i needed a huge intercooler so got a custom made one from a tractor puller!
for this to fit the radiator needed to be moved back a little bit...

this radiator was new but fitted to a BMW 525TDS i bought for £40 for the gearbox!
i used the original bmw shroud and faced it the opposite way, a peugeot Partner van fan fit perfectly into the viscous fan hole in the shroud.
i also fitted the twin mercedes fan from the front, behind the radiator pulling air out the back
obviously the air needed to go somewhere so i trimmed a hole in the boot, fitted some bonnet pins and made a box to cover the whole thing so the air actually goes outside!, it works great even with just one fan on!

i piped it all up in copper as im a plumber by trade
fitted a 5 series bmw expansion tank in the rear to feed it all and some thermomanometer guages to monitor flow and return temperature and pressure and a pretty OMP steering wheel with a boss from a W124!

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi
mgnf
02-29-2016, 05:31 PM #5

so with all this boost you obviously need a decent wastegate

i searched around for a while to find out which looked the best and instead of going for a cheap ebay wastegate or a fake TIAL one i decided to get a used turbonetics Newgen HP from a big rotary drag car, this thing is 50mm swing gate instead of piston gate and is good for 100psi+

i decided to get it fit up and start making the exhaust.

i also decided i needed a huge intercooler so got a custom made one from a tractor puller!
for this to fit the radiator needed to be moved back a little bit...

this radiator was new but fitted to a BMW 525TDS i bought for £40 for the gearbox!
i used the original bmw shroud and faced it the opposite way, a peugeot Partner van fan fit perfectly into the viscous fan hole in the shroud.
i also fitted the twin mercedes fan from the front, behind the radiator pulling air out the back
obviously the air needed to go somewhere so i trimmed a hole in the boot, fitted some bonnet pins and made a box to cover the whole thing so the air actually goes outside!, it works great even with just one fan on!

i piped it all up in copper as im a plumber by trade
fitted a 5 series bmw expansion tank in the rear to feed it all and some thermomanometer guages to monitor flow and return temperature and pressure and a pretty OMP steering wheel with a boss from a W124!

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi

mgnf
Naturally-aspirated

02-29-2016, 05:46 PM #6
also chucked in some old sparcos

heres what the standard intercooler looks like (too small!!)

heres a picture of me trying to shoehorn the gigantic intercooler into place and make sure the bonnet still closes!!

i managed to get it to fit between the radiator bottom support bracket and the top of the slam panel!
we cut the inlet and outlet off the intercooler and had them rewelded on in different positions and angles 

i ordered an 8mm 603 pump from goran the god of diesel and now eagerly awaiting the return of it!!!

oh yeah and my exhaust is straight through 3" out the wing!!

Attached Files
Image(s)

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi
mgnf
02-29-2016, 05:46 PM #6

also chucked in some old sparcos

heres what the standard intercooler looks like (too small!!)

heres a picture of me trying to shoehorn the gigantic intercooler into place and make sure the bonnet still closes!!

i managed to get it to fit between the radiator bottom support bracket and the top of the slam panel!
we cut the inlet and outlet off the intercooler and had them rewelded on in different positions and angles 

i ordered an 8mm 603 pump from goran the god of diesel and now eagerly awaiting the return of it!!!

oh yeah and my exhaust is straight through 3" out the wing!!

Attached Files
Image(s)

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi

erio
TA 0301

03-03-2016, 06:11 PM #7
There is seriously something wrong with my head. But you are totaly crazy. Love your exhaust in fender Smile. Love your work.
Im building a sleeper, you are building an estate monster . 2 separate waus Wink

1999 S210 Edc pump. 7.5mm dieselmeken element. 
HX35W turbo, custom map. 
Brakes 330mm 4 piston brembo CL500, bolt on fit. Longer brake lines. 3mm spacers.
260km/h
2.1 boost for now.
16 inch steel wheels with 20mm spacers.
erio
03-03-2016, 06:11 PM #7

There is seriously something wrong with my head. But you are totaly crazy. Love your exhaust in fender Smile. Love your work.
Im building a sleeper, you are building an estate monster . 2 separate waus Wink

1999 S210 Edc pump. 7.5mm dieselmeken element. 
HX35W turbo, custom map. 
Brakes 330mm 4 piston brembo CL500, bolt on fit. Longer brake lines. 3mm spacers.
260km/h
2.1 boost for now.
16 inch steel wheels with 20mm spacers.

mgnf
Naturally-aspirated

03-21-2016, 04:35 PM #8
here is a couple of pictures from a drag event we went to
went on the dyno and made 339hp at 2 bar of boost
welded up one scroll in the turbo and makes 3 bar of boost now and comes on at 3000rpm

could only run 15.6 seconds at 102mph as the gearbox wont let me shift on boost!?!

then one of the glowplugs decided to blow out of the engine...
the collar didnt break but the internals of the glowplug came out 
a friend kindly donated a seatbelt bolt from a Lexus IS200 which was the correct thread pitch to get us home
as you can see its an oily mess as the dipstick popped out!

gearbox next...

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi
mgnf
03-21-2016, 04:35 PM #8

here is a couple of pictures from a drag event we went to
went on the dyno and made 339hp at 2 bar of boost
welded up one scroll in the turbo and makes 3 bar of boost now and comes on at 3000rpm

could only run 15.6 seconds at 102mph as the gearbox wont let me shift on boost!?!

then one of the glowplugs decided to blow out of the engine...
the collar didnt break but the internals of the glowplug came out 
a friend kindly donated a seatbelt bolt from a Lexus IS200 which was the correct thread pitch to get us home
as you can see its an oily mess as the dipstick popped out!

gearbox next...

Mercedes sprinter 311cdi

erx
w202 om606

03-21-2016, 04:48 PM #9
(02-29-2016, 04:46 PM)mgnf this lovely old merc had covered 180k miles and i thought it was too high for the build so sold it on for £1200 after it flew through a new MOT!

Mine came with 290k miles and is running fine with 3bar.  Big Grin
erx
03-21-2016, 04:48 PM #9

(02-29-2016, 04:46 PM)mgnf this lovely old merc had covered 180k miles and i thought it was too high for the build so sold it on for £1200 after it flew through a new MOT!

Mine came with 290k miles and is running fine with 3bar.  Big Grin

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average