STD Tuning Engine tune up specifications for om617 turbo

tune up specifications for om617 turbo

tune up specifications for om617 turbo

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

labhuntingdog
Unregistered

02-20-2016, 07:02 PM #1
Hello All: This is my first post here - I am a bit of a newbe to Mercedes diesels.  I have a 1985 300d turbo and its a 4 speed manual -- I just got it out of paint and we are pretty much done reassembling it. This car has 160,00 miles on it - runs out smooth. Smooth even idle - no overheating ect. It's a nice clean survivor.  I am trying to get a little more power out of the 0m617 - items done so far - valve adjustment - new Bosieo  nozzles on the fuel injectors - new glow plugs - checked timing chain - seems ok "0" on cam marks and TDC line up - so the chain cant be stretched to badly.  I also replaced the trap oxidizer with a test pipe & got rid of the egr that pumps oily chunks of goop into the intake manifold.  We rebuilt the turbo - complete kit & it wasn't full of carbon - but it was time - as there was about a teaspoon of flakes it inside it.  Have new fuel filters and  an oil change.  Now - timing questions - would it help me out to advance the pump timing a little ? Like 1 or  2 degrees? also how about an off set key in the cam timing?? we will be setting the boost at 13 or 14 lbs. backing the alda out to smoke and then turning it in. I am in need of an opinion of what these changes should produce in power and torque?? Also any other suggestions would be appreciated. I am not trying to build a diesel hot rod - I just want a nice strong fuel efficient car with a just a little more heat than the other guy has.  Also - I am used to working on Cats and Cummins. Nice big long stroking motors - not this 10 mm & 12 mm  micro sized stuff - with a stroke of a 283 chevy.  Again all suggestions and opinions will be appreciated - thanks jeff    Phone :  503-319-7575 anytime - if you want to call
labhuntingdog
02-20-2016, 07:02 PM #1

Hello All: This is my first post here - I am a bit of a newbe to Mercedes diesels.  I have a 1985 300d turbo and its a 4 speed manual -- I just got it out of paint and we are pretty much done reassembling it. This car has 160,00 miles on it - runs out smooth. Smooth even idle - no overheating ect. It's a nice clean survivor.  I am trying to get a little more power out of the 0m617 - items done so far - valve adjustment - new Bosieo  nozzles on the fuel injectors - new glow plugs - checked timing chain - seems ok "0" on cam marks and TDC line up - so the chain cant be stretched to badly.  I also replaced the trap oxidizer with a test pipe & got rid of the egr that pumps oily chunks of goop into the intake manifold.  We rebuilt the turbo - complete kit & it wasn't full of carbon - but it was time - as there was about a teaspoon of flakes it inside it.  Have new fuel filters and  an oil change.  Now - timing questions - would it help me out to advance the pump timing a little ? Like 1 or  2 degrees? also how about an off set key in the cam timing?? we will be setting the boost at 13 or 14 lbs. backing the alda out to smoke and then turning it in. I am in need of an opinion of what these changes should produce in power and torque?? Also any other suggestions would be appreciated. I am not trying to build a diesel hot rod - I just want a nice strong fuel efficient car with a just a little more heat than the other guy has.  Also - I am used to working on Cats and Cummins. Nice big long stroking motors - not this 10 mm & 12 mm  micro sized stuff - with a stroke of a 283 chevy.  Again all suggestions and opinions will be appreciated - thanks jeff    Phone :  503-319-7575 anytime - if you want to call

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

02-20-2016, 07:29 PM #2
Welcome to the forum. The biggest gain you will see is by adjusting the injection pump. And I don't think I'd mess with cam timing if your chain has no stretch in it. All of the items you have done already are good maintence items and I'm sure brought it back to life a little, but the biggest Change you can make is adjusting the pump. It will really come to life with a bigger IP and a little bigger charger. These cars are nothing like turning up a cat or cummins though.

If you have a decent understanding of injection pumps I have a document written by om616 that does an excellent job explaining how the pumps work. I've been tossing around the idea of talking to my pump guy about throwing a 10mm pump together for my 617. Some DT466 use the same Bosch MW injection pump but with 10mm B&P vs the Mercedes wimpy 5.5mm.

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
02-20-2016, 07:29 PM #2

Welcome to the forum. The biggest gain you will see is by adjusting the injection pump. And I don't think I'd mess with cam timing if your chain has no stretch in it. All of the items you have done already are good maintence items and I'm sure brought it back to life a little, but the biggest Change you can make is adjusting the pump. It will really come to life with a bigger IP and a little bigger charger. These cars are nothing like turning up a cat or cummins though.

If you have a decent understanding of injection pumps I have a document written by om616 that does an excellent job explaining how the pumps work. I've been tossing around the idea of talking to my pump guy about throwing a 10mm pump together for my 617. Some DT466 use the same Bosch MW injection pump but with 10mm B&P vs the Mercedes wimpy 5.5mm.

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

kestreltom
GT2256V

02-23-2016, 07:31 PM #3
(02-20-2016, 07:29 PM)MFSuper90 ...
If you have a decent understanding of injection pumps I have a document written by om616 that does an excellent job explaining how the pumps work.

Indeed... Welcome!

I concur with MFSuper90 that you can tune these cars to run well in stock trim, and by turning up the torque capsule in the IP governor you can get a little more low end oomph... but the improvements are mild. Check out that document by OM616. Adding a few degrees of injection & valve timing boosts low end at the expense of the high end. Keep in mind these are mild cars. If you retrofit a superpump, then you will need a bigger turbo, a stronger transmission, stiffer springs, better brakes, thicker roll bars, etc...

1984 300D with Monark nozzles, GT2256V w/ Synkooppi/Arduino controller, W123 n/a intake, air/water intercooler, precup holes reamed, IP & valve timing = fac + 2 degrees, upgraded leather interior, 140A alternator, electric lift pump, 3" aluminum radiator w/ electric fan, HID headlight conversion, bilsteins, stock MW IP turned up 3 turns on tq module per OM616, 2.65 rear end, ventilated front rotors, dual rear swaybar mod + W116 springs  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zPSyCMkkk0
kestreltom
02-23-2016, 07:31 PM #3

(02-20-2016, 07:29 PM)MFSuper90 ...
If you have a decent understanding of injection pumps I have a document written by om616 that does an excellent job explaining how the pumps work.

Indeed... Welcome!

I concur with MFSuper90 that you can tune these cars to run well in stock trim, and by turning up the torque capsule in the IP governor you can get a little more low end oomph... but the improvements are mild. Check out that document by OM616. Adding a few degrees of injection & valve timing boosts low end at the expense of the high end. Keep in mind these are mild cars. If you retrofit a superpump, then you will need a bigger turbo, a stronger transmission, stiffer springs, better brakes, thicker roll bars, etc...

1984 300D with Monark nozzles, GT2256V w/ Synkooppi/Arduino controller, W123 n/a intake, air/water intercooler, precup holes reamed, IP & valve timing = fac + 2 degrees, upgraded leather interior, 140A alternator, electric lift pump, 3" aluminum radiator w/ electric fan, HID headlight conversion, bilsteins, stock MW IP turned up 3 turns on tq module per OM616, 2.65 rear end, ventilated front rotors, dual rear swaybar mod + W116 springs  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zPSyCMkkk0

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average