STD Tuning Engine Need help om602 ELR not working

Need help om602 ELR not working

Need help om602 ELR not working

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ponkokanada
Naturally-aspirated

02-01-2016, 10:06 AM #1
Hi All

I've recently bought a european import 1985 190d with the 2.5L N/A om602. Engine runs well, with no excessive smoke and good fuel mileage. Just over 200k miles on the clock.

The problem is that when engine is cold it won't start unless the throttle is pressed at least 25% down. The throttle pedal has to be held that way for 30+ seconds or else the engine will stall. For the fist couple of minutes engine runs quite rough but then it smooths out.

I have checked my glow plugs and they are all ok. Although I have no way of knowing exact idle RPM (car does not have a tach) I believe my ELR system is dead because unplugging the ELR relay makes no difference on engine RPM, cold or warm.

I've replaced the ELR relay with a spare I had and there is still no difference. I've tested the crank sensor to be OK (more than 5V AC at idle and goes up to almost 18V at high revs). I also tried to test the ELR actuator itself by very briefly applying 12v to it as the manual says. What puzzles me is that instead of increasing, the engine RPM seems to drop when the coil is energized. I pulled the actuator off and tested on the bench, the plunger gets pushed out when voltage applied as it should.

Can anyone explain why the RPM drops with ELR energized? also what more can I do to test why ELR doesn't seem to work on its own? I tried to find wiring diagrams for the system to be able to troubleshoot more but I had no luck.
ponkokanada
02-01-2016, 10:06 AM #1

Hi All

I've recently bought a european import 1985 190d with the 2.5L N/A om602. Engine runs well, with no excessive smoke and good fuel mileage. Just over 200k miles on the clock.

The problem is that when engine is cold it won't start unless the throttle is pressed at least 25% down. The throttle pedal has to be held that way for 30+ seconds or else the engine will stall. For the fist couple of minutes engine runs quite rough but then it smooths out.

I have checked my glow plugs and they are all ok. Although I have no way of knowing exact idle RPM (car does not have a tach) I believe my ELR system is dead because unplugging the ELR relay makes no difference on engine RPM, cold or warm.

I've replaced the ELR relay with a spare I had and there is still no difference. I've tested the crank sensor to be OK (more than 5V AC at idle and goes up to almost 18V at high revs). I also tried to test the ELR actuator itself by very briefly applying 12v to it as the manual says. What puzzles me is that instead of increasing, the engine RPM seems to drop when the coil is energized. I pulled the actuator off and tested on the bench, the plunger gets pushed out when voltage applied as it should.

Can anyone explain why the RPM drops with ELR energized? also what more can I do to test why ELR doesn't seem to work on its own? I tried to find wiring diagrams for the system to be able to troubleshoot more but I had no luck.

uli124125
TA 0301

02-01-2016, 11:02 AM #2
hy
perhaps the magnet ist damaged?
look if there is electricity on the plug by the magnet
uli124125
02-01-2016, 11:02 AM #2

hy
perhaps the magnet ist damaged?
look if there is electricity on the plug by the magnet

ponkokanada
Naturally-aspirated

02-01-2016, 01:21 PM #3
I checked wire continuity between the ELR relay socket and the connector going to the electromagnet. It is OK. When the car runs the multimeter does not detect any voltage going to the ELR connector.
ponkokanada
02-01-2016, 01:21 PM #3

I checked wire continuity between the ELR relay socket and the connector going to the electromagnet. It is OK. When the car runs the multimeter does not detect any voltage going to the ELR connector.

barrote
Superturbo

02-01-2016, 03:22 PM #4
na... naana ... that is not a ELR problem, remember the system only actuates when engine core temp is below 28ºC ....
or in case your car has a A/C hooked at it and or take off assistance, wich being a w201 is hard to belive...
most probably u have a IP situation , wich one is will take assle to find out....
anyway try to actuate by hand the idle increase, take a screw driver and push it in the place were the actuator should push.
if your car is fitted with a ARA device make sure they were not interchanged , ELR is black or red cover.
then try to open the side of the pump , with the engine stopped the rack should be half travel , when the engine fires it reduces, will travel in the direction of the rear of the pump,
if the rack is aft and only goes fwd with throtle on , u may start disantling the IP ...
post back i´ll try to help u

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
02-01-2016, 03:22 PM #4

na... naana ... that is not a ELR problem, remember the system only actuates when engine core temp is below 28ºC ....
or in case your car has a A/C hooked at it and or take off assistance, wich being a w201 is hard to belive...
most probably u have a IP situation , wich one is will take assle to find out....
anyway try to actuate by hand the idle increase, take a screw driver and push it in the place were the actuator should push.
if your car is fitted with a ARA device make sure they were not interchanged , ELR is black or red cover.
then try to open the side of the pump , with the engine stopped the rack should be half travel , when the engine fires it reduces, will travel in the direction of the rear of the pump,
if the rack is aft and only goes fwd with throtle on , u may start disantling the IP ...
post back i´ll try to help u

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

ponkokanada
Naturally-aspirated

02-02-2016, 08:22 AM #5
The car did come with factory AC but the compressor has been removed, the "KLIMA" relay is still present. I understand that the ELR shoudl only bump idle when engine is cold but it also works to stabilize the idle all the time doesn't it?

When you say try to actuate by hand, do you mean pull the ELR actuator off the IP and just press in where the actuator should?

I don't think I could do that because the actuator on my pump is placed on the very bottom and once taken off all of the oil drains from the IP so I don't imagine I could have the engine running like that.  See the photo below (not picture of my pump but one exactly like it)

I am not familiar with ARA can you explain?

Suppose the IP has an issue with rack providing start up enrichment is that something that is adjustable/repairable by someone who's never worked on IP before? Am I better off just replacing the IP if I can have a used one for under $200?
ponkokanada
02-02-2016, 08:22 AM #5

The car did come with factory AC but the compressor has been removed, the "KLIMA" relay is still present. I understand that the ELR shoudl only bump idle when engine is cold but it also works to stabilize the idle all the time doesn't it?

When you say try to actuate by hand, do you mean pull the ELR actuator off the IP and just press in where the actuator should?

I don't think I could do that because the actuator on my pump is placed on the very bottom and once taken off all of the oil drains from the IP so I don't imagine I could have the engine running like that.  See the photo below (not picture of my pump but one exactly like it)

I am not familiar with ARA can you explain?

Suppose the IP has an issue with rack providing start up enrichment is that something that is adjustable/repairable by someone who's never worked on IP before? Am I better off just replacing the IP if I can have a used one for under $200?

Duncansport
Holset

02-02-2016, 08:45 AM #6
I may be wrong here, but the actuator on the bottom is the ARA and not the ELR, it's used as an anti jerking device for manual transmission cars. So activating it would indeed cause a reduction in engine speed (as long as i understand it correctly)

I've attached a link describing it in a bit more detail.

http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...1-1856.pdf
Duncansport
02-02-2016, 08:45 AM #6

I may be wrong here, but the actuator on the bottom is the ARA and not the ELR, it's used as an anti jerking device for manual transmission cars. So activating it would indeed cause a reduction in engine speed (as long as i understand it correctly)

I've attached a link describing it in a bit more detail.

http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...1-1856.pdf

Duncansport
Holset

barrote
Superturbo

02-02-2016, 09:24 AM #8
nananan, again u both of u are all wrong, sorry to say!!! Wink
the pump in the picture has a Pneumatic idle increase device, that is the vertical capsule, but the cover has the place where the ELR could be assembled, but inside there is no push pin for it, in that pump above the idle increase is atained by adding vac to the capsule. turning the capsule out will increase idle speed , til a certain amount.
the ARA device in the botom , grey colour, when energized moves the rack limitation to a "less rack" position than it is aloud to be when not energized, basically cuts fueling directly on the rack, by implication cuts fuel on acceleration and on the torque capsule ability.
anty jerk , well it may help but, only in stock pumps .... kiling the jerk is like turning a square in a circle maintaining the same área. Wink

basically u can run the engine with the back cover off, u might loose half a liter of oil after one hour , nothing much.
if your pump is like the one in the picture , u have to see if it does react to vac in the capsule. if it does it might be a piping problem or the temp switch.
if not do as i said , watch the rack from engine stop , it should exibit at 1.5 cm movement when it fires .

changing the pump .... maybe but most pumps on junk yards are not in condition to install in a flick of a switch.

good luck

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
02-02-2016, 09:24 AM #8

nananan, again u both of u are all wrong, sorry to say!!! Wink
the pump in the picture has a Pneumatic idle increase device, that is the vertical capsule, but the cover has the place where the ELR could be assembled, but inside there is no push pin for it, in that pump above the idle increase is atained by adding vac to the capsule. turning the capsule out will increase idle speed , til a certain amount.
the ARA device in the botom , grey colour, when energized moves the rack limitation to a "less rack" position than it is aloud to be when not energized, basically cuts fueling directly on the rack, by implication cuts fuel on acceleration and on the torque capsule ability.
anty jerk , well it may help but, only in stock pumps .... kiling the jerk is like turning a square in a circle maintaining the same área. Wink

basically u can run the engine with the back cover off, u might loose half a liter of oil after one hour , nothing much.
if your pump is like the one in the picture , u have to see if it does react to vac in the capsule. if it does it might be a piping problem or the temp switch.
if not do as i said , watch the rack from engine stop , it should exibit at 1.5 cm movement when it fires .

changing the pump .... maybe but most pumps on junk yards are not in condition to install in a flick of a switch.

good luck

FD,