STD Tuning Engine Intercooler question.

Intercooler question.

Intercooler question.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Whatever
W124 OM603.960

01-24-2016, 10:53 PM #1
Hey guys i was wonder if there would be any benefit of putting a intercooler on a stock om603. Thanks.
Whatever
01-24-2016, 10:53 PM #1

Hey guys i was wonder if there would be any benefit of putting a intercooler on a stock om603. Thanks.

starynovy
Holset

01-25-2016, 03:00 AM #2
Not much if you won´t raise boost=IAT temp. or fueling to get use of more cold air you suck in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex: 525tds 130kW, C250TD 160kW, E320CDI 200kW, ML400CDI 230kW, A6 R5TDI 130kW
Now: Q7 V8TDI 240kW, 320d 150kW, 335d 210kW
starynovy
01-25-2016, 03:00 AM #2

Not much if you won´t raise boost=IAT temp. or fueling to get use of more cold air you suck in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever
W124 OM603.960

01-25-2016, 03:56 AM #3
(01-25-2016, 03:00 AM)starynovy Not much if you won´t raise boost=IAT temp. or fueling to get use of more cold air you suck in.

Well if i do keep the stock IP and intercooler it how much more boost do you think it can put out. I have the choice between the stock KKK or Garrett and i think i read somewhere that the Garrett can handle more boost with a intercooler.
This post was last modified: 01-25-2016, 03:57 AM by Whatever.
Whatever
01-25-2016, 03:56 AM #3

(01-25-2016, 03:00 AM)starynovy Not much if you won´t raise boost=IAT temp. or fueling to get use of more cold air you suck in.

Well if i do keep the stock IP and intercooler it how much more boost do you think it can put out. I have the choice between the stock KKK or Garrett and i think i read somewhere that the Garrett can handle more boost with a intercooler.

starynovy
Holset

01-25-2016, 04:24 AM #4
Hmm what?  Rolleyes Intercooler has nothing to do with how much pressure can turbo take, this is given by turbos properties. Also why do you want to increase boost if there is no more fuel added? Diesel engine does not produce power from air and your stock one runs so lean from factory that there is no benefit in raising boost, you have plenty even if you raised fueling by a little.

starynovy
01-25-2016, 04:24 AM #4

Hmm what?  Rolleyes Intercooler has nothing to do with how much pressure can turbo take, this is given by turbos properties. Also why do you want to increase boost if there is no more fuel added? Diesel engine does not produce power from air and your stock one runs so lean from factory that there is no benefit in raising boost, you have plenty even if you raised fueling by a little.

Whatever
W124 OM603.960

01-25-2016, 06:01 AM #5
(01-25-2016, 04:24 AM)starynovy Hmm what?  Rolleyes Intercooler has nothing to do with how much pressure can turbo take, this is given by turbos properties. Also why do you want to increase boost if there is no more fuel added? Diesel engine does not produce power from air and your stock one runs so lean from factory that there is no benefit in raising boost, you have plenty even if you raised fueling by a little.

Ok sorry kind of new to this whole thing thanks for clearing it up.
Whatever
01-25-2016, 06:01 AM #5

(01-25-2016, 04:24 AM)starynovy Hmm what?  Rolleyes Intercooler has nothing to do with how much pressure can turbo take, this is given by turbos properties. Also why do you want to increase boost if there is no more fuel added? Diesel engine does not produce power from air and your stock one runs so lean from factory that there is no benefit in raising boost, you have plenty even if you raised fueling by a little.

m1tch
GT2559V

01-25-2016, 07:48 AM #6
(01-25-2016, 06:01 AM)Whatever

An intercooler is a way to cool down the intake temperature of the air going into the engine, a turbo, being a compressor, heats up the air as its compressed. Hotter air is less dense and you wouldn't make as much power vs a cooler intake charge due to the cooler intake charge having more oxygen to burn with the fuel.

Some turbocharged cars don't have intercoolers, but these are usually lower powered models where they aren't stressing the turbo too much, this reduces the cost of needing to fit an intercooler as standard to some cars.

All turbos have what is known as an 'efficiency island' where at a certain boost level the turbo is compressing the air efficiently, if you push the boost higher then it is less efficient which will then lead to the air being compressed more and therefore have a higher temperature - basically if you push a small turbo hard you will get high intake temperatures.

If you are looking to tune your engine then I would suggest looking to fit an intercooler or uprate the standard one (not sure if your engine is turbocharged as standard) - this will give you more headroom in the future to ensure that the intake temps are good.

If you are looking to tweak the pump and increase fueling I would suggest looking to get an EGT probe and gauge - exhaust gas temperature as this is more critical on a diesel as if the engine runs too rich with too much fuel the exhaust gas temps get too high and things start to melt.

I would suggest looking into supporting mods first before increasing the power too much - look at the oil and water cooling as well as any transmission issues you might have etc.

Hope that helps.
m1tch
01-25-2016, 07:48 AM #6

(01-25-2016, 06:01 AM)Whatever

An intercooler is a way to cool down the intake temperature of the air going into the engine, a turbo, being a compressor, heats up the air as its compressed. Hotter air is less dense and you wouldn't make as much power vs a cooler intake charge due to the cooler intake charge having more oxygen to burn with the fuel.

Some turbocharged cars don't have intercoolers, but these are usually lower powered models where they aren't stressing the turbo too much, this reduces the cost of needing to fit an intercooler as standard to some cars.

All turbos have what is known as an 'efficiency island' where at a certain boost level the turbo is compressing the air efficiently, if you push the boost higher then it is less efficient which will then lead to the air being compressed more and therefore have a higher temperature - basically if you push a small turbo hard you will get high intake temperatures.

If you are looking to tune your engine then I would suggest looking to fit an intercooler or uprate the standard one (not sure if your engine is turbocharged as standard) - this will give you more headroom in the future to ensure that the intake temps are good.

If you are looking to tweak the pump and increase fueling I would suggest looking to get an EGT probe and gauge - exhaust gas temperature as this is more critical on a diesel as if the engine runs too rich with too much fuel the exhaust gas temps get too high and things start to melt.

I would suggest looking into supporting mods first before increasing the power too much - look at the oil and water cooling as well as any transmission issues you might have etc.

Hope that helps.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average