STD Tuning Engine Is this the correct RS203 IP for my 606 STD project?

Is this the correct RS203 IP for my 606 STD project?

Is this the correct RS203 IP for my 606 STD project?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

bergwerk
Naturally-aspirated

01-12-2016, 07:17 AM #1
Hey guys,

few months ago, I decided to build a 606 STD and I've been reading in these holy halls since then. I want to build a w124 or w126 with 400-500hp (and not too much smoke since I live in Germany [Image: wink.gif] )    

I'm on the lookout for a IP and found two RS203 which I could buy. I am just not absolutely sure, if they are the best suitable.

Could you please tell me which one I should pick and if they are the correct pump types?

I could get a OM606.910 NA (the pump has a yellow/silver/red numberplate and is a RS203) for about 600 euro, it's missing the intake manifold, generator and starter.

Or just a pump alone, same dealer. Don't know about the price yet. He says this pump has not been used (!)...

The numberplate says:
PES 6M 55C 320 RS203

Sorry for the bad quality pictures, but that's all he sent me. Maybe I could get better ones.

I'd rather buy the pump alone because shipping would be way cheaper of course. And I don't need a gutted 606NA engine lying around [Image: wink.gif]

Thanks guys!
Attached Files
Image(s)

bergwerk
01-12-2016, 07:17 AM #1

Hey guys,

few months ago, I decided to build a 606 STD and I've been reading in these holy halls since then. I want to build a w124 or w126 with 400-500hp (and not too much smoke since I live in Germany [Image: wink.gif] )    

I'm on the lookout for a IP and found two RS203 which I could buy. I am just not absolutely sure, if they are the best suitable.

Could you please tell me which one I should pick and if they are the correct pump types?

I could get a OM606.910 NA (the pump has a yellow/silver/red numberplate and is a RS203) for about 600 euro, it's missing the intake manifold, generator and starter.

Or just a pump alone, same dealer. Don't know about the price yet. He says this pump has not been used (!)...

The numberplate says:
PES 6M 55C 320 RS203

Sorry for the bad quality pictures, but that's all he sent me. Maybe I could get better ones.

I'd rather buy the pump alone because shipping would be way cheaper of course. And I don't need a gutted 606NA engine lying around [Image: wink.gif]

Thanks guys!

Attached Files
Image(s)

THE DIGGER
K26-2

01-12-2016, 08:59 AM #2
As far as i know the RS203 is the last and best of these pumps as it has bigger cam bearings etc, not sure what the gold cylinder is under the idle control on the back of the pump though its no on my rs203.
THE DIGGER
01-12-2016, 08:59 AM #2

As far as i know the RS203 is the last and best of these pumps as it has bigger cam bearings etc, not sure what the gold cylinder is under the idle control on the back of the pump though its no on my rs203.

barrote
Superturbo

01-12-2016, 02:39 PM #3
that is a good pump to start with, i personaly like better the rs201, but is the same ....inside the pump housing all of them have the same cam profile lift and so on ... the governor well is one of the last RSF made , and it has the max authority u need about~
22/23mm rack travel , u dont need more the pump can´t handle more.
just for u to be informed, that pump being from a 606 N/A is missing gadgets wich in my opinion are o very interest being one the EGR electric control and the EGR vac controll. i know u will not use the pump for a engine with serviceable EGR system but that can be used in the future to kick a VNT turbo and operate a booster pump.
that governor is fitted with a ADA capsule, wich can be replaced by a ALDA. (the capsule in the top)
the red electroactuator is called ELR electronic idle incresse, basically i fit it with PWM 10hz 7Volt current and your idle will increase for cold start , A/C, take of aid daddada and so on.
the botom grey electroactuator is feed the same , causes the rack to cut fuel , it is called ARA electronic anty-jerk system. it is used with the EGR system as well, and to reduce fueling in cruise.
the rest ia just like any other pump....
if u need help for elemento swap tuning and whatever , just PM me.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-12-2016, 02:39 PM #3

that is a good pump to start with, i personaly like better the rs201, but is the same ....inside the pump housing all of them have the same cam profile lift and so on ... the governor well is one of the last RSF made , and it has the max authority u need about~
22/23mm rack travel , u dont need more the pump can´t handle more.
just for u to be informed, that pump being from a 606 N/A is missing gadgets wich in my opinion are o very interest being one the EGR electric control and the EGR vac controll. i know u will not use the pump for a engine with serviceable EGR system but that can be used in the future to kick a VNT turbo and operate a booster pump.
that governor is fitted with a ADA capsule, wich can be replaced by a ALDA. (the capsule in the top)
the red electroactuator is called ELR electronic idle incresse, basically i fit it with PWM 10hz 7Volt current and your idle will increase for cold start , A/C, take of aid daddada and so on.
the botom grey electroactuator is feed the same , causes the rack to cut fuel , it is called ARA electronic anty-jerk system. it is used with the EGR system as well, and to reduce fueling in cruise.
the rest ia just like any other pump....
if u need help for elemento swap tuning and whatever , just PM me.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

bergwerk
Naturally-aspirated

01-12-2016, 04:56 PM #4
Thanks for the quick answers!
And thank you barrote for the detailed information on these pumps. There's still a lot to learn for me Wink
I just ordered the new pump.
I think it's a steal, considering that it's new (well, we'll see if it really is) and that it's not too easy to get these pumps even in germany.
bergwerk
01-12-2016, 04:56 PM #4

Thanks for the quick answers!
And thank you barrote for the detailed information on these pumps. There's still a lot to learn for me Wink
I just ordered the new pump.
I think it's a steal, considering that it's new (well, we'll see if it really is) and that it's not too easy to get these pumps even in germany.

barrote
Superturbo

01-12-2016, 05:39 PM #5
and what about now , u need elemento improvement how u plan to do that? if u need help just pm me for the numbers .
even here where things are expensive i belive i can find a 6 cyl core for 200€ or something, 5 cyl 150€ bunch of them ... even 50...
lol...
right time at the right junk yard hehhehe
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-12-2016, 05:39 PM #5

and what about now , u need elemento improvement how u plan to do that? if u need help just pm me for the numbers .
even here where things are expensive i belive i can find a 6 cyl core for 200€ or something, 5 cyl 150€ bunch of them ... even 50...
lol...
right time at the right junk yard hehhehe
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

bergwerk
Naturally-aspirated

01-13-2016, 05:12 AM #6
Thanks mate, at the moment I am busy restoring my 1984 Opel Kadett D (with 2,0 16V GSI engineswap), hence it'll be a while before I can go on (or even start) with the STD project. Also I have to wait for another moneytrain to pass by Wink

By the way. The pump really has never been used. The seller bought a bunch of new engines and pumps which were designated for the german army.

And wow, those are nice prices for these toys, barrote Wink lucky you
bergwerk
01-13-2016, 05:12 AM #6

Thanks mate, at the moment I am busy restoring my 1984 Opel Kadett D (with 2,0 16V GSI engineswap), hence it'll be a while before I can go on (or even start) with the STD project. Also I have to wait for another moneytrain to pass by Wink

By the way. The pump really has never been used. The seller bought a bunch of new engines and pumps which were designated for the german army.

And wow, those are nice prices for these toys, barrote Wink lucky you

barrote
Superturbo

01-13-2016, 07:01 AM #7
they are not new , used stuff wich can do the job.
since u buing new, u have to pay a litle more....
btw a 606 N/A by 600 is a pita... but need to be complete engine .... if not is expensive...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-13-2016, 07:01 AM #7

they are not new , used stuff wich can do the job.
since u buing new, u have to pay a litle more....
btw a 606 N/A by 600 is a pita... but need to be complete engine .... if not is expensive...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

maxypriest
Holset

01-13-2016, 08:51 AM #8
Have you any more of those pumps for sale?
Well worth looking closely at the anti jerk/bonanza effect module on the back of the pump and getting it to work, STD’s with jerk can be tricky to drive smoothly and if really bad it’s a pain in the a$$.

W124 om606 HX40 finished and it's a beauty 450bhp/456ft-lbs
maxypriest
01-13-2016, 08:51 AM #8

Have you any more of those pumps for sale?
Well worth looking closely at the anti jerk/bonanza effect module on the back of the pump and getting it to work, STD’s with jerk can be tricky to drive smoothly and if really bad it’s a pain in the a$$.

W124 om606 HX40 finished and it's a beauty 450bhp/456ft-lbs

bergwerk
Naturally-aspirated

01-13-2016, 09:01 AM #9
If you meant me, maxypriest, I have to disappoint you. I asked the seller if he had some more pumps but the one I bought was the last.

Okay, I don't know anything about the anti jerk module, but I guess I gotta dig in to that.
bergwerk
01-13-2016, 09:01 AM #9

If you meant me, maxypriest, I have to disappoint you. I asked the seller if he had some more pumps but the one I bought was the last.

Okay, I don't know anything about the anti jerk module, but I guess I gotta dig in to that.

barrote
Superturbo

01-13-2016, 02:55 PM #10
the jerking is related to clutches not the pump...hehhe . there´s nothing we can do to avoid it besides avoiding boost below 2000rpm. or a auto trans.!!!!

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-13-2016, 02:55 PM #10

the jerking is related to clutches not the pump...hehhe . there´s nothing we can do to avoid it besides avoiding boost below 2000rpm. or a auto trans.!!!!

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

01-13-2016, 04:37 PM #11
Maybe, but the pump does the counterpart... If it does. I think 90% of the anti-jerk ECUs are toast anyway... But there's a mechanical version that was dealer fitted to early manual cars (if customer complained), before the electronic version was developed. Sort of a emergency band-aid, but it does work!

[Image: mecha-ara.jpg]

The clutch is not the big problem, the main problem ist the soft mounting of the 124 engines which resonates and causes this jerking. Using the right clutch can help, yes. But all in all: it's a shit construction Big Grin anyway, this thing reduces throttle with engine lean - it does an OK job, but if you'r not used to manual transmissions, you can still get it to jerk... But not many people know this, it's a very rare sight these days.

Or just use a W123 - never a problem with jerking... Big Grin
This post was last modified: 01-13-2016, 04:39 PM by DiseaselWeasel.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
01-13-2016, 04:37 PM #11

Maybe, but the pump does the counterpart... If it does. I think 90% of the anti-jerk ECUs are toast anyway... But there's a mechanical version that was dealer fitted to early manual cars (if customer complained), before the electronic version was developed. Sort of a emergency band-aid, but it does work!

[Image: mecha-ara.jpg]

The clutch is not the big problem, the main problem ist the soft mounting of the 124 engines which resonates and causes this jerking. Using the right clutch can help, yes. But all in all: it's a shit construction Big Grin anyway, this thing reduces throttle with engine lean - it does an OK job, but if you'r not used to manual transmissions, you can still get it to jerk... But not many people know this, it's a very rare sight these days.

Or just use a W123 - never a problem with jerking... Big Grin

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

atypicalguy
Holset

01-14-2016, 05:27 AM #12
Any of the pump builders have suitable cores for 300 euros or so I think. If you are planning to build your own and save money they it makes sense to buy a core, but if you plan to send it for rebuild anyway I am not sure what the advantage is because you spend $100 euros to ship the core to them.

Good luck with your project and post some more photos along the way!
atypicalguy
01-14-2016, 05:27 AM #12

Any of the pump builders have suitable cores for 300 euros or so I think. If you are planning to build your own and save money they it makes sense to buy a core, but if you plan to send it for rebuild anyway I am not sure what the advantage is because you spend $100 euros to ship the core to them.

Good luck with your project and post some more photos along the way!

barrote
Superturbo

01-14-2016, 05:58 AM #13
well, i lost many hours digging on the jerking thing , and come out to nothing, my car has a anty jerk controler, wich long ago stoped working. it start to jerking really hard after the 6mm 90cc swap, and became worst with 7.5mm 150cc.
interesting thing is when engine is cold, it does not jerk or at least is not so visible , starting to agravate after really hot. (one hour driving)
other interesting fact is , the jerking can be almost eliminated with retarding the pump timing but it does not really dissapear. IP Throtle Damper helps , so basically the pump retarded and a good damper the jerking goes almost away.
Clutch , now i have a W202 2.5TD stock clutch wich jerks a litle, before i had a single mass from a M104 , that thing when hot jesus was imposible do drive slow.
Boost, recently my GT 23 got with vanes stuck , and basically was not building boost at low rpm, sudennly the jerking disapeared,

Then i concluded , that the jerking has to do with the inability of the clutch to dampend properly the harmonic vibration gnerated by the power pulses of the engine, and once it crosses the resonant harmonic it starts to increase amplitude. This can be even amplified by a defective (inexistance) IP throtle damper, associated with the fact that the pump already has a cernain inability to manintain regulated variable speed, due to the fine control needed over the element. This fine control can be best achieved in the 5.5mm one but will be desastrous in the 7.5mm version.

I agree with mr dieselweasel, in all u said. and i would like to discuss this matter deeper with u.
regards

FD,