STD Tuning Engine Anyone running exhaust cutout valves?

Anyone running exhaust cutout valves?

Anyone running exhaust cutout valves?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

m1tch
GT2559V

01-07-2016, 03:12 AM #1
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone was running an exhaust cutout valve at all, if so what size did you go for and how are you finding it?
m1tch
01-07-2016, 03:12 AM #1

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone was running an exhaust cutout valve at all, if so what size did you go for and how are you finding it?

barrote
Superturbo

01-07-2016, 03:29 AM #2
i´m installing 2mm wider for intake and 1,5mm wider in exaust, in a 605 head
not finished yet, dont think it can be done with wider than that... i´ll see if it worth the assle and the Money....
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-07-2016, 03:29 AM #2

i´m installing 2mm wider for intake and 1,5mm wider in exaust, in a 605 head
not finished yet, dont think it can be done with wider than that... i´ll see if it worth the assle and the Money....
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

m1tch
GT2559V

01-07-2016, 03:40 AM #3
I mean the exhaust cutout valves for the exhaust system - planning on going for a 3" system so I can swap between a 3" unrestricted exhaust and the stock 2.5" system.
m1tch
01-07-2016, 03:40 AM #3

I mean the exhaust cutout valves for the exhaust system - planning on going for a 3" system so I can swap between a 3" unrestricted exhaust and the stock 2.5" system.

barrote
Superturbo

01-07-2016, 08:07 AM #4
and why u want to mess with that, may i ask?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-07-2016, 08:07 AM #4

and why u want to mess with that, may i ask?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

m1tch
GT2559V

01-07-2016, 08:15 AM #5
(01-07-2016, 08:07 AM)barrote and why u want to mess with that, may i ask?

So I can run the full stock system on the road, then open the valve to run basically an unrestricted dump pipe from the back of the turbo when doing drag runs.
m1tch
01-07-2016, 08:15 AM #5

(01-07-2016, 08:07 AM)barrote and why u want to mess with that, may i ask?

So I can run the full stock system on the road, then open the valve to run basically an unrestricted dump pipe from the back of the turbo when doing drag runs.

barrote
Superturbo

01-07-2016, 08:34 AM #6
i see...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-07-2016, 08:34 AM #6

i see...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Duncansport
Holset

01-07-2016, 09:07 AM #7
(01-07-2016, 08:34 AM)barrote i see...

http://www.moparmax.com/tech/2012/vii_7-cutout-4.html
Duncansport
01-07-2016, 09:07 AM #7

(01-07-2016, 08:34 AM)barrote i see...

http://www.moparmax.com/tech/2012/vii_7-cutout-4.html

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

01-07-2016, 10:25 AM #8
For extra rice horse power?

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
01-07-2016, 10:25 AM #8

For extra rice horse power?

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

01-07-2016, 12:18 PM #9
Many modern "performance" cars have those (inside the mufflers). That's where the fart noises come from on modern cars Big Grin

Though many on here fit "straight pipes" without receiving negative feedback... This makes it switchable. So? I've once tried a pipe instead of the oxidation catalyst (which I need for tax reasons) - the result was a notably faster spool (stock engine, stock turbo, stock mufflers). Not more power, but "better" power, if that makes sense. And you could hear the turbine whistling after this mod. So, I can imagine that cutting off the silencer(s) might yield even better results. On the other hand - the difference was all but spectacular...........

But would I fit a valve in there? I can't imagine this working well (heat expansion, soot) for a prolonged time... And then there's that noise thing. It's just not polite. Yeah yeah, race trac, private roads only etc. - we all know what that means ;-)
This post was last modified: 01-07-2016, 12:19 PM by DiseaselWeasel.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
01-07-2016, 12:18 PM #9

Many modern "performance" cars have those (inside the mufflers). That's where the fart noises come from on modern cars Big Grin

Though many on here fit "straight pipes" without receiving negative feedback... This makes it switchable. So? I've once tried a pipe instead of the oxidation catalyst (which I need for tax reasons) - the result was a notably faster spool (stock engine, stock turbo, stock mufflers). Not more power, but "better" power, if that makes sense. And you could hear the turbine whistling after this mod. So, I can imagine that cutting off the silencer(s) might yield even better results. On the other hand - the difference was all but spectacular...........

But would I fit a valve in there? I can't imagine this working well (heat expansion, soot) for a prolonged time... And then there's that noise thing. It's just not polite. Yeah yeah, race trac, private roads only etc. - we all know what that means ;-)

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

m1tch
GT2559V

01-07-2016, 01:51 PM #10
(01-07-2016, 12:18 PM)DiseaselWeasel Many modern "performance" cars have those (inside the mufflers). That's where the fart noises come from on modern cars Big Grin

I am running my W210 debackboxed which does make a difference with the spool, on the road I need to have the cat fitted, however on the track I obviously want to have little restriction to give a faster spool. The issue I have is that I need to drive to the track in the car so I thought about installing one of these in the downpipe - this will mean that for every day driving I will be running the car through the stock system and have the cat for MOT reasons. Then when I get to the track I can then open the valve so that its simply a pipe going from the back of the turbo down which will give me the extra exhaust flow I would want for a quicker spool.

Even with a straight through system there will still be restriction considering its got quite a bit of pipework to go through, plus I would still need to have the cat in place. If I install a cutout valve in the downpipe this will allow me to bypass the cat when I need to for off road events, then close it up when I drive home.
m1tch
01-07-2016, 01:51 PM #10

(01-07-2016, 12:18 PM)DiseaselWeasel Many modern "performance" cars have those (inside the mufflers). That's where the fart noises come from on modern cars Big Grin

I am running my W210 debackboxed which does make a difference with the spool, on the road I need to have the cat fitted, however on the track I obviously want to have little restriction to give a faster spool. The issue I have is that I need to drive to the track in the car so I thought about installing one of these in the downpipe - this will mean that for every day driving I will be running the car through the stock system and have the cat for MOT reasons. Then when I get to the track I can then open the valve so that its simply a pipe going from the back of the turbo down which will give me the extra exhaust flow I would want for a quicker spool.

Even with a straight through system there will still be restriction considering its got quite a bit of pipework to go through, plus I would still need to have the cat in place. If I install a cutout valve in the downpipe this will allow me to bypass the cat when I need to for off road events, then close it up when I drive home.

Sultzi
GT2256V

01-07-2016, 03:25 PM #11
I will be driving om606 compound with 3" vacuum operated cutout controlled by olefejers gearbox controller to open the valve at certain amount of boost and tps. Also will have switch to take it off completely or open it.

Would be nice to see how this genuine chinese made stainless valve works, they don't recommend it to diesel.
[Image: exhaust-control-valve-set-cutout-3-76mm-pipe.jpg]
Sultzi
01-07-2016, 03:25 PM #11

I will be driving om606 compound with 3" vacuum operated cutout controlled by olefejers gearbox controller to open the valve at certain amount of boost and tps. Also will have switch to take it off completely or open it.

Would be nice to see how this genuine chinese made stainless valve works, they don't recommend it to diesel.
[Image: exhaust-control-valve-set-cutout-3-76mm-pipe.jpg]

m1tch
GT2559V

01-07-2016, 04:34 PM #12
Thanks for that, I didn't know there was a boost actuated version, that might be really quite useful when connected into the vac/boost lines to open at a certain boost level, although saying that the valve would be open to be able to build boost quicker rather than after boost.

I have seen large bore throttle bodies being used before as well.
m1tch
01-07-2016, 04:34 PM #12

Thanks for that, I didn't know there was a boost actuated version, that might be really quite useful when connected into the vac/boost lines to open at a certain boost level, although saying that the valve would be open to be able to build boost quicker rather than after boost.

I have seen large bore throttle bodies being used before as well.

Tito
Holset

01-07-2016, 05:09 PM #13
(01-07-2016, 01:51 PM)m1tch

You could just whack out the inside guts from the cat with a crowbar or something. No one will ever notice from the outside.
Tito
01-07-2016, 05:09 PM #13

(01-07-2016, 01:51 PM)m1tch

You could just whack out the inside guts from the cat with a crowbar or something. No one will ever notice from the outside.

hents99
GT2256V

01-08-2016, 03:00 AM #14
I use 2x 60mm chinese stainless valves like in picture on my 190e 16v turbo.
Only way to get noise lower with straight through pipe.
Vacuum closing valves.

I will try 3" valve on my g wagen with om606. Opens with pressure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.elbe.ee - MB performance parts.
hents99
01-08-2016, 03:00 AM #14

I use 2x 60mm chinese stainless valves like in picture on my 190e 16v turbo.
Only way to get noise lower with straight through pipe.
Vacuum closing valves.

I will try 3" valve on my g wagen with om606. Opens with pressure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.elbe.ee - MB performance parts.

m1tch
GT2559V

01-08-2016, 03:19 AM #15
The issue I have on my car as its a UK spec is that the steering column is in the way so there isn't a huge amount of space down that side, might just look at those manual ones or just get a Y pipe and block off one side, I won't be needing to use it on the road. Also it would be quite hard to rod the cat owing to the fact its quite an odd design in the downpipe as it has to initially curve around the steering rack, the stock exhaust system is only there to get to and from the track really (and get past an MOT).

I will think of a few options, will be a couple of months until I get the turbo added onto the insurance when its renewed so have some time to think, I just know I am going to need as little restriction as possible owing to the size of the turbo.
m1tch
01-08-2016, 03:19 AM #15

The issue I have on my car as its a UK spec is that the steering column is in the way so there isn't a huge amount of space down that side, might just look at those manual ones or just get a Y pipe and block off one side, I won't be needing to use it on the road. Also it would be quite hard to rod the cat owing to the fact its quite an odd design in the downpipe as it has to initially curve around the steering rack, the stock exhaust system is only there to get to and from the track really (and get past an MOT).

I will think of a few options, will be a couple of months until I get the turbo added onto the insurance when its renewed so have some time to think, I just know I am going to need as little restriction as possible owing to the size of the turbo.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average