STD Tuning Drivetrain Are the w126 - w123 - w116 - w114/115 diff's the same?

Are the w126 - w123 - w116 - w114/115 diff's the same?

Are the w126 - w123 - w116 - w114/115 diff's the same?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tito
Holset

01-03-2016, 02:34 PM #1
Hello guys.

I've read somewhere some of the old mercedes diff's are interchangeable? If so what do you guys think is the best?
Its going to be mounted on a W114 with OM606 and 722.6 E55 AMG gearbox. It must be able to handle some power. However I have very little knowledge about diff's and driveshaft's. 

If I have to guess, my best option would be a W126 V8 diff because they probably stronger? with a nice 1:3 ratio? Hoping they have some kind of diff-lock in them? With the matching prop shaft and axles to the wheels. And again, hoping that the axles fit the wheel's lengthwise and with the splines at the wheels. Probably not. The w126 is wider I can imagine. 

The car was a w114 200 petrol engine. So I basically don't want to use anything from the original parts. But... if the axles are all the same than I guess I could use those?

Edit: The w114 most powerful engine was a L6 2.8L engine with 185hp. So definably don't want to rely on anything stock.
This post was last modified: 01-03-2016, 02:39 PM by Tito.
Tito
01-03-2016, 02:34 PM #1

Hello guys.

I've read somewhere some of the old mercedes diff's are interchangeable? If so what do you guys think is the best?
Its going to be mounted on a W114 with OM606 and 722.6 E55 AMG gearbox. It must be able to handle some power. However I have very little knowledge about diff's and driveshaft's. 

If I have to guess, my best option would be a W126 V8 diff because they probably stronger? with a nice 1:3 ratio? Hoping they have some kind of diff-lock in them? With the matching prop shaft and axles to the wheels. And again, hoping that the axles fit the wheel's lengthwise and with the splines at the wheels. Probably not. The w126 is wider I can imagine. 

The car was a w114 200 petrol engine. So I basically don't want to use anything from the original parts. But... if the axles are all the same than I guess I could use those?

Edit: The w114 most powerful engine was a L6 2.8L engine with 185hp. So definably don't want to rely on anything stock.

Keino
GT2256V

01-03-2016, 02:45 PM #2
(01-03-2016, 02:34 PM)Tito Hello guys.

Diff's from R107, W116, W126 will fit your W114 up to 1985, then it's 2nd generation diffs on all those chassies, those do not fit.
You can keep your 2 driveshafts, just switch the diff. Maybe you will need other "spacers", those washers that's between the driveshaft and the diff.
Hopefully you will get the 2 that fits with the diff you buy.  

You will need to change the yoke to the one on your current diff. Unless you change the whole cardan axle.
Keino
01-03-2016, 02:45 PM #2

(01-03-2016, 02:34 PM)Tito Hello guys.

Diff's from R107, W116, W126 will fit your W114 up to 1985, then it's 2nd generation diffs on all those chassies, those do not fit.
You can keep your 2 driveshafts, just switch the diff. Maybe you will need other "spacers", those washers that's between the driveshaft and the diff.
Hopefully you will get the 2 that fits with the diff you buy.  

You will need to change the yoke to the one on your current diff. Unless you change the whole cardan axle.

Tito
Holset

01-03-2016, 03:20 PM #3
Thank you for your help!

Do you think the 2 driveshafts hold some power? like +500hp? Its suppose to be just a ancient low-power petrol car. They look beefy though....

Playing with the yokes is no problem. I can use a lathe and the E55 AMG gearbox has a 4-bolt pattern instead of a 3-bolt pattern. I need a stronger cardan. The stock petrol cardan is just soooo narrow. It will break I bet.
Tito
01-03-2016, 03:20 PM #3

Thank you for your help!

Do you think the 2 driveshafts hold some power? like +500hp? Its suppose to be just a ancient low-power petrol car. They look beefy though....

Playing with the yokes is no problem. I can use a lathe and the E55 AMG gearbox has a 4-bolt pattern instead of a 3-bolt pattern. I need a stronger cardan. The stock petrol cardan is just soooo narrow. It will break I bet.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average