STD Other Open Is this car worth it?

Is this car worth it?

Is this car worth it?

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

01-01-2016, 05:11 PM #1
Hey,

So I havent posted here in a while but I trust this community's opinion and hopefully you all can helpe me make a decision.

So my girlfriends lease is ending soon and we were going to go with the used car router. Shes in school and no longer works full time like she has so we can no longer afford an additional car payment.

My uncle has a 2000/2001 (unsure of year) BMW 328i with 144k miles on it.

He says hell let me have it for $1,000

some bad about it

It was in 1 accident and was repaired, the paint is a little faded.
The headliner is also a little worn and would probably need to be reapholstered.
-Im up to fixing this, looks like I can get some fabric on ebay for $40 and fix it with some glue and a free weekend.
-Speedo dosnt work, but I have done some research and apparently the speed sensor might be the culprit (not confirmed)

The good
-New Tires all around
-New Breaks
-New Radiator
-Regularly maintained (oil changes/services/alll the other basic stuff)
-New windshield
-Fully loaded for that year

some history about the car. daily driven while my uncles son went to school in SC, when he moved back home to NY they still drove the car regularly. Its been sitting for a few months in the driveway due to insurance/registration.

Heres an album of the car.

so far, mechanically its in decent shape, cosmetic, I can fix all that.

https://goo.gl/photos/Yz2toF6G2uJfkqS68

hope to hear your opinions.
Purplecomputer
01-01-2016, 05:11 PM #1

Hey,

So I havent posted here in a while but I trust this community's opinion and hopefully you all can helpe me make a decision.

So my girlfriends lease is ending soon and we were going to go with the used car router. Shes in school and no longer works full time like she has so we can no longer afford an additional car payment.

My uncle has a 2000/2001 (unsure of year) BMW 328i with 144k miles on it.

He says hell let me have it for $1,000

some bad about it

It was in 1 accident and was repaired, the paint is a little faded.
The headliner is also a little worn and would probably need to be reapholstered.
-Im up to fixing this, looks like I can get some fabric on ebay for $40 and fix it with some glue and a free weekend.
-Speedo dosnt work, but I have done some research and apparently the speed sensor might be the culprit (not confirmed)

The good
-New Tires all around
-New Breaks
-New Radiator
-Regularly maintained (oil changes/services/alll the other basic stuff)
-New windshield
-Fully loaded for that year

some history about the car. daily driven while my uncles son went to school in SC, when he moved back home to NY they still drove the car regularly. Its been sitting for a few months in the driveway due to insurance/registration.

Heres an album of the car.

so far, mechanically its in decent shape, cosmetic, I can fix all that.

https://goo.gl/photos/Yz2toF6G2uJfkqS68

hope to hear your opinions.

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

01-17-2016, 11:08 PM #2
If you can get a well maintained car from someone you trust for $1000, it's probably a good buy. I know there were a lot of BMW's over the years that were surprisingly unreliable and I'm not really familiar with them, but they seemed to have worked out most of the quirks with part updates, etc. I'm sure someone else is familiar with this chassis/engine combo and the pros/cons...

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
01-17-2016, 11:08 PM #2

If you can get a well maintained car from someone you trust for $1000, it's probably a good buy. I know there were a lot of BMW's over the years that were surprisingly unreliable and I'm not really familiar with them, but they seemed to have worked out most of the quirks with part updates, etc. I'm sure someone else is familiar with this chassis/engine combo and the pros/cons...

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62

hooblah
Holset

01-19-2016, 06:05 PM #3
For $1000 you could do a lot worse. The engines are generally pretty strong, although watch out for rust on the arches. They can suffer from VANOS issues, make sure you check the car out thoroughly. Another point to add is that the chassis likes to crack where the rear subframe bolts on. It's very common and BMW even do a repair kit for it which needs to be welded in.
hooblah
01-19-2016, 06:05 PM #3

For $1000 you could do a lot worse. The engines are generally pretty strong, although watch out for rust on the arches. They can suffer from VANOS issues, make sure you check the car out thoroughly. Another point to add is that the chassis likes to crack where the rear subframe bolts on. It's very common and BMW even do a repair kit for it which needs to be welded in.

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average