STD Maintenance General W123 climate control delete

W123 climate control delete

W123 climate control delete

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

12-20-2015, 11:23 AM #1
So basically I am tired of messing with the climate control. I am looking to simplify my system, and My car has the AC deleted, so that further simplifies the process. My actuators don't move, but it defrosts, puts heat out the vents and some on my feet so that's all I need. 

I'm am looking to put two switches in, one for fan speed and one for heater control. Does anyone have any insight on how the fan is controlled and how the heat is controlled?
I figure the fan is controlled by resistance, but I'm not sure
Any help is greatly appreciated!

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
12-20-2015, 11:23 AM #1

So basically I am tired of messing with the climate control. I am looking to simplify my system, and My car has the AC deleted, so that further simplifies the process. My actuators don't move, but it defrosts, puts heat out the vents and some on my feet so that's all I need. 

I'm am looking to put two switches in, one for fan speed and one for heater control. Does anyone have any insight on how the fan is controlled and how the heat is controlled?
I figure the fan is controlled by resistance, but I'm not sure
Any help is greatly appreciated!

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-03-2016, 06:47 PM #2
Well I tore into it a little today, and I am fairly confused. The Haynes manual is a terrible wiring diagram, and didn't help hardly any. I used a inline fuse to jump power to different terminals on the climate control head unit, and I got full blower power, but nothing else.

Is the box full of spring type resistor looking things adjust fan speed by resistance? I had 12v at the box when the fan was on high, but even unplugging it made no changes to fan speed.

I am slightly frustrated with this stupid climate control

MFSuper90
01-03-2016, 06:47 PM #2

Well I tore into it a little today, and I am fairly confused. The Haynes manual is a terrible wiring diagram, and didn't help hardly any. I used a inline fuse to jump power to different terminals on the climate control head unit, and I got full blower power, but nothing else.

Is the box full of spring type resistor looking things adjust fan speed by resistance? I had 12v at the box when the fan was on high, but even unplugging it made no changes to fan speed.

I am slightly frustrated with this stupid climate control

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

01-04-2016, 04:04 PM #3
I think fan speed goes through those coil things on the passenger inner fender in the engine compartment, but yeah the climate control box is ridiculous

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
01-04-2016, 04:04 PM #3

I think fan speed goes through those coil things on the passenger inner fender in the engine compartment, but yeah the climate control box is ridiculous

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-04-2016, 06:14 PM #4
(01-04-2016, 04:04 PM)sassparilla_kid I think fan speed goes through those coil things on the passenger inner fender in the engine compartment, but yeah the climate control box is ridiculous

I know they do as well! I got power there whenever I turn my fan on. I just gotta figure out what controls it

MFSuper90
01-04-2016, 06:14 PM #4

(01-04-2016, 04:04 PM)sassparilla_kid I think fan speed goes through those coil things on the passenger inner fender in the engine compartment, but yeah the climate control box is ridiculous

I know they do as well! I got power there whenever I turn my fan on. I just gotta figure out what controls it

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-08-2016, 10:50 PM #5
Making headway on this little project. I have found five or six wires coming out of the black box behind the glove compartment that power the different fan speeds. While figuring all this out I remembered about the aux heater pump. So I tried to read up on how it was controlled and found that it was controlled by a temperature sensor, but I can find this sensor?
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd like for the pump to kick on with the heater

MFSuper90
01-08-2016, 10:50 PM #5

Making headway on this little project. I have found five or six wires coming out of the black box behind the glove compartment that power the different fan speeds. While figuring all this out I remembered about the aux heater pump. So I tried to read up on how it was controlled and found that it was controlled by a temperature sensor, but I can find this sensor?
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd like for the pump to kick on with the heater

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

03-29-2017, 10:11 PM #6
I actually finished this project partially. I am using a switch to control my fan with 3 different speeds, but I never installed a valve to control the heat out put, but that's not a big deal to me. I can control the heat with my fan speeds. I will try to post pics soon

MFSuper90
03-29-2017, 10:11 PM #6

I actually finished this project partially. I am using a switch to control my fan with 3 different speeds, but I never installed a valve to control the heat out put, but that's not a big deal to me. I can control the heat with my fan speeds. I will try to post pics soon

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

03-30-2017, 12:20 PM #7
The aux pump likes to get gunked up and then burn out the system-make sure it's on a fuse. I'd just put it on a switch.

The monovalve in the engine bay-I forget which way it's wired, I *think* it closes when you give it power. Definitely want that working in the summer. I deleted mine when I was desperate in the winter, and even with the fan off it makes the cabin super hot.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
03-30-2017, 12:20 PM #7

The aux pump likes to get gunked up and then burn out the system-make sure it's on a fuse. I'd just put it on a switch.

The monovalve in the engine bay-I forget which way it's wired, I *think* it closes when you give it power. Definitely want that working in the summer. I deleted mine when I was desperate in the winter, and even with the fan off it makes the cabin super hot.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average