STD Tuning Engine New anti-lag system.

New anti-lag system.

New anti-lag system.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tito
Holset

12-05-2015, 12:25 PM #1
Hi guys. 

I just quickly wanted to share this new anti-lag system used by Volvo. 
Although... New? I've seen people here thinking about using propane in their manifold. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPeQG40sI4

Volvo uses a pump, but I was thinking using the overboost or back pressure for the pressure tank. 
Maybe the AC compressor could be used. 

Ideas?
This post was last modified: 12-05-2015, 12:27 PM by Tito.
Tito
12-05-2015, 12:25 PM #1

Hi guys. 

I just quickly wanted to share this new anti-lag system used by Volvo. 
Although... New? I've seen people here thinking about using propane in their manifold. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPeQG40sI4

Volvo uses a pump, but I was thinking using the overboost or back pressure for the pressure tank. 
Maybe the AC compressor could be used. 

Ideas?

Turbo
Holset

12-05-2015, 03:42 PM #2
Well the big interest is to know how big tank volvo is using and what pressure, if that information is presented is is fairly easy to calculate size and different pressure that is needed, and I guess a non vnt/ vgt turbo need a lot more air..
This idea has reached my mind too, my concern is how the cool air will interact with a hot turbin wheel
In normal jet engine if one burner will go down it is about 1 second to brake the turbine, though I do not think it such a big thing here
If you want to use air in the the ac compressor, it is one way to most properly brake it,
Turbo
12-05-2015, 03:42 PM #2

Well the big interest is to know how big tank volvo is using and what pressure, if that information is presented is is fairly easy to calculate size and different pressure that is needed, and I guess a non vnt/ vgt turbo need a lot more air..
This idea has reached my mind too, my concern is how the cool air will interact with a hot turbin wheel
In normal jet engine if one burner will go down it is about 1 second to brake the turbine, though I do not think it such a big thing here
If you want to use air in the the ac compressor, it is one way to most properly brake it,

swatmugga
GT2256V

12-05-2015, 03:55 PM #3
I helped testing this development Wink

Its an 700ms --> 800ms Pusle of 8Bar going through the
exhaust gas recirculation.
This post was last modified: 12-05-2015, 03:56 PM by swatmugga.
swatmugga
12-05-2015, 03:55 PM #3

I helped testing this development Wink

Its an 700ms --> 800ms Pusle of 8Bar going through the
exhaust gas recirculation.

Tito
Holset

12-05-2015, 05:01 PM #4
Really? That's cool!
I'm stunned by the numbers.... 8 bar for less than a second doesn't seem like much...
I thought that pressure would be way higher. Especially when I look at the dual action pump.
Could it be that the turbine on modern day cars are just so small they can be easy spooled like this?
Feeding a hx40 or similar would be a lot harder I imagine.

I have a 80 liter (21 gallon) gas (propane) tank in the back from when the car had a petrol engine.
I bet you could fill that up with back pressure from the waste gate. That would only give about 3.0 bar or something similar. But it would give a small burst for a long period.

Just brainstorming here. It's Saturday evening Big Grin
This post was last modified: 12-05-2015, 05:05 PM by Tito.
Tito
12-05-2015, 05:01 PM #4

Really? That's cool!
I'm stunned by the numbers.... 8 bar for less than a second doesn't seem like much...
I thought that pressure would be way higher. Especially when I look at the dual action pump.
Could it be that the turbine on modern day cars are just so small they can be easy spooled like this?
Feeding a hx40 or similar would be a lot harder I imagine.

I have a 80 liter (21 gallon) gas (propane) tank in the back from when the car had a petrol engine.
I bet you could fill that up with back pressure from the waste gate. That would only give about 3.0 bar or something similar. But it would give a small burst for a long period.

Just brainstorming here. It's Saturday evening Big Grin

swatmugga
GT2256V

12-05-2015, 05:28 PM #5
The Turbo on the test engine was extremly small. Something like on om603 in original.
The valve was really big, and also the connection to the exhaust mainfold. around 20mm, so a lot of air was able to pass this through the 800ms

You have to imagine, not only this pulse accelerates the turbine. The engine is running too. And as you sad, these turbos today are manufactured to boost at low rpm. So an 8 Bar Pulse can have an effekt.

If i remeber correctly this system gave around 400 rpm faster spool on turbo.

I think our turbos we use are way to big for such an system. Also you have to get the timing for the pulse, on the new cars everything is done digital and i think with the kickdown swich.
swatmugga
12-05-2015, 05:28 PM #5

The Turbo on the test engine was extremly small. Something like on om603 in original.
The valve was really big, and also the connection to the exhaust mainfold. around 20mm, so a lot of air was able to pass this through the 800ms

You have to imagine, not only this pulse accelerates the turbine. The engine is running too. And as you sad, these turbos today are manufactured to boost at low rpm. So an 8 Bar Pulse can have an effekt.

If i remeber correctly this system gave around 400 rpm faster spool on turbo.

I think our turbos we use are way to big for such an system. Also you have to get the timing for the pulse, on the new cars everything is done digital and i think with the kickdown swich.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

12-05-2015, 05:30 PM #6
If you really want quick spool, use a small jet of NOS to get it spooled up and going. Lots of guys that run duramax, cummins and power stroke drag racing use a little nitrous right off the line to get big singles lit.
This post was last modified: 12-05-2015, 06:07 PM by MFSuper90.

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
12-05-2015, 05:30 PM #6

If you really want quick spool, use a small jet of NOS to get it spooled up and going. Lots of guys that run duramax, cummins and power stroke drag racing use a little nitrous right off the line to get big singles lit.

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average