STD Tuning Engine Alternative fuel filter setup?

Alternative fuel filter setup?

Alternative fuel filter setup?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

m1tch
GT2559V

10-28-2015, 03:20 AM #1
Hi all,

I am yet again chasing air leaks in my fuel lines on my W210 E300 turbodiesel, I have a feeling its the seal on the pre filter again so will carry on fault finding.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had replaced the whole fueling setup to just have a single fuel filter going from the tank feed to the cutoff solenoid?

As far as I am aware the fuel pressure is only at around 1 bar rather than the usual 50psi found in petrol engines fuel systems as its just a case of moving fuel from the tank to the injection pump.

I know of the requirement to have clean fuel going into the pump owing to all of the intricate passages within the pump and injectors but was just thinking if I could get a single large filter instead.

Does anyone know the size of the fittings on the fuel cut off solenoid? I guess I could look into simply attaching fuel line over the OEM connector and use the OEM connector as an adaptor so to speak.

Ideally I would just want to have:

Fuel feed > large fuel filter > cut off solenoid > fuel injection pump > fuel return

Has anyone done anything like this at all? I am guessing there have been other setups when using WVO due to the need for larger filters? Tempted to go along with the Lotus philosophy of "simplify then add lightness".
m1tch
10-28-2015, 03:20 AM #1

Hi all,

I am yet again chasing air leaks in my fuel lines on my W210 E300 turbodiesel, I have a feeling its the seal on the pre filter again so will carry on fault finding.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had replaced the whole fueling setup to just have a single fuel filter going from the tank feed to the cutoff solenoid?

As far as I am aware the fuel pressure is only at around 1 bar rather than the usual 50psi found in petrol engines fuel systems as its just a case of moving fuel from the tank to the injection pump.

I know of the requirement to have clean fuel going into the pump owing to all of the intricate passages within the pump and injectors but was just thinking if I could get a single large filter instead.

Does anyone know the size of the fittings on the fuel cut off solenoid? I guess I could look into simply attaching fuel line over the OEM connector and use the OEM connector as an adaptor so to speak.

Fuel feed > large fuel filter > cut off solenoid > fuel injection pump > fuel return

Has anyone done anything like this at all? I am guessing there have been other setups when using WVO due to the need for larger filters? Tempted to go along with the Lotus philosophy of "simplify then add lightness".

barrote
Superturbo

10-28-2015, 04:28 AM #2
u cant by pass the lift pump....
or u can but the car may not work as it should....
what the dificult on buing 20 o rings green ones.... in a specialized shop and change all of them ??
usually the air gets in by the prefilter o ring assy , the one wich is 20 and something mm diameter.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
10-28-2015, 04:28 AM #2

u cant by pass the lift pump....
or u can but the car may not work as it should....
what the dificult on buing 20 o rings green ones.... in a specialized shop and change all of them ??
usually the air gets in by the prefilter o ring assy , the one wich is 20 and something mm diameter.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

m1tch
GT2559V

10-28-2015, 07:25 AM #3
So I can't run an electric pump from the tank to a fuel filter then into the stop solenoid then into the injection pump inlet?
m1tch
10-28-2015, 07:25 AM #3

So I can't run an electric pump from the tank to a fuel filter then into the stop solenoid then into the injection pump inlet?

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

10-28-2015, 08:06 AM #4
(10-28-2015, 07:25 AM)m1tch So I can't run an electric pump from the tank to a fuel filter then into the stop solenoid then into the injection pump inlet?

YEs defo, you just didn't mention elec pump in your first thread.

Cheapest option is a filter head from a DAF or similar, and the stop solenoid can be removed and replaced with a drilled metal plate, tapped for a fuel fitting or a banjo.

I have this pump for next project to tackle, between tank and filter:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-FUEL-PUMP-...SwT5tWKilr

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
10-28-2015, 08:06 AM #4

(10-28-2015, 07:25 AM)m1tch So I can't run an electric pump from the tank to a fuel filter then into the stop solenoid then into the injection pump inlet?

Cheapest option is a filter head from a DAF or similar, and the stop solenoid can be removed and replaced with a drilled metal plate, tapped for a fuel fitting or a banjo.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

10-28-2015, 08:07 AM #5

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
10-28-2015, 08:07 AM #5

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

m1tch
GT2559V

10-28-2015, 08:11 AM #6
(10-28-2015, 08:07 AM)Hario

Thanks for the info, I was thinking of keeping the stock lift pump but it means that I have no way to prime the fuel system if needed so an electric pump might help that. Do I still need the stop solenoid or would it just be a case of the pump shutting off fueling internally?
m1tch
10-28-2015, 08:11 AM #6

(10-28-2015, 08:07 AM)Hario

Thanks for the info, I was thinking of keeping the stock lift pump but it means that I have no way to prime the fuel system if needed so an electric pump might help that. Do I still need the stop solenoid or would it just be a case of the pump shutting off fueling internally?

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

10-28-2015, 08:22 AM #7
The stop solenoid is just for immobiliser, EDC moves rack to zero to kill.
Just leave it hanging tucked out the way, etc. I only mentioned that because the stock lines are 6mm ID and if you fit aftermarket filter and elec pump etc, its all gona come with bigger ID lines, 8mm or so.

Elec pump on ignition live will prime for you a treat, remember to fit an inertia switch to the circuit so you don't burn to death. Those DAF heads come with a primer as well
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAF-FUEL-PRIME...OxyoVZTHPW-

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
10-28-2015, 08:22 AM #7

The stop solenoid is just for immobiliser, EDC moves rack to zero to kill.
Just leave it hanging tucked out the way, etc. I only mentioned that because the stock lines are 6mm ID and if you fit aftermarket filter and elec pump etc, its all gona come with bigger ID lines, 8mm or so.

Elec pump on ignition live will prime for you a treat, remember to fit an inertia switch to the circuit so you don't burn to death. Those DAF heads come with a primer as well

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

zeeman
Holset

10-28-2015, 09:39 AM #8
(10-28-2015, 03:20 AM)m1tch Hi all,

You can use the whole system off of a OM 603 and eliminate the o-ring style fittings to a banjo fitting instead. I do this on my Om 606 to OM 603 pump conversions.
zeeman
10-28-2015, 09:39 AM #8

(10-28-2015, 03:20 AM)m1tch Hi all,

You can use the whole system off of a OM 603 and eliminate the o-ring style fittings to a banjo fitting instead. I do this on my Om 606 to OM 603 pump conversions.

Druk
Holset

10-28-2015, 12:17 PM #9
I have this on my conversion. Filter/water-trap and primer pump all in one. I kept the main OE filter as well but did away with the fine one on the OE filter housing.

[Image: pics007.jpg]
This post was last modified: 10-28-2015, 12:17 PM by Druk.
Druk
10-28-2015, 12:17 PM #9

I have this on my conversion. Filter/water-trap and primer pump all in one. I kept the main OE filter as well but did away with the fine one on the OE filter housing.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

10-28-2015, 10:35 PM #10
How are you connecting into the injection pump inlet? That is really the missing link. I'd love to get rid of the shut off valve. It serves no real purpose and is a potential source of failure.

The SOV is sealed with six freaking O-rings. Two internally, the seal at the IP, and the three pipes. Every one of them has failed on one or more of the OM606 engines I've owned.
AlanMcR
10-28-2015, 10:35 PM #10

How are you connecting into the injection pump inlet? That is really the missing link. I'd love to get rid of the shut off valve. It serves no real purpose and is a potential source of failure.

The SOV is sealed with six freaking O-rings. Two internally, the seal at the IP, and the three pipes. Every one of them has failed on one or more of the OM606 engines I've owned.

m1tch
GT2559V

10-29-2015, 02:54 AM #11
(10-28-2015, 08:22 AM)Hario The stop solenoid is just for immobiliser, EDC moves rack to zero to kill.

Ah cool, I didn't know if the stop solenoid was specific to the pump running or something else, I know that some of the older pumps need a vac signal to turn the pump off, will simplify things no end! An increase in pipe size is also good, I was planning to uprate the fuel lines to and from the tank anyway at some point.

(10-28-2015, 09:39 AM)zeeman You can use the whole system off of a OM 603 and eliminate the o-ring style fittings to a banjo fitting instead. I do this on my Om 606 to OM 603 pump conversions.

I have a spare OM603 pump in the garage but will be keeping the EDC pump for my engine - unless you mean the fittings attached to the pump?

(10-28-2015, 12:17 PM)Druk I have this on my conversion. Filter/water-trap and primer pump all in one. I kept the main OE filter as well but did away with the fine one on the OE filter housing.

Thanks for that photo, that looks to be a very clean installation, I will look to get one of those all-in-one filters including a primer pump (no idea why the OM606 doesn't have one and the OM603 - and a lot of other diesel - do!).

(10-28-2015, 10:35 PM)AlanMcR How are you connecting into the injection pump inlet?  That is really the missing link.  I'd love to get rid of the shut off valve.  It serves no real purpose and is a potential source of failure.  

The SOV is sealed with six freaking O-rings.  Two internally, the seal at the IP, and the three pipes.  Every one of them has failed on one or more of the OM606 engines I've owned.

I need to check which lines are which and where the fuel actually enters the pump, it was mentioned that I could replace the SOV with a drilled plate to accept a banjo fitment. I can see why this setup seems to get air in all the time, it's rather complicated with so many possible O rings to leak!
m1tch
10-29-2015, 02:54 AM #11

(10-28-2015, 08:22 AM)Hario The stop solenoid is just for immobiliser, EDC moves rack to zero to kill.

Ah cool, I didn't know if the stop solenoid was specific to the pump running or something else, I know that some of the older pumps need a vac signal to turn the pump off, will simplify things no end! An increase in pipe size is also good, I was planning to uprate the fuel lines to and from the tank anyway at some point.

(10-28-2015, 09:39 AM)zeeman You can use the whole system off of a OM 603 and eliminate the o-ring style fittings to a banjo fitting instead. I do this on my Om 606 to OM 603 pump conversions.

I have a spare OM603 pump in the garage but will be keeping the EDC pump for my engine - unless you mean the fittings attached to the pump?

(10-28-2015, 12:17 PM)Druk I have this on my conversion. Filter/water-trap and primer pump all in one. I kept the main OE filter as well but did away with the fine one on the OE filter housing.

Thanks for that photo, that looks to be a very clean installation, I will look to get one of those all-in-one filters including a primer pump (no idea why the OM606 doesn't have one and the OM603 - and a lot of other diesel - do!).

(10-28-2015, 10:35 PM)AlanMcR How are you connecting into the injection pump inlet?  That is really the missing link.  I'd love to get rid of the shut off valve.  It serves no real purpose and is a potential source of failure.  

The SOV is sealed with six freaking O-rings.  Two internally, the seal at the IP, and the three pipes.  Every one of them has failed on one or more of the OM606 engines I've owned.

I need to check which lines are which and where the fuel actually enters the pump, it was mentioned that I could replace the SOV with a drilled plate to accept a banjo fitment. I can see why this setup seems to get air in all the time, it's rather complicated with so many possible O rings to leak!

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

10-29-2015, 07:37 AM #12
(10-29-2015, 02:54 AM)m1tch

Zeeman is talking about the 603 filter which uses banjo fittings and can be swapped for the 606 O-ring type to convert it to banjos.

Regarding the shut off solenoid, it has 3.no fuel lines connecting to it, 2 are pass through, ie one goes from pre-filter, through solenoid and down to lift pump. and the 3'rd fuel line going from big filter into solenoid is the one feeding the IP. So the pre-filter to lift pump would bypass the solenoid, and the 3'rd one mentioned above would banjo into your solenoid delete plate mounted on the IP. Hope that makes sense.

Google images a 606 fuel path diagram for help.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
10-29-2015, 07:37 AM #12

(10-29-2015, 02:54 AM)m1tch

Zeeman is talking about the 603 filter which uses banjo fittings and can be swapped for the 606 O-ring type to convert it to banjos.

Regarding the shut off solenoid, it has 3.no fuel lines connecting to it, 2 are pass through, ie one goes from pre-filter, through solenoid and down to lift pump. and the 3'rd fuel line going from big filter into solenoid is the one feeding the IP. So the pre-filter to lift pump would bypass the solenoid, and the 3'rd one mentioned above would banjo into your solenoid delete plate mounted on the IP. Hope that makes sense.

Google images a 606 fuel path diagram for help.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

m1tch
GT2559V

10-29-2015, 07:43 AM #13
Thanks for that, I will start accumulating parts, might look to change everything over once I get uprated elements installed and do everything in one go down that side of the engine.
m1tch
10-29-2015, 07:43 AM #13

Thanks for that, I will start accumulating parts, might look to change everything over once I get uprated elements installed and do everything in one go down that side of the engine.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

10-29-2015, 02:33 PM #14
Does someone actually make a solenoid delete plate? It seems like this would be ripe for leakage. To start with, is the face of the IP a cast surface or machined flat?
AlanMcR
10-29-2015, 02:33 PM #14

Does someone actually make a solenoid delete plate? It seems like this would be ripe for leakage. To start with, is the face of the IP a cast surface or machined flat?

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

10-30-2015, 04:58 AM #15
(10-29-2015, 02:33 PM)AlanMcR Does someone actually make a solenoid delete plate?  It seems like this would be ripe for leakage.  To start with, is the face of the IP a cast surface or machined flat?

It gets better than that, the IP has a recess to accept a plastic flange sticking out the stop solenoid which has another O-ring on it..

Drill & tapping the IP would be best but obvs requires dis-assembly, perhaps it could be requested when Diesel Mekkens your pump?

Yes its machined flat but there are cut outs etc so not idea. The solenoid it mounted with an M6 torx at each end so a 3" length of 1.5" x 1/2" bar stock aluminium with fuel grade gasket material sandwiched between is my plan.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
10-30-2015, 04:58 AM #15

(10-29-2015, 02:33 PM)AlanMcR Does someone actually make a solenoid delete plate?  It seems like this would be ripe for leakage.  To start with, is the face of the IP a cast surface or machined flat?

It gets better than that, the IP has a recess to accept a plastic flange sticking out the stop solenoid which has another O-ring on it..

Drill & tapping the IP would be best but obvs requires dis-assembly, perhaps it could be requested when Diesel Mekkens your pump?

Yes its machined flat but there are cut outs etc so not idea. The solenoid it mounted with an M6 torx at each end so a 3" length of 1.5" x 1/2" bar stock aluminium with fuel grade gasket material sandwiched between is my plan.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average