STD Tuning Engine fuel pump requirements

fuel pump requirements

fuel pump requirements

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

whipplem104
Holset

10-14-2015, 10:12 PM #1
Ok, 
So I am getting to the point of figuring out fuel pump requirements. We have a superstroker pump that is rated to 220cc per 1000 strokes. 
So at 6k rpm that will be 3000 strokes p-min. So I did the math and came up with basically I need just North of 63lb/hr fuel supply. 
It comes out like this. (220cc x 3)x 6=3960 cc per min. 3960x60=237600cc per/hr. Or 237.6l/hr. Which is also 62.77lb/hr. 
I also did this from the bsfc and got to the same point. Using a bsfc of .3. It was fairly close to this same number. 
So I did some testing today using stock w124 e320 tandem pumps. I put a gas filter screen and feed hose and hooked to the stock diesel line from the back of the car. Put a fuel pressure reg. on the feed line at the filter and am using the gas filter as a prefilter. 
Got roughly 45lb/hr at 6-7 psi of back pressure on the stock om606 fuel filter. I retested with open flow and go the same volume. Going to put a Bosch 044 on later but I was going to remove the banjo fittings and gut the check valves out to open up these pumps. A trick I did on my gas car a few years ago and netted some gains. 
But bottom line is that the stock gas setup and stock diesel filter will really flow a lot. 
Will get the rest of the data put together here in the next few weeks.
whipplem104
10-14-2015, 10:12 PM #1

Ok, 
So I am getting to the point of figuring out fuel pump requirements. We have a superstroker pump that is rated to 220cc per 1000 strokes. 
So at 6k rpm that will be 3000 strokes p-min. So I did the math and came up with basically I need just North of 63lb/hr fuel supply. 
It comes out like this. (220cc x 3)x 6=3960 cc per min. 3960x60=237600cc per/hr. Or 237.6l/hr. Which is also 62.77lb/hr. 
I also did this from the bsfc and got to the same point. Using a bsfc of .3. It was fairly close to this same number. 
So I did some testing today using stock w124 e320 tandem pumps. I put a gas filter screen and feed hose and hooked to the stock diesel line from the back of the car. Put a fuel pressure reg. on the feed line at the filter and am using the gas filter as a prefilter. 
Got roughly 45lb/hr at 6-7 psi of back pressure on the stock om606 fuel filter. I retested with open flow and go the same volume. Going to put a Bosch 044 on later but I was going to remove the banjo fittings and gut the check valves out to open up these pumps. A trick I did on my gas car a few years ago and netted some gains. 
But bottom line is that the stock gas setup and stock diesel filter will really flow a lot. 
Will get the rest of the data put together here in the next few weeks.

barrote
Superturbo

10-15-2015, 04:12 AM #2
sorry to contradict , the idea is to help avoiding expensive and time consuming mistakes...
a 220cc pump , wich there should be 8mm or more, at 3000 rpm will need to be feed positive 2BAR(guessing from my experience, till now i never had one needing above 1,2/1.3 bar , but have very few experience with the 8th mm) in the main feed galery.
basically u will need at least a electrical pump able of 250lts/h 4/5 bar. since this pumps come rated as fuel flow to the open, and press against no leak, so peak press.
of couse u dont want to use a 220cc pump after the stock filter right?
if u digg in truck aftermarket stores u will be able to find a filter twice the size of stock with the same threads, then will be easyer to swap.
to use in mid term the gas pumps are though enough to use with diesel.
regards to USOA

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
10-15-2015, 04:12 AM #2

sorry to contradict , the idea is to help avoiding expensive and time consuming mistakes...
a 220cc pump , wich there should be 8mm or more, at 3000 rpm will need to be feed positive 2BAR(guessing from my experience, till now i never had one needing above 1,2/1.3 bar , but have very few experience with the 8th mm) in the main feed galery.
basically u will need at least a electrical pump able of 250lts/h 4/5 bar. since this pumps come rated as fuel flow to the open, and press against no leak, so peak press.
of couse u dont want to use a 220cc pump after the stock filter right?
if u digg in truck aftermarket stores u will be able to find a filter twice the size of stock with the same threads, then will be easyer to swap.
to use in mid term the gas pumps are though enough to use with diesel.
regards to USOA

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

whipplem104
Holset

10-15-2015, 09:07 AM #3
The pump builder stated 1bar and I said that it was 237.6l/hr. but of course a little more for margin. And that is more fuel than we are probably going to use. And if the stock filter can flow the fuel why not? Why do things that do not need to be done?
whipplem104
10-15-2015, 09:07 AM #3

The pump builder stated 1bar and I said that it was 237.6l/hr. but of course a little more for margin. And that is more fuel than we are probably going to use. And if the stock filter can flow the fuel why not? Why do things that do not need to be done?

barrote
Superturbo

10-15-2015, 11:06 AM #4
ok, sorry my mistake...
220cc good luck then , gets us posted with it and a vídeo of that thing going Wink
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
10-15-2015, 11:06 AM #4

ok, sorry my mistake...
220cc good luck then , gets us posted with it and a vídeo of that thing going Wink
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

whipplem104
Holset

10-28-2015, 01:51 PM #5
Got the 044 pump installed today. Have to get some more fuel in the tank it draws the splash bowl dry in about 15s. Going to get the level above the bowl so it can free feed in. Looks like more than a gal/min. at about 13psi head pressure going through the stock fuel filter. This is after going through a stock gasoline filter and the pre filter as well. I will get some real data when I get some more fuel in it.
whipplem104
10-28-2015, 01:51 PM #5

Got the 044 pump installed today. Have to get some more fuel in the tank it draws the splash bowl dry in about 15s. Going to get the level above the bowl so it can free feed in. Looks like more than a gal/min. at about 13psi head pressure going through the stock fuel filter. This is after going through a stock gasoline filter and the pre filter as well. I will get some real data when I get some more fuel in it.

tgg416
K26-2

10-28-2015, 05:25 PM #6
(10-28-2015, 01:51 PM)whipplem104 Got the 044 pump installed today. Have to get some more fuel in the tank it draws the splash bowl dry in about 15s. Going to get the level above the bowl so it can free feed in. Looks like more than a gal/min. at about 13psi head pressure going through the stock fuel filter. This is after going through a stock gasoline filter and the pre filter as well. I will get some real data when I get some more fuel in it.

You will need a regulator to get the preasure down, the 044 pump gives about 6 bar and thats not working on the pump. I tried and had to regulate it down to about 2-2,5 bar. 
OM606, dieselmeken pump 180cc ( early edition)

Gwagen 460, om606.962. 722.6 Ole Fejer controller++
Gwagen 463, shitty 603,,,,at the moment,,,
Gwagen 463, 270cdi
tgg416
10-28-2015, 05:25 PM #6

(10-28-2015, 01:51 PM)whipplem104 Got the 044 pump installed today. Have to get some more fuel in the tank it draws the splash bowl dry in about 15s. Going to get the level above the bowl so it can free feed in. Looks like more than a gal/min. at about 13psi head pressure going through the stock fuel filter. This is after going through a stock gasoline filter and the pre filter as well. I will get some real data when I get some more fuel in it.

You will need a regulator to get the preasure down, the 044 pump gives about 6 bar and thats not working on the pump. I tried and had to regulate it down to about 2-2,5 bar. 
OM606, dieselmeken pump 180cc ( early edition)

Gwagen 460, om606.962. 722.6 Ole Fejer controller++
Gwagen 463, shitty 603,,,,at the moment,,,
Gwagen 463, 270cdi

whipplem104
Holset

10-28-2015, 06:25 PM #7
Thank you we are going to test everything ahead of time. And have a pressure regulator ready to go.
I just tested at 12vlts and at 14.7vlts. 12vlts I got 66 gph at 12psi head pressure going into the filter and at 14.7vlts I got 80gph at 15 psi of head pressure.
whipplem104
10-28-2015, 06:25 PM #7

Thank you we are going to test everything ahead of time. And have a pressure regulator ready to go.
I just tested at 12vlts and at 14.7vlts. 12vlts I got 66 gph at 12psi head pressure going into the filter and at 14.7vlts I got 80gph at 15 psi of head pressure.

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-30-2015, 07:05 AM #8
Is this an in-tank install?
raysorenson
10-30-2015, 07:05 AM #8

Is this an in-tank install?

whipplem104
Holset

10-30-2015, 08:21 AM #9
No. I switched the sock and feed line to a standard E320 gasoline setup and started with stock E320 fuel pumps and basket. It just bolts in the car. They were cavitating as well but not as severe so I think I could have gotten some better numbers out of them as well. Maybe another couple of gph. The 044 has the same size outlet fitting as the Mercedes stock stuff so it really just needs a spacer to run one pump in the two pump basket. I am going to use the stock gasoline fuel filter as a prefilter and everything else will be stock E300 diesel lines and filter etc. I am bypassing the fuel heater as well. Really simple and clean setup that does not require really much of any fabrication. I am going to add the fuel pressure regulator as mentioned and I decided to mount that in the back by the fuel pump. So it will t into the return near the tank.
The splash bowl is the stock one in the tank. I do not know if it is dirty and that is why it can not refill fast enough or if that is just the way it is. I peaked in with a borescope but could not really see much. Could not get a good clear view of the setup. But there is a large hole on the top of it so when the fuel is higher it is not a concern.
whipplem104
10-30-2015, 08:21 AM #9

No. I switched the sock and feed line to a standard E320 gasoline setup and started with stock E320 fuel pumps and basket. It just bolts in the car. They were cavitating as well but not as severe so I think I could have gotten some better numbers out of them as well. Maybe another couple of gph. The 044 has the same size outlet fitting as the Mercedes stock stuff so it really just needs a spacer to run one pump in the two pump basket. I am going to use the stock gasoline fuel filter as a prefilter and everything else will be stock E300 diesel lines and filter etc. I am bypassing the fuel heater as well. Really simple and clean setup that does not require really much of any fabrication. I am going to add the fuel pressure regulator as mentioned and I decided to mount that in the back by the fuel pump. So it will t into the return near the tank.
The splash bowl is the stock one in the tank. I do not know if it is dirty and that is why it can not refill fast enough or if that is just the way it is. I peaked in with a borescope but could not really see much. Could not get a good clear view of the setup. But there is a large hole on the top of it so when the fuel is higher it is not a concern.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average