STD Tuning Engine OM606 into W203

OM606 into W203

OM606 into W203

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Matej
GT2256V

09-22-2015, 01:13 AM #1
Hello gentlemen,
Has anyone on here undertaken this swap? Obviously we all know of Black Smoke Racing, but that is a dedicated race car while I would be interested in a bit more street-friendly vehicle.

Currently I have a 190E that I intend to swap an OM606 into for semi-daily driving and occasional drift events, but every day I am tempted to pick up a W203, especially with how cheap they can be found now.
I specifically want the W203 wagon, which again sounds like copying Black Smoke Racing and it is partially true since no one can deny they pioneered the swap, but besides the 190E the C-class wagons are my favorite (attainable) Mercedes vehicles (if only there was a W201 wagon).
However, the other two big reasons behind choosing the W203 is that it is the only C-class available in wagon form in the US, plus along with the W211 they are the last generations of chassis into which the OM606 would be a bolt-in ordeal, since they were available with the OM61x and OM64x motors.

Mechanically, this should make the swap a drop-in:
- OM648 rear-sump oil pump and pan.
- Motor mount arms from W211 E320 CDI.
- 6-speed transmission from C320 (I already have a 5-speed transmission, but I do not know if the older style shifter would fit).
- Clutch pedal assembly from a manual W203.
- Cable operated throttle pedal (possibly from W202 or W210).

Here is what is putting me off:
- Wiring nightmare, not sure what all would need to be changed/hacked/rewired to at least get the bare necessities (such as the sunroof) to work properly.
- Legality. I doubt anyone would actually ever check or even know what engine they were looking at, but generally the law is more open to putting newer engines in older cars as opposed to vice versa, not to mention it would be a diesel in an originally gasoline chassis (although so will be the 190E).
- No handbrake. Unfortunately the 190E is the only Mercedes with a handbrake, all other models have the foot parking brake. I wonder if the W201 handbrake could be retrofitted, since the mechanism looks very similar where it enters the cabin.
- All in all realizing I took on more work and trouble than I can handle.

If anyone has any experience with this swap, I would greatly appreciate any input.
Or at least talk me out of it, so I stop considering getting rid of my immaculate 190E. Smile

Irony.cc
Matej
09-22-2015, 01:13 AM #1

Hello gentlemen,
Has anyone on here undertaken this swap? Obviously we all know of Black Smoke Racing, but that is a dedicated race car while I would be interested in a bit more street-friendly vehicle.

Currently I have a 190E that I intend to swap an OM606 into for semi-daily driving and occasional drift events, but every day I am tempted to pick up a W203, especially with how cheap they can be found now.
I specifically want the W203 wagon, which again sounds like copying Black Smoke Racing and it is partially true since no one can deny they pioneered the swap, but besides the 190E the C-class wagons are my favorite (attainable) Mercedes vehicles (if only there was a W201 wagon).
However, the other two big reasons behind choosing the W203 is that it is the only C-class available in wagon form in the US, plus along with the W211 they are the last generations of chassis into which the OM606 would be a bolt-in ordeal, since they were available with the OM61x and OM64x motors.

Mechanically, this should make the swap a drop-in:
- OM648 rear-sump oil pump and pan.
- Motor mount arms from W211 E320 CDI.
- 6-speed transmission from C320 (I already have a 5-speed transmission, but I do not know if the older style shifter would fit).
- Clutch pedal assembly from a manual W203.
- Cable operated throttle pedal (possibly from W202 or W210).

Here is what is putting me off:
- Wiring nightmare, not sure what all would need to be changed/hacked/rewired to at least get the bare necessities (such as the sunroof) to work properly.
- Legality. I doubt anyone would actually ever check or even know what engine they were looking at, but generally the law is more open to putting newer engines in older cars as opposed to vice versa, not to mention it would be a diesel in an originally gasoline chassis (although so will be the 190E).
- No handbrake. Unfortunately the 190E is the only Mercedes with a handbrake, all other models have the foot parking brake. I wonder if the W201 handbrake could be retrofitted, since the mechanism looks very similar where it enters the cabin.
- All in all realizing I took on more work and trouble than I can handle.

If anyone has any experience with this swap, I would greatly appreciate any input.
Or at least talk me out of it, so I stop considering getting rid of my immaculate 190E. Smile

Irony.cc

ho55
GTA2056V

09-22-2015, 01:28 AM #2
This may give you some ideas, not exactly the same model
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/show...t=pryantcc
ho55
09-22-2015, 01:28 AM #2

This may give you some ideas, not exactly the same model
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/show...t=pryantcc

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

09-22-2015, 05:54 AM #3
Why would the W203 foot/hand brake stop working?

Most of the engine sensors will be plug in because both engines use Bosch sensors, albeit some wiring may have to be lengthened, that gives you engine temp and hopefully rpm if the sensors haven't changed between 202/203.

If I've learned anything from my 606/202 swap, you'll want the 270CDI W203 engine mounts - Because 270CDI & 606 bell housings are the same I'm guessing engine mounting lugs on the block haven't changed either?

Leave all the ECU in place and just coil up the petrol engine loom parts that you aren't using, there will be the BAS(?) light constantly on the dash so you will have to remove the bulb from the cluster to solve that one.

If the 203 has a throttle potentiometer under the bonnet like the rest of them, you'd be better off simply drilling the lever on the pot and fabricating another cable pull mechanism connecting the pot to the IP, this would also give you an easy to access and adjust mechanism to sort out the pedal throw to IP lever throw issue others have had to solve.

Unless your 203 donor is 6 cylinder, you will need various bits from a 6-cyl version to move the rad etc forward.
EDIT: They came in V6 not I6...
I didn't need a rear sump in my 202-606 swap, just had to fab spacers to move the ARB down 2", though BSR had to rear sump I guess..

I would just get the 606 in there and cut whatever doesn't fit?
I intend to do the same swap at some point, because here in UK we get 270CDI W203 wagons..

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
09-22-2015, 05:54 AM #3

Why would the W203 foot/hand brake stop working?

Most of the engine sensors will be plug in because both engines use Bosch sensors, albeit some wiring may have to be lengthened, that gives you engine temp and hopefully rpm if the sensors haven't changed between 202/203.

If I've learned anything from my 606/202 swap, you'll want the 270CDI W203 engine mounts - Because 270CDI & 606 bell housings are the same I'm guessing engine mounting lugs on the block haven't changed either?

Leave all the ECU in place and just coil up the petrol engine loom parts that you aren't using, there will be the BAS(?) light constantly on the dash so you will have to remove the bulb from the cluster to solve that one.

If the 203 has a throttle potentiometer under the bonnet like the rest of them, you'd be better off simply drilling the lever on the pot and fabricating another cable pull mechanism connecting the pot to the IP, this would also give you an easy to access and adjust mechanism to sort out the pedal throw to IP lever throw issue others have had to solve.

Unless your 203 donor is 6 cylinder, you will need various bits from a 6-cyl version to move the rad etc forward.
EDIT: They came in V6 not I6...
I didn't need a rear sump in my 202-606 swap, just had to fab spacers to move the ARB down 2", though BSR had to rear sump I guess..

I would just get the 606 in there and cut whatever doesn't fit?
I intend to do the same swap at some point, because here in UK we get 270CDI W203 wagons..

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Matej
GT2256V

09-22-2015, 04:31 PM #4
Great to know, thank you. My main worry was if I would need to completely rewire the car to get the cluster, lights, wipers, and windows to work.
From the pictures of the throttle pedal I found, it seems the W203 is completely electronic, but of similar shape to the W202/W210.

The handbrake is simply due to wanting to make it a part-time drift car. Smile
This post was last modified: 09-22-2015, 04:40 PM by Matej.

Irony.cc
Matej
09-22-2015, 04:31 PM #4

Great to know, thank you. My main worry was if I would need to completely rewire the car to get the cluster, lights, wipers, and windows to work.
From the pictures of the throttle pedal I found, it seems the W203 is completely electronic, but of similar shape to the W202/W210.

Irony.cc

baldur
Fast

09-23-2015, 06:20 AM #5
If you want to be able to lock the rear wheels the only way is a hydraulic handbrake. Works much better than any cable operated hand brake.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
09-23-2015, 06:20 AM #5

If you want to be able to lock the rear wheels the only way is a hydraulic handbrake. Works much better than any cable operated hand brake.

Baldur Gislason

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

09-23-2015, 07:49 AM #6
(09-22-2015, 04:31 PM)Matej Great to know, thank you. My main worry was if I would need to completely rewire the car to get the cluster, lights, wipers, and windows to work.

Lights and wipers and all other ancil.'s work with the engine turned off so why not with the engine removed? As long as you don't short circuit anything or remove any wiring/ECU's needed for dash control it should be fine.
Only issues I can think are connecting the factory wiring to the 606 sensors, but like I said they all use Bosch so likely plug and play, aside from some lengthening maybe.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
09-23-2015, 07:49 AM #6

(09-22-2015, 04:31 PM)Matej Great to know, thank you. My main worry was if I would need to completely rewire the car to get the cluster, lights, wipers, and windows to work.

Lights and wipers and all other ancil.'s work with the engine turned off so why not with the engine removed? As long as you don't short circuit anything or remove any wiring/ECU's needed for dash control it should be fine.
Only issues I can think are connecting the factory wiring to the 606 sensors, but like I said they all use Bosch so likely plug and play, aside from some lengthening maybe.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average