STD Maintenance General Trap Oxidizer?

Trap Oxidizer?

Trap Oxidizer?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TotalDiesel
Unregistered

09-11-2009, 08:10 PM #1
I viewed a video on youtube about a recall on the 300sdl. I recently purchased an '86 300SDL. The recall had to do with a "Trap Oxidizer" and exhaust system. I dont know what a trap oxidizer does to the engine but have read that the EPA will replace it free. Does anyone know anything about this recall? Is this the reason why my exhaust is so clean?
TotalDiesel
09-11-2009, 08:10 PM #1

I viewed a video on youtube about a recall on the 300sdl. I recently purchased an '86 300SDL. The recall had to do with a "Trap Oxidizer" and exhaust system. I dont know what a trap oxidizer does to the engine but have read that the EPA will replace it free. Does anyone know anything about this recall? Is this the reason why my exhaust is so clean?

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-11-2009, 08:24 PM #2
(09-11-2009, 08:10 PM)TotalDiesel Does anyone know anything about this recall?
Look on the right side of the engine. If there is a football sized metal object on the exhaust you need the recall done. if there is a cast iron pipe with a heat shield, its already been done.

Quote:Is this the reason why my exhaust is so clean?
Yes. The TrapOx is a particulate filter, the same thing new diesel engines are getting, except a much older design that uses passive regeneration (engine heat made during normal operation) instead of active regenration (a computer makes the exhaust hot by injecting extra fuel) to burn off the soot.

If you have the football, I suggest you get the pipe off an engine that has already had the recall performed.
ForcedInduction
09-11-2009, 08:24 PM #2

(09-11-2009, 08:10 PM)TotalDiesel Does anyone know anything about this recall?
Look on the right side of the engine. If there is a football sized metal object on the exhaust you need the recall done. if there is a cast iron pipe with a heat shield, its already been done.

Quote:Is this the reason why my exhaust is so clean?
Yes. The TrapOx is a particulate filter, the same thing new diesel engines are getting, except a much older design that uses passive regeneration (engine heat made during normal operation) instead of active regenration (a computer makes the exhaust hot by injecting extra fuel) to burn off the soot.

If you have the football, I suggest you get the pipe off an engine that has already had the recall performed.

TotalDiesel
Unregistered

09-11-2009, 08:45 PM #3
okay well my exhaust has the thin insulation and DOES NOT look like a football. So does this mean that I dont need to replace all that stuff?
TotalDiesel
09-11-2009, 08:45 PM #3

okay well my exhaust has the thin insulation and DOES NOT look like a football. So does this mean that I dont need to replace all that stuff?

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

09-11-2009, 08:56 PM #4
couldn't you just remove it all and put in a straight pipe??? Trap oxidizer that sounds like performance robbing crap!
This post was last modified: 09-11-2009, 08:57 PM by willbhere4u.

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
09-11-2009, 08:56 PM #4

couldn't you just remove it all and put in a straight pipe??? Trap oxidizer that sounds like performance robbing crap!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

TotalDiesel
Unregistered

09-11-2009, 09:11 PM #5
from what I see I believe it might have been removed and replaced with a larger 2.5" insulated cast iron manifold extension. I am converting the standard exhaust to straight.
TotalDiesel
09-11-2009, 09:11 PM #5

from what I see I believe it might have been removed and replaced with a larger 2.5" insulated cast iron manifold extension. I am converting the standard exhaust to straight.

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-11-2009, 09:29 PM #6
The recall has already been done. They removed the trapox, installed a bypass pipe and installed a new exhaust system that has an updated OxCat under the passenger floor. Replacing the exhaust will eliminate it.

After the exhaust, the next upgrade you should look into is getting a W140 300SD/350SD exhaust manifold. Its a normal design that goes straight to the turbo instead of that bypass BS. Quicker spoolup and less energy lost to heating the air.
This post was last modified: 09-11-2009, 09:55 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
09-11-2009, 09:29 PM #6

The recall has already been done. They removed the trapox, installed a bypass pipe and installed a new exhaust system that has an updated OxCat under the passenger floor. Replacing the exhaust will eliminate it.

After the exhaust, the next upgrade you should look into is getting a W140 300SD/350SD exhaust manifold. Its a normal design that goes straight to the turbo instead of that bypass BS. Quicker spoolup and less energy lost to heating the air.

TotalDiesel
Unregistered

09-13-2009, 08:46 AM #7
alright, Ill take a look at the setup on my '83 300SD and see what can be done. with the stock airbox/bracket removed with a cold air intake, Its nice that the turbo is easily accessible in the 300SD, not so much the SDL. Thanks alot everyone for clearing that one up for me. Does anyone need an exhaust system for an SDL cause its goin out the door.
TotalDiesel
09-13-2009, 08:46 AM #7

alright, Ill take a look at the setup on my '83 300SD and see what can be done. with the stock airbox/bracket removed with a cold air intake, Its nice that the turbo is easily accessible in the 300SD, not so much the SDL. Thanks alot everyone for clearing that one up for me. Does anyone need an exhaust system for an SDL cause its goin out the door.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average